• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Every board members dream auction!!!
1 1

19 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, tth2 said:

I thought this thread was for us to list what would be in our dream auction.

Mine would be an auction featuring the finally found Church Duck books.

Go to Church today and hide your Ducks in trunk

2011-07-14_Trunk.jpg

Edited by woowoo

16 hours ago, Bo_Hogg1 said:

So, if those are actually from an estate sale, some poor guy was sitting on them waiting for the day when Major Inapak would finally be worth something ... and died first. 

13 hours ago, tth2 said:

Aren't we pretty sure the Church family threw them out before Chuck got there?

27 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

Whether it's a dream auction or not, there's a lot of feedback that's disturbing...

Yeah, given that many buyers are reluctant to leave negative or neutral fb no matter how stinky the transaction was, this guy's fb is a real red flag.

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Yeah, given that many buyers are reluctant to leave negative or neutral fb no matter how stinky the transaction was, this guy's fb is a real red flag.

Even with all the negs (6 negs in the last month, I think from unique buyers), the seller has 83 followers.  I don't know if that is a lot or not but it seems like it is to me given the feedback.  

I still like Major Inapak though :banana: but no, I won't be bidding.

7 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Aren't we pretty sure the Church family threw them out before Chuck got there?

I still find that hard to believe.  We've seen plenty of other Four Colors from the Church collection.  Why would Edgar have separated out the Duck books from the other stacks of comics in the first place?

Anyways, the story that they weren't there when Chuck bought the collection, is why an auction of them, after they'd finally been found, would be my dream auction. 

1 hour ago, tth2 said:

Why would Edgar have separated out the Duck books from the other stacks of comics in the first place?

I've always thought the same thing.  It seems completely possible that Chuck is mistaken in his decades later retelling of the story.  Memory isn't that reliable for anyone.

Edited by Randall Dowling

12 hours ago, tth2 said:

I still find that hard to believe.  We've seen plenty of other Four Colors from the Church collection.  Why would Edgar have separated out the Duck books from the other stacks of comics in the first place?

Anyways, the story that they weren't there when Chuck bought the collection, is why an auction of them, after they'd finally been found, would be my dream auction. 

It's a good point that some (many?) Four Colors survived, including some funny animal ones.  I picked this one up recently.  It is odd, come to think of it, that not a single Duck book (so far as I know) was among these Four Colors.

lf_zpsy9iuxmca.jpg

10 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

I've always thought the same thing.  It seems completely possible that Chuck is mistaken in his decades later retelling of the story.  Memory isn't that reliable for anyone.

His story is that the only funny animal books that survived were mixed in with non-funny animal books.  Still odd that none of those books were Duck books.

On 5/6/2018 at 12:25 AM, tth2 said:

The White Mountain Daredevil #1 :cloud9: 

The Church Wonder Woman #1 :cloud9:

On 5/6/2018 at 12:25 AM, tth2 said:

Mine would involve several thousand Church books in a no reserve auction.

And only one bidder. :devil: