• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USPS drops the ball
3 3

50 posts in this topic

I have an interesting story.

I bought $370 worth of books from an eBay seller.   Seller ships priority without signature confirmation, estimated arrival date was Friday, March 23rd.  I was out of town from Thursday, March 22nd until Sunday the 25th, but got an email on Friday indicating the package had been "delivered to an individual". 

I get home on Sunday the 25th and there's no package waiting for me.   I look around my yard for the package.  No dice.   I contact the seller to make sure she had the address correct.  She did.

I go to my local Post Office yesterday and explained everything above, giving the tracking number to the supervisor.   Two minutes later the supervisor comes back with three sheets of printed paper.  One is a map showing where my package was delivered (I think).

Somehow the supervisor could tell the package was dropped off at 80 Clinton St.(a nearby business) instead of 80 Fake St.(my house).  Didn't know the Post Office could do that.  

Went to the Post Office again today and spoke to a different supervisor. He said a carrier was currently at 80 Clinton St. to see if he could find my package and he would call me shortly.

I was picking up wings from Colosso Taco when I got a call from the Post Office supervisor.  The carrier had a look around 80 Clinton St., but had not found my package.  The supervisor said the carrier checked with the building's largest tenant, a comic book place.  I asked the name of the "comic book place".  Supervisor says, Sleeping Giant.

I called Sleeping Giant and sure enough they have my books. Three blocks and one flight of stairs and I have my books in hand.

IMG_20180329_171856478.thumb.jpg.78260675a7fadea2b02d84c9395c0c4c.jpgIMG_20180329_171903734.thumb.jpg.bcdae4f9cc6aeff5311d32e2e0390dbe.jpgIMG_20180329_174502489.thumb.jpg.67401b51ca28ace2ebc051e82d4a6d9e.jpg

USPS is not exactly known for their smooth efficiency! 

Probably half of my packages get sent to the wrong post office from the sorting facility. I wouldn't be surprised if I have a similar incident one day. Couple of months ago I had to return a slabbed book with them & it took over 3 weeks to get there. The package looked like it was run over a few times but luckily I packed it securely enough that it wasn't damaged.

11 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

Does this guy work behind the counter at the taco joint?

latest?cb=20170102010029

Though you probably won't know who he is unless you have kids.

Sadly, I know exactly who this is :cry:

Got a similar sitch. I live on a cul de sac street. There are 4 more cul de sacs in a row in my neighborhood. All with the same number of houses. all the streets have the same address numbers but different streets. Mailman wasn't looking at the street name just the number so my packages (and their mail) was getting delivered to 5 different streets. Got to know my neighbors pretty well. When I went down to the post office, I got blown off by the post master. The mail carrier eventually stop coming by and the new guy is great. 

You live on Fake Street???  :roflmao:

All of my books get delivered to the office. A couple weeks ago FedEx told me that FCOBB signed for my 9.0 Hulk 181 around 6:15 pm.  No FCOBB exists at my office, and my supervisor was still there at the time.  No book in sight.

While I was writing criminal complaints in my head and deciding who to sue, FedEx told me it was a mistake and my book would be delivered the next day.  Luckily it was.

Its scary to think what carrier incompetence could potentially cost one of us.

1 hour ago, mattn792 said:

All of my books get delivered to the office. A couple weeks ago FedEx told me that FCOBB signed for my 9.0 Hulk 181 around 6:15 pm.  No FCOBB exists at my office, and my supervisor was still there at the time.  No book in sight.

While I was writing criminal complaints in my head and deciding who to sue, FedEx told me it was a mistake and my book would be delivered the next day.  Luckily it was.

Its scary to think what carrier incompetence could potentially cost one of us.

I once saw the FedEx guy dropping my delivery box as he was walking down the steps of the truck. It wasn't a book or marked fragile but damn... still gives me the heebie-jeebies!

a couple months ago I shipped a package to new york, which was first shown to have been delivered and signed by doorman. However later it said that the item was sent to an undeliverable address. The buyer contacted the post office and they told them the item was being routed back to me. I waited, saw it said out for delivery but then the next update showed item undeliverable addresse unknown. I went to the post office and they told me they were going to redeliver it to me. I waited no delivery over the next few days. Went back to the post office and they said they couldn't find the book and to open a case. I opened the case and the book was delivered back to me the next day.

When they suck they suck it big

5 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

I have an interesting story.

I bought $370 worth of books from an eBay seller.   Seller ships priority without signature confirmation, estimated arrival date was Friday, March 23rd.  I was out of town from Thursday, March 22nd until Sunday the 25th, but got an email on Friday indicating the package had been "delivered to an individual". 

I have to ask how the miscommunication happened between you and the seller. If I knew I would be out of town, I would have contacted the seller to postpone shipment. You are very lucky you got your books.

What are the odds it got delivered to an actual comic shop by mistake like that? Astounding! 

That's a crazy story. I believe the best thing you can do is to, as you did, have a supervisor note that this happened. Maybe report this higher up. Without getting into it, any employee who doesn't fear for their job security needs to have mistakes like this noted and on the record.

I ship daily through my PO and rarely have problems.

Glad to hear you did receive your package.

I have had this problem for 25 years ever since the Borough decided USPS had to start using the actual street address instead of the name of the Apt. complex.

I actually have the phone number for the local USPS Postmaster/Supervisor on speed dial.

There are three Apt. complexes in a row with similar street addresses and apt numbers.

(I am at 1900 L____ Rd and the next complex is 1990 L____ Rd., my apt # begins with an I (eye) which looks like a 1 (one) and the complex next store has apt numbers beginning with a 1 (one)

Over the years besides packages from online sellers I have had Utility Bills, Replacement Checks, Bank Statements etc all lost or delivered to the wrong address, some I received two month's after the fact.

Online bill pay has eliminated the majority of the lost mail issue but the lost package issue remains, it has always been a 50/50 proposition weather I would get the package or not.

Because of this I no longer have anything mailed to my address, everything ordered online now gets shipped to my Son's house or the store (Walmart) and that eliminated the lost package issue.

Funny though how the "Junk" mail never gets lost.

Get a PO box for USPS deliveries.

Have Fed Ex packages rerouted to the local shop for pickup. This is free and you get the option right under the tracking number.

These may require you to go out of your way a bit on delivery day, but they cut way down on horror stories.

Edited by mysterio

1 minute ago, mysterio said:

Get a PO box for USPS deliveries.

Have Fed Ex packages rerouted to the local shop for pickup. This is free and you get the option right under the tracking number.

These may require you to go out of your way a bit on delivery day, but they cut way down on horror stories.

A lot of eBay sellers will not ship to a PO Box.