• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Look at this historic piece of production art!

46 posts in this topic

dont get so excited about this..... sorry we butted heads... relax, mush.

I thought it was your piece from that long post you made defending them so strenuously.

You should HOPE we naysayers are in the majority so you can get lot sand lot sof them with little competition, no?

I too reinterate that it was not my intention to trash color guides - or production art. I rather like movie posters and own a few, those are considered production art and have their place dependign on rarity etc.

My only queries on this have been to ascetain what an item like this is worth. The pragmatic answer is - whatever someone is willing to pay. However, while most people don't mind over paying a tad for something they think is cool. I doubt anyone like to feel that twinge on their neck that they were taken and paid 3-4 times what anyone else and there are a lot of Neal Adams and Bats 232 fans out there would have been willing to pay.

So I asked around to try and shore up my limited expertise in OA and in this specific niche of production art. I have to concur that collectors of original art do not consider this piece to be OA and it seemed to carry a PLOD stigma to it among that set when I asked around. The people I questioned don't HATE them, but I could sense a resistance to go out of pocket for one. They seemed to equate it to OA in the end and felt money was better served towards and actual line art cover or page.

Still I think its an interesting piece - however my gut tells me that the price tag is wishful thinking and that this items place in the art process lies more in the production phase than in the OA phase which or course would assign less value to it in line with other color guides from that same era.

For what it's worth, I think this piece is really cool. I even gave some thought to bidding on it. The colors really grab your attention the way the original pen & ink art could never do.

For what it's worth, I think this piece is really cool. I even gave some thought to bidding on it. The colors really grab your attention the way the original pen & ink art could never do.

Do you think it will sell for even the minimum? I would be surprised if it did. After all, the BIN isn't that bad if you are thinking of getting it at the minimum.

I think they (the color guides) are fairly interesting relics in the whole scheme of comic book production. But really, if you removed the line art and it was merely the "paint" from the color guide that was left on the paper, I think it would be rather unimpressive from an artistic standpoint - whereas, the line art can stand on its own. I bought a Preacher color guide for an entire issue a while back to see what the deal was with them was. I wasn't very impressed by what I received, but that is just me.

If they are your collecting preference, then what a steal compared to most OA. You can get an iconic image involved in the creation of the book for a fraction of the cost of the actual line art. More power to you 'Shroom! Stick around and discuss what you're passionate about, don't run away.

A very neat piece but nowhere near worth $1,000.00.

You got that right. NO WHERE NEAR $1,000.

Color guides are interesting, in that they are PART of the comic printing process.

But, there could be more than one of this color guide. Jack Adler probably had to paint a few of each just to get the colors right.

I don't believe that anyone in the Original Art world looks down on color guide collectors because some of the top art collectors have them in their collections.

I own a Swamp Thing (from the Berni Wrighston run), a Master of Kung Fu color guide and the Adrienne Roy color guide to the Warlord ad that ran in DC Comics during the 1970s ("Enter the lost world of ... The Warlord").