• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HA May Auction, lots of great art !
3 3

486 posts in this topic

With the 1st appearance of Deadpool already past $25k on the Heritage Auctions, I also see the 1st appearance of The Wasp by Jack Kirby at under $7,500 and the 1st appearance of Jessica Jones under $50

Then, the 1st appearance of The X-Men at $30k, which is always surprising to see how comparatively low pages from X-Men #1 went for years ago and still seem comparatively low today.

Is "First Appearance" original art value tied less to the 1st panel page and more geared towards aesthetic rendering as well as the artist involved?

4 minutes ago, BeholdersEye said:

With the 1st appearance of Deadpool already past $25k on the Heritage Auctions, I also see the 1st appearance of The Wasp by Jack Kirby at under $7,500 and the 1st appearance of Jessica Jones under $50

Then, the 1st appearance of The X-Men at $30k, which is always surprising to see how comparatively low pages from X-Men #1 went for years ago and still seem comparatively low today.

Is "First Appearance" original art value tied less to the 1st panel page and more geared towards aesthetic rendering as well as the artist involved?

Pages from xmen 1 are probably more like 75k these days if I recall recent price points.    I get what you're saying though.    

Edited by Bronty

26 minutes ago, BeholdersEye said:

This sort of quandary is a balancing game I've been playing internally since taking an interest in comic art.  There is another page in this auction that fits into this category; significant page with regard to character and story, yet the art leaves me wanting.  And then I ask myself if it's worth the 4 or 5 figures it will command...and I don't have a good answer.  I lean "no" because I look at these things as objects of art foremost.  I've learned there are lots of pages to be had (at various value points) of my favorite characters that are artistic treasures, but I don't want to fill portfolios of this stuff.  I'm looking to invest/procure representative images that meld fine art qualities with historical significance for the characters I've identified.  And lets throw in a bit of nostalgia on a few of those pieces.  How long that takes, and how it coordinates with the many other hobbies I enjoy and spend money on is anyone's guess.  Hope that makes sense, you raise an interesting question.

On 4/18/2018 at 10:40 PM, Bronty said:

50k hammer?   Good googly moogly.   I'd disagree but you've been good at guessing on these types of pieces before.    

Whatever Fish paid for the cover feels like a pretty good deal right now.    

And I was being pretty conservative, which based on first week bidding looks like it was a mistake lol

Can I revise it and say a couple lunatics might push this to hitting 6 figures?

Im betting we see one of the other 7(I think) interior come up to auction after this result.

6 hours ago, BeholdersEye said:

It's the opposite, especially now when you have a lot of speculators who made good money in comics pumping cash into 1st appearance art, with not a care to the artistic rendering of the piece. Kick in the nostalgia effect that has been hitting the Liefeld market and a NM 98 page can possible sell for more than a Kirby X-Men #1 page.

7 hours ago, BeholdersEye said:

I don't think so. As stated in my article on 1st Appearances:

"Broadly speaking, 1st App OA prices are determined by character, not artist. For example, the 1st App page of Wolverine from Incredible Hulk #180 fetched a record $657,250 in May 2014 (which is still the joint-highest priced public sale of American superhero OA). The penciller of this page is the late Herb Trimpe, who was a well-known and prolific artist, but whose Incredible Hulk panel pages usually fetch low to mid 4-figure prices. Another example is this Apocalypse silhouette page from X-Factor #6 (Apocalypse 1st App) which sold for $4,113 in March 2015. The penciller of this page is Jackson “Butch” Guice, whose X-Factor pages normally don’t fetch this kind of price. Sure, if these two characters were created by Jack Kirby in the early-’60s their 1st App OA would probably be worth more, but hopefully you get my point!"

13 hours ago, BeholdersEye said:

Given that the highest price paid at auction for a panel page is for a page drawn by Herb Trimpe, I would say the answer is definitely "no". 

Since we are on the topic of first appearances.. this Kirby page features the first apperance of Hercules and first panel appearance of Zeus. From 1963.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/jack-kirby-and-vince-colletta-journey-into-mystery-annual-1-story-page-13-thor-and-hercules-original-art-marvel-/a/7187-93147.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

25 minutes ago, Twanj said:

Wow, so the Deadpool page is already at $36k

@RabidFerret, you had a shot at $3500? :(

He said it was a different page, the one that Fish has. This is the second best page of the book featuring him with only the one right before where he introduces himself beating it. Even still any page with him in it would indeed be 5 figures now.

4 hours ago, RICKYBOBBY said:

Since we are on the topic of first appearances.. this Kirby page features the first apperance of Hercules and first panel appearance of Zeus. From 1963.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/jack-kirby-and-vince-colletta-journey-into-mystery-annual-1-story-page-13-thor-and-hercules-original-art-marvel-/a/7187-93147.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

This is a great page.  I've always liked dialogue in comic art, it seems poetic as opposed to splash pages.

As I collect, I'm leaning away from covers and pin-up styled artwork that's pure sizzle and going more for the substance that fills my belly, which is more based on dialogue and history, with history, I like great storytelling arcs and of course "First Appearance" (and even 2nd appearances are good enough for my budget) issue pages (doesn't have to be the 1st panel app) which I enjoy.

1 hour ago, BeholdersEye said:

As I collect, I'm leaning away from covers and pin-up styled artwork that's pure sizzle and going more for the substance that fills my belly, 

I think I could use a bit less of that substance...

...but in truth, I sometimes buy artwork for the dialog, not the art. 

Some interesting prices bid thus far:

Edited by jjonahjameson11

7 hours ago, RICKYBOBBY said:

First panel appearances in the Marvel Universe. I think the Greek Universe pre-dates that ;)

its a beauty - one of my favorite Sienk covers, but I think the image does look better in color.    Will that affect the price?

Edited by Bronty