• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spider-Man 569 ( first anti venom) which cover is more sought after?
1 1

25 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, speedcake said:

Would you like the subjective answer or the even more subjective answer? :D

Bofum please :grin:

The Romita Jr. cover is great just because it actually has Anti-Venom on the cover. Sometimes the 2nd print is more sought after. 

I'm a big fan of Granov and his covers, so I personally like the Venom cover better but yeah, Ebay is your best search engine. 

B|

On 4/7/2018 at 7:57 AM, Juaks said:

Hi guys, can check which cover is more sought after ?

C6B67B39-77FE-4B85-AC27-84D333BC654A.png

2313879D-5119-418B-9EC5-A454751DBDEA.png

The top one is the reprint of the first appearance that happens in the bottom one.  So technically the bottom one is the "more sought after first appearance of anti-venom" (since it is actually his first appearance). (thumbsu

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

11 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

The top one is the reprint of the first appearance that happens in the bottom one.  So technically the bottom one is the "more sought after first appearance of anti-venom". (thumbsu

-J.

We tend to judge what's more sought after by price.

I consistently find it odd that additional printings (2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc) are treated more like variants than reprints.  That is to say in some cases they have lower print runs and are able to maintain any "1st appearance" designations, whereas reprints specifically say "reprint of issue #XX and have no "1st appearance" associated with them.

25 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

I consistently find it odd that additional printings (2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc) are treated more like variants than reprints.  That is to say in some cases they have lower print runs and are able to maintain any "1st appearance" designations, whereas reprints specifically say "reprint of issue #XX and have no "1st appearance" associated with them.

I see what you mean.  It may have all started when Marvel started to reprint books with completely different covers rather than the usual straight unaltered reprint of the original book. With the two examples in this thread, they even say 'variant' on the reprint cover so it's easy to see why that way of thinking sets in. My experience was that the second printings were produced in comparably low quantities and a few of the Spidey's went under the radar and gained popularity due to relative scarcity. For ASM, I used to get two of every second print from about issue 500 up. They did really well for me when I sold up, given that I purchased them at regular cover price, not the inflated prices of the 'proper' variants. 

8 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I see what you mean.  It may have all started when Marvel started to reprint books with completely different covers rather than the usual straight unaltered reprint of the original book. With the two examples in this thread, they even say 'variant' on the reprint cover so it's easy to see why that way of thinking sets in. My experience was that the second printings were produced in comparably low quantities and a few of the Spidey's went under the radar and gained popularity due to relative scarcity. For ASM, I used to get two of every second print from about issue 500 up. They did really well for me when I sold up, given that I purchased them at regular cover price, not the inflated prices of the 'proper' variants. 

I get that it's a demand thing, but additional printings are inherently going to have lower print runs.  And if they don't, then it means that Marvel made a huge miscalculation in demand forecasting or is intentionally manipulating the market to spark interest.  In any case, short of original art, a 1st print is "the original" to me.  (Granted, there could be 200k+ copies of that original floating around.)  But I guess I'm just jealous that someone missed the first opportunity, hopped on the bandwagon by buying a 2nd/3rd print and then ends up benefiting more (financially) by not being 1st.

as a rule, since the 90's, the JRJR cover is the worse one.

Edited by revat