• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm getting priced out of collecting
4 4

132 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Just venting.  I like collecting keys, with the exception of accumulating a nice stock of worthless stuff that I like to read.  So traditionally, my acquisitions were either $1 or $2 books or nicer key items.  I've been doing this a long time, but (dope that I am), I sold off stuff every once in a while to fund other collecting genres.

I'm finding I can't afford to collect anymore...at least not the way I used to.   I used to collect silver age keys.  I enjoyed owning first appearances because it made me feel more connected to my favorite characters.  But now, those books are so insanely expensive that I had to shift my focus to bronze age keys, which is the era I grew up with.  That's been pretty satisfying. 

Now it's getting to the point where I feel I can't really afford bronze keys.  At least not the books that are important to me in grades that I don't find objectionable.  And I feel if I sell something, I can't afford to replace it later.  As an example, I put together a nice run of Giant Size X-men 1 to X-men 101.  The harder books are more like VF, and the rest in the low 9's.  Now that "short set" is worth over $4K.  WTH!!!   My God, man, I could buy a pretty cool vintage car for that kind of money.  Yet, I dare not sell them.

Today I'm a 50-something professional engineer, and I find I can't buy books as nice as the ones I was buying back in college.  Back then, I felt that I'd be able to buy better books once I got established in my career.  Ha!  Joke's on me!

So, I guess there is copper and modern, but...with no offense intended, with the exception of a couple noteworthy copper books, I just don't connect to that era very well.

I'm frustrated! 

Here's the thing...there isn't a hobby as cool as ours.  Our keys are so much more interesting than...say...a key from a coin collection which might be only distinguished by a different date.  Our keys are uniquely cool.  Trying to figure out what to do next.  Sacrifice grade expectations?

Steve

Edited by Westy Steve

Maybe switch over to collecting non key issues.  Marvel Team Up 3 is a great issue and is dirt cheap compared to ASM 101.  Fantastic Four 55 is a great Silver-Surfer cover so why spend so much for FF 48 - 50?

Key books have shot up so much lately that they have become commodities rather then collectors items. 

PE's rule!

I thought engineers made mad money? (shrug)

You said you were already selling some books to fund the purchase of others...that was my first piece of advice. 

You also mentioned lowering your expectations of grade. I think that's a good idea. Low-grade silver is still megacool and fairly affordable. 

We're riding a tremendous bubble in the comic market. You are correct - the price of keys are getting out of hand. Perhaps we'll see another market correction in the near future? Of course, all of those ideas are discussed in separate thread. 

So, besides selling stuff to fund other purchases, and lowering your expectations when it comes to grades, there really aren't too many other realistic options, other than quitting the hobby or finding more ways to fund the hobby. 

But, in all fairness, I've yet to find a hobby that was cheap. :) 

Good luck with the collection! 

Original comic Art. Plastic Crack. Anime' ( not kidding....)

-  Collect secondary keys . Sometimes they turn into primary keys upon an announcement.

- Collect the second appearance of major characters. I just picked up an ASM 135, 2nd app of the Punisher. Book is incredibly cheap and undervalued. Lots more examples out there.

- Collect reprints and second printings. Collect the Last Issue of major titles. It's challenging and fun.

- If you're a Marvel junkie try getting into DC.

- Collect non key 10 cent books. Pick a genre like SciFi or Horror. Some great covers out there.

1 minute ago, Bomber-Bob said:

- If you're a Marvel junkie try getting into DC.

IMPOSSIBLE! :sumo:

Many ways of collecting comics that don't cost an arm and a leg.  But not if you want to collect Marvel Key issues.  Try branching out.  Charlton Heroes?  10¢ Atlas War comics?  Joe Maneely covers?  Every appearance of She-Hulk?  Find something that interests you that isn't what everyone else is chasing right now.

3 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

Way fun, but isn't it riskier financially? It's more work for sure! ?

True on all counts.  From personal experience, I found that keeping a bunch of books in boxes in a closet was no longer fun for me.

6 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

Way fun, but isn't it riskier financially? It's more work for sure! ?

I have never met a PE that can work on his/her own car.

12 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

Something on which I'm focusing is upgrading Great Stories. FF 48-50, FF 57-60, Thor 154-157, ASM 31-33, Avengers annual 7 and 2-In-One annual 2, etc.

Yeah, some keys in there, but nothing too far out of hand. 

Another great idea.  There was a time that the story was king.  Get copies of great stories like these, or Dark Knight/Watchmen/Miller Daredevil/Moore's Swamp Thing/Gaiman's Sandman.  I imagine you could put together a set of the greatest stories for much less than a couple first appearances.

16 minutes ago, Mr.Mcknowitall said:

I have never met a PE that can work on his/her own car.

They don't teach that in Engineering classes.

Just now, 1Cool said:

They don't teach that in Engineering classes.

lol Now we know why Japanese and Korean autos work......

Mechanical Engineering in U.S. schools is hard. It has mechanics and stuff.