• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The 100 Pages That Shaped Comics- Article
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Vulture published this article today:

http://www.vulture.com/article/100-most-influential-pages-comic-book-history.html

It seems really well researched and thoughtful from a number of contributors. It spans nearly 100 years and includes Shuster, Kirby, Bolland and Liefeld! It spans indies and underground comix and goes right up to modern books.

Its worth a read and thought would make for good discussion (although there's  almost TOO much to dissect). Realize it's not OA related specifically but:

-Any boardies own any pages here? (Who's hoarding the 1933 origin of Batman, and is it marked NFS? :jokealert:)

-Anyone think there is a glaring miss? Or would swap a page from the issue mentioned?

The article definitely is focused on "importance" rather than "athestics", though sometimes importance is due to an artist changing the game.

Must admit I haven't heard of a lot of these (Pre silver age and Underground outside of Crumb), including "Shatter" which was just being discussed on the 80's Indies thread.

I'll shut up now. Hope you guys enjoy the article as much as I did.

Edited by skrilla1212

Many thanks for posting this article! Although I understand why, in this current marketplace of slabbed comics, it saddens me that so many comic book collectors now seem to judge and value comics only by the book's cover. This article is a wonderful reminder that the story and art inside a comic is as important, if not more so, than the quality of the cover. This aspect of comics is something original art collectors have never forgotten. And perhaps this is why I have recently been getting the urge to join your ranks again soon! So thank you again, skrilla1212! I wish you all the best!

Just finished. Decent list, lot of modern stuff I dont think many are familiar with so not sure if they changed/influenced much but its Vulture so take it with a grain of salt. Overall interesting read.

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 10:28 PM, skrilla1212 said:

http://www.vulture.com/article/100-most-influential-pages-comic-book-history.html

It seems really well researched and thoughtful from a number of contributors. It spans nearly 100 years and includes Shuster, Kirby, Bolland and Liefeld! It spans indies and underground comix and goes right up to modern books.

Its worth a read and thought would make for good discussion (although there's  almost TOO much to dissect). Realize it's not OA related specifically but:

-Any boardies own any pages here? (Who's hoarding the 1933 origin of Batman, and is it marked NFS? :jokealert:)

-Anyone think there is a glaring miss? Or would swap a page from the issue mentioned?

The article definitely is focused on "importance" rather than "athestics", though sometimes importance is due to an artist changing the game.

Must admit I haven't heard of a lot of these (Pre silver age and Underground outside of Crumb), including "Shatter" which was just being discussed on the 80's Indies thread.

The article mentioned that the Walking Dead #1 Zombie Splash had been appraised at $20K on the VH1 TV show: "For What It's Worth." Did anyone ever see that segment?

On 4/16/2018 at 10:28 PM, skrilla1212 said:

I believe @glendgold has the Kirby collage...& some other amazing stuff! :)

19 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

The article mentioned that the Walking Dead #1 Zombie Splash had been appraised at $20K on the VH1 TV show: "For What It's Worth." Did anyone ever see that segment?

Sounds like a reasonable number (though I think it'll go $25k+). We'll soon find out in an upcoming ComicConnect auction!