• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

COPPER AGE BOOKS FUTURE VALUES

177 posts in this topic

Do you think a time will come (like in 20 years) when these books will become like the bronze age is today in terms of price increases. You can get almost any nm issue at $1 or $2. Except for the key issues. I was just going through some of my boxes and remember reading certain issues and when I bought them. Then I come to realize that these books are 15 years old and have yet to see a major price increase. If everybody thinks most of these books will be worth nothing and the majority of collectors do not "preserve" them like the moderns are today wouldn't they basically become like the bronze age books. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't a lot of people believe these books would never be worth nothing so alot were left to beat up in quarter boxes?

This time period is really the last period before CGC slabbing services so will this have an effect on the values or were too many people already perserving by this period.

If the majority of readers ever return to this era(the late 20 to 30 crowd) wouldn't it put pressure on the prices for people wanting to get in touch with their youth 20 years from now? Maybe I'm just wishful thinking.

Also any idea of print runs on major titles back then.

Open to opinions. popcorn.gif

Some Copper Age books will be $10 to $100...

even though they are currently $1 to $10. Not all... some.

Just like some Bronze Age books will be $100 to $1,000

even though they are currently $10 to $100...

And some Silver Age books will be $1,000 to $10,000

even though they are currently $100 to $1,000.

Invest in the RIGHT stuff, and you'll probably return 10times in the long run,

whether you're talking about Copper, Bronze, Silver, Gold... cloud9.gif

Invest in the WRONG stuff, of any age, and you'll be lucky to break even. frustrated.gif

(That being said, it's easy to see how a $1 Silver Age book is a good idea,

and $1,000 Copper Age books are probably a bad idea.)

flowerred.gif

I think a lot of people were wise to various forms of comic protection when it came to their books in the Copper Age. That plus high print runs pretty much forsee's many books worth only a $1-2 for the next 50 years. Like the Bronze Age, a handful of key books will definately rise in value IF they are in high grade. Probably 9.6 or higher will be the winning number. So a few buys of well known and loved books won't be a bad idea persay if you enjoy the run and believe in the comic.

Just remeber that even some of the more interesting stuff of the Copper Age had retardedly high runs. Anyone not able to find a 9.6 Web of Spider-Man #1? Not that it isn't worth having but it just won't appreciate as fast as GI Joe #21 in the same grade. See what I'm saying? Do your homework on each book you're potentially thinking about picking up.

i would actually say yes ...10 or 20 years from now people will look back and wish that had bought these books from the mid 80's..certain books from the mid 70's are starting to gain some momentum nowIve seen many a raw book locally from the Cap kirby run or byrne avengers run selling for guide..9.0+ minimum of course..Plus i tend to believe what is overlooked now will become the in thing down the road.Just collect what you like and enjoy them.

smirk.gif

I agree that higher grades will be more prevalent. Even through the 70's, collecting wasn't as big as it is today.

But I wonder, conversely, if the hobby ever grows by leaps and bounds, will the smaller print runs on some of these books raise the value? (Aren't there less copies sold now than in the early 90's? I was on collecting hiatus then. )

None of the Marvel/DC mainstream 1980's books will ever worth any serious cash, as print runs were high and collectors saved those books pristine and en masse. There's just too many of them in HG for prices to ever spike like Bronze did, plus there are no Wolverines or Punishers in the Copper Age, as virtually nothing *happened* during those years.

If you want to find books with some upward potential, look at the Independent superhero books with a fanbase and some potential, but it's likely a bit too late for those too.

true.There where no big first apperances in the 80's.I would say the cut off would be 84/85 anything after that is not going to be worth holding onto.unless of course if its AMZ 300 or one of the independent books.and anything from the mid m70's-mid 80's is only good if its high grade cgc or high grade raw copies.all you have to do is look in the dollar bins at a LCS and you see tons and tons of books from the early 90's that they STILL havent gotten rid of.

In ten years when the next generation of writers/artists reach into the past to pull some formerly obscure storyline(think today and JLA 166),you'll see a mad rush for those books. Be they an X-Factor,a Defenders,a Ms Marvel,or perhaps a book like DC's New Artists Tryout Books,the price will go bonkers,and demand will outstrip supply.

it sure makes sense that none of these books willever be worth anything...but... time marches on and all things being equal, demand will appear for many of them. And there will always be fewer copies for sale in HHG (high high grade) than the new demand can satisfy.

Im not buying them... just setting out the circumstances wherein they will be wanted. The 30 year rule is not a mirage!

nothing worth buying from 85-98 unless of course its an independant or 9.8-10.0 book or my personal favorite from the time mcfarlanes run on spiderman.Most everything else can easily be had for under cover price.Who knows maybe 20 years from now they may be worth something but the prices wont increase like early bronze books have..heck...ive even noticed marvels raw in 9.0+ from the mid to late 70's(like avengers 150-200 or kirby's cap run)) getting a little harder to find or atleast compared to 10 years ago.Anything is possible though everyone thinks they are garbage now so its completely possible 20 years from now they are like bronze books are today(Just some wishful thinking because ive got plently i can sell) collect what you like and enjoy the hobby!

nothing worh toughing from 85-98 unless of course its an independant...

The 1930s are "Golden" because of that newcomer DC.

The 1960s are "Silver" because of that newcomer Marvel.

Why wouldn't an age like Copper be defined by its new publishers?

Forget Marvel and DC for Copper... except for specific books (maybe 1 in 1,000),

they are not going to rival anything important from Golden, Silver, or Bronze Age from Marvel & DC.

But the new publishers don't have any "earlier counterparts" in previous ages.

I'd vote for Dark Horse to be the dark horse in terms of future Copper values.

If you enjoy them, and you can still buy 'em cheap... why not?

(I used to vote for Valiant, but "still buy 'em cheap" isn't as true for the best issues anymore.)

plus there are no Wolverines or Punishers in the Copper Age, as virtually nothing *happened* during those years.

Wolverine 1. confused-smiley-013.gif

I meant that there were no big superhero first appearances in Copper, along the lines of Wolverine or Punisher in the Bronze.

plus there are no Wolverines or Punishers in the Copper Age, as virtually nothing *happened* during those years.

Wolverine 1. confused-smiley-013.gif

I meant that there were no big superhero first appearances in Copper, along the lines of Wolverine or Punisher in the Bronze.

True, though I would argue that TMNT 1 and Albedo 2 are right up there with Hulk 181 and ASM 129 in importance.

I've sold off most of my titles that consisted mainly of books from the 80s and 90s banking on the fact that there'll be little to no appreciation, AND if for some strange reason I ever want them again, I can get em cheap anyoldtime.

True, though I would argue that TMNT 1 and Albedo 2 are right up there with Hulk 181 and ASM 129 in importance.

Yessir, and that comment referred to Marvel/DC. Here's my original post:

None of the Marvel/DC mainstream 1980's books will ever worth any serious cash, as print runs were high and collectors saved those books pristine and en masse. There's just too many of them in HG for prices to ever spike like Bronze did, plus there are no Wolverines or Punishers in the Copper Age, as virtually nothing *happened* during those years.

If you want to find books with some upward potential, look at the Independent superhero books with a fanbase and some potential, but it's likely a bit too late for those too.

Yessir, and that comment referred to Marvel/DC. Here's my original post:

Didn't see the original post. thumbsup2.gif