• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

COPPER AGE BOOKS FUTURE VALUES

177 posts in this topic

I sold a VF+ish Avengers Annual for $12.50 + $3 s/h recently. The sort of book a lot of people would try to sell as NM, but I just didn't feel right calling it NM. I had tried to sell it auction a few times and listed it in my store for a while before it sold. So, as a total cost, about half guide, which I was pretty happy with.

$45 is silly. There's just so much more out there you can get for $45.

I sold a VF+ish Avengers Annual for $12.50 + $3 s/h recently. The sort of book a lot of people would try to sell as NM, but I just didn't feel right calling it NM. I had tried to sell it auction a few times and listed it in my store for a while before it sold. So, as a total cost, about half guide, which I was pretty happy with.

$45 is silly. There's just so much more out there you can get for $45.

A few months back, I got my (slabbed) 9.4 copy off eBay for $16.50

Why 87? I have a few but other than the Crisis X-Over what?

Superman and Earth-Prime Superboy, only appearance of that Superboy, who is now one of the four heroes to come out of the crystal in Infinite Crisis 1.

Why 87? I have a few but other than the Crisis X-Over what?

Superman and Earth-Prime Superboy, only appearance of that Superboy, who is now one of the four heroes to come out of the crystal in Infinite Crisis 1.

Here you go FD

cover

There are a lot of great comments on this thread, let me share my OPINION

Books from the 1980's to early 90's, while some will surely go up in value as they become older, MOST will only gain value in small increments. As an anology, if you work at your job for 30 years and get a 3% raise every year, you will be making $70,600 at year 30. While this is definitely a gain in price, it barely meets inflation concerns.

A comic worth $10 today will be worth $23.57 in year 30. Yes a definite gain, but is it worth the hassle of caring for the book for that long? (from an investment standpoint) Not only that, most people buying in today's time are so concerned with condition that only the highest of the highest grades will matter.

Do you think back in the 70's and prior, the masses purchased 2 or more copies of their favorite comic? One to read, one to keep raw and the best looking one to slab? The Copper age collector purchased a book and put it directly into a board / bag, making high grades very common. Even more recent collectors are buying and getting books slabbed right away.

So yes, as comic age there will be some small benefit of price increase, but not nearly what we have seen from the Silver or Broze age to today. It's all about condition conditon condition.

Agree / disagree??

The Copper age collector purchased a book and put it directly into a board / bag, making high grades very common. Even more recent collectors are buying and getting books slabbed right away.

Agree / disagree??

I agree with you, however, Copper Age books didn't start "life" as CGC 10,

and then lose their perfection due to improper storage.

I would bet that most Copper Age books were already around 9.4 condition

the minute they were purchased (and bagged and boarded),

meaning that while there are still plenty in "high grade"...

the number that are still in 9.8 today is probably going to remain relatively low.

(On the order of about 1/3 or 1/4 of the print run (at best), usually closer to 1/10.)

Yes, there are still plenty of 9.8's to go around for most Copper Age books,

but lifelong protection doesn't ensure that the books are the "highest" high grades

if they didn't start that way.

i doubt that 10% of the copies out there are 9.8s. i'd be shocked if 1% of the copies are 9.8s. i'd be surprised if .5% of the copies are 9.8s. probably more like .25% of the copies and that might be stretching it.

before someone thinks i'm claiming these are "rare", .25% of a 350K print-run is 875 copies, which is plenty to make these books common enough that nobody cares about them being 9.8s unless they're some sort of key.

x-men 266 and ASM 300 are books that are sent in for slabbing that had print-runs in the many hundreds of thousands and you don't see THAT many 9.8s coming back.... and they were books that people would have taken care of off the rack because both were "hot" relatively shortly thereafter. I'm not saying all or most have even been sent in, but a lot have, particularly by people who are anal and kept them in uber high grade.

Nor does bagging and boarding perfectly preserve a book for 10-15 years. Unfortunately, I have many a once perfect book that were bagged and boarded and are no longer perfect.

How many 9.4s and 9.6s there are out there is another story.

Books from the 1980's to early 90's, while some will surely go up in value as they become older, MOST will only gain value in small increments.

I disagree. New comics are a lot like new cars. Once you drive one off the lot (or, in our case, take it home from your LCS), it immediately depreciates in value. The overwhelming majority of new books won't even fetch cover price a few months after their publication date, even in pristine condition. That's the cold, hard reality of the situation. Most books from the 1980s to the present will be perennial quarter or dollar bin candidates or subject to bulk sale on eBay at a tiny fraction of Guide values.

I agree that 9.8s will be far scarcer than the run of the mill bagged and boarded 9.4 copy. But, except for those already considered keys, and the odd issue here or there that will get a bump in interest suddenly (like JLA 166-8 are experiencing now). well, Im not too excited about that many Copper books getting super collectible or difficult to put together a run of. And gee, what IS a 9.8 anyway? I dont put too much stock in th ebankable difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8 to care about buying "one of the best copies around!"

...but who knows. The Copper books willl hit the magical 30 year mark soon enough. Will history repeat itself? Wasnt that long ago dealers couldnt be bothered to bring 70s crappola books to shows! So, we shall see what develops.

the 80s books might just continue a natural progression of comics collecting:

60s - need a 9.4 to be 'collectible grade' and many commons easy to find due to avid collectors

70s - need a 9.6 to be 'collectible grade' with many more pristine multiple OO collections and warehouse finds

80s - need a 9.8 to be sellable at any price over cover price or so. Tons of preserved copies around

90s - who knows? Early 90s - absolutely zero demand

late 90s shortages might fuel prices if buyers show up.

00s - well, we havent even named this decade yet, so its anybodys guess what will happen