• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suggestions for $100,00 portfolio
1 1

47 posts in this topic

Came into an unexpected windfall. It was actually expected but the size of it was a shock. I was already well prepared for retirement and don't have any immediate needs or even wants. My current thoughts are to use some of it buy 12-20 CGC books, most likely SA Marvels but if a classic GA cover came along, I might go for it.  Suggestions for either individual candidates or an entire portfolio are most welcome. Portfolios should have at least eight, and less than 25 books.  Might consider some artwork.

with the MCU ( which had a hand in the steady growth of the marvel SA keys) getting ready to transition (lots of Phase 1 actors coming off contracts)I would be hesitant to sink into Marvel SA keys (outside of AF15) untill I undeestood where it was heading in this next phase.

I'm not sure if I would refer to any comic book acquisitions as a "portfolio", but this is probably what I would buy:

8.0 X-Men 1

9.6 X-Mex 94

9.6 X-Men GSX 1

8.0 ASM 1

9.0 ASM 14

9.6 ASM 129

9.4 Hulk 181

9.0 Daredevil 1

9.0 Avengers 4

9.6 FF #48

9.0 Detective 359

I'm not even sure what all that would cost but I'm guessing $100K would get it done. AF15 would be first on the list but I'm not sure I would be happy with what even $100K would get you for just the one book.

3 minutes ago, paul747 said:

Congrats !  what key books do you already have?

Not really important, but some of my keys are Superman 14, multiple Spidey 14s, multiple Avengers 1 and 4, some HG early JLA, early FFs and Spideys, All Winners 1 ,All Select 1, some Marvel Mysterys,

bunch of Timley Captain Americas, some Schomburg Nedors. Typical stuff.

2 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Not really important, but some of my keys are Superman 14, multiple Spidey 14s, multiple Avengers 1 and 4, some HG early JLA, early FFs and Spideys, All Winners 1 ,All Select 1, some Marvel Mysterys,

bunch of Timley Captain Americas, some Schomburg Nedors. Typical stuff.

I say:

FF #1  7.0

Hulk #1 6.0- 7.0

T.O.S #39  8.0

AMS #1  7.0

I think all of these are going to keep going up, if money is the game. They are also awesome to look at !

Or a 7.0 AF #15  but that's eggs in one basket...

Or early batman books .....

Or... buy the bronze top keys in  9.8  ( also awesome to look at.)

#realworldproblems

good luck !

For pleasure of ownership and capital growth i'd go for 2 or 3 high end pieces of O/A.  And I say that as someone who doesn't currently own any.  Just go with an artist you love on a popular character. 

9 hours ago, shadroch said:

Came into an unexpected windfall. It was actually expected but the size of it was a shock. I was already well prepared for retirement and don't have any immediate needs or even wants. My current thoughts are to use some of it buy 12-20 CGC books, most likely SA Marvels but if a classic GA cover came along, I might go for it.  Suggestions for either individual candidates or an entire portfolio are most welcome. Portfolios should have at least eight, and less than 25 books.  Might consider some artwork.

Why does everyone automatically assume it's $100,000? I only see a 1 followed by 4 zeros up there in the title.   (shrug)

If you're planning to spend $100,000, you're first going to have to wrangle another zero from somewhere.  :juggle:

I wish I had paid more attention in math class, so I could figure out how much $100,00 is. How many fingers should I hold up?

1 hour ago, James J Johnson said:

Why does everyone automatically assume it's $100,000? I only see a 1 followed by 4 zeros up there in the title.   (shrug)

If you're planning to spend $100,000, you're first going to have to wrangle another zero from somewhere.  :juggle:

8 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

maybe buy another zero first