• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USPS drops the ball
3 3

50 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

What are the odds it got delivered to an actual comic shop by mistake like that? Astounding! 

That was the most interesting thing about the situation.

Second interesting aspect is that the USPS supervisor was able to show me on a map where the package was delivered to, even though there was no signature confirmation.

29 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

That was the most interesting thing about the situation.

Second interesting aspect is that the USPS supervisor was able to show me on a map where the package was delivered to, even though there was no signature confirmation.

Combining GPS technology with their hand held delivery scanners when the delivery "event" happens seems like a logical feature that they would use internally.  Think of all the data your cell phone's GPS attaches when you take a picture.

5 minutes ago, bababooey said:

Combining GPS technology with their hand held delivery scanners when the delivery "event" happens seems like a logical feature that they would use internally.  Think of all the data your cell phone's GPS attaches when you take a picture.

Maybe the USPS has access to top secret government technology, but the GPS on my iPhone photos is routinely off. Photos taken at the same place at the same time can show up as being taken in different buildings if you drill down into the map far enough. Not particularly helpful for a delivery snafu.

3 minutes ago, mysterio said:

Maybe the USPS has access to top secret government technology, but the GPS on my iPhone photos is routinely off. Photos taken at the same place at the same time can show up as being taken in different buildings if you drill down into the map far enough. Not particularly helpful for a delivery snafu.

I'm sure it would be hit and miss which is why they'd only use it internally....but their devices would give better data than a cell phone when properly configured.

7 hours ago, mysterio said:
7 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:

A lot of eBay sellers will not ship to a PO Box.

I haven't had that problem yet, but that happens. A PO box will still help in all the other cases.

I have it set up in ebay not to ship to PO Boxes but every now and then, one order comes through with a PO Box address. I just ship it-- no problems so far.

I left that set up about PO Boxes alone as it was something I established when I first started selling. The ones I am really more worried ab out sending to are the APO boxes. Found that it was often soldiers trying to get you to send contraband to middle eastern countries. I don't advise ever doing that.

1 hour ago, 01TheDude said:
9 hours ago, mysterio said:
9 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:

A lot of eBay sellers will not ship to a PO Box.

I haven't had that problem yet, but that happens. A PO box will still help in all the other cases.

I have it set up in ebay not to ship to PO Boxes but every now and then, one order comes through with a PO Box address. I just ship it-- no problems so far.

I left that set up about PO Boxes alone as it was something I established when I first started selling. The ones I am really more worried ab out sending to are the APO boxes. Found that it was often soldiers trying to get you to send contraband to middle eastern countries. I don't advise ever doing that.

What contraband items do you usually sell? 

Just a followup:

Got a call today from the first post office supervisor I dealt with. Let him know I recovered the package from 80 Clinton Street / Sleeping Giant.

Asked the supervisor how this mis-delivery may have happened.  He told me the carrier has only been on the job for about two weeks and there's been a couple of incorrectly delivered packages on his route.  

My wife just subscribed to a usps service that she'll get an email that shows pictures of each piece of mail that was delivered that day, today was the first day and it was dead on. We didn't  get any junk mail , I doubt they will scan tat

Edited by 1webslinger
Misspelling

7 hours ago, 1webslinger said:

My wife just subscribed to a usps service that she'll get an email that shows pictures of each piece of mail that was delivered that day, today was the first day and it was dead on. We didn't  get any junk mail , I doubt they will scan tat

I've had that service for several months now-- they do scan the occasional piece of junk mail-- especially if it is in an envelope -- but also some postcards type ads. Oh-- and the other items you might care about as well. They do not scan box packages.

11 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Just a followup:

Got a call today from the first post office supervisor I dealt with. Let him know I recovered the package from 80 Clinton Street / Sleeping Giant.

Asked the supervisor how this mis-delivery may have happened.  He told me the carrier has only been on the job for about two weeks and there's been a couple of incorrectly delivered packages on his route.  

We had a problem with pick ups. It seems that every time the alternate carrier was on, he wouldn't do the pick up. My husband has his office in the house, so he's usually around which makes the pick up service perfect for me, IF they pick up. Regular mail is about 12, if they didn't show by 3, he'd let me know, and I'd try to  call them. eBay is very picky about this next day thing and it drives me nuts. The last time I actually got the regional office (because you can never get a good phone number for the local PO, they keep changing numbers). My carrier told my husband the other day, that the alternate apparently "didn't like to do pick ups" and he was fired last week.

The PO GPS thing is amazing, they can see pictures of the items dropped off. We had a problem with something last year and I was emailed pictures of something they left outside my house.

4 minutes ago, WimpyWampyWambly said:

What freaks me out about Dr. Colloso is that it's the same voice actor as Master Shake!

I dig Master Shake and don't know who Dr. Colloso is.  Will have to check it out. 

On 3/29/2018 at 5:48 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

The carrier had a look around 80 Clinton St., but had not found my package.  The supervisor said the carrier checked with the building's largest tenant, a comic book place.  I asked the name of the "comic book place".  Supervisor says, Sleeping Giant.

I called Sleeping Giant and sure enough they have my books. Three blocks and one flight of stairs and I have my books in hand.

Wait. The carrier checked with the comic shop,but didn't find it.

You check with the comic shop and lo and behold there it is!

I'd be thinking either

A) usps carrier is lying about checking cause he's a lazy pos. 

B) usps did check but the comic shop had already opened the box and decided to keep the comics so thy played dumb until you showed up and they grew a conscience.

Was the package unopened?

And I had my local usps misdeliver a $1000 copy of Spirit 22, WITH SIGNATURE CONFIRMATION.

They show me the signature and say "See you signed for it!" and I have to convince them it's not my name or signature...

And they said because it had been signed for, an insurance claim was going to be tough for me to prove nondelivery.

What .