• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G.I. Joe: SNAKE EYES (2020)
2 2

144 posts in this topic

Well I’ve been here since late December 2008 and I (hold on) will have 5,385 posts……”So I've got that goin for meWhich is nice." 😂 

More importantly they finally got a mask I really like, visor especially 🏆   
(makes me get a where is Timber kinda feel down the road) 

*Now just typing that (paging @Buzzetta) made me starting singing, “Timber, timber, Lord this timber gotta roll”  😂 

Edited by Icculus308win
Song in head now

5 hours ago, Icculus308win said:

Well I’ve been here since late December 2008 and I (hold on) will have 5,385 posts……”So I've got that goin for meWhich is nice." 😂 

More importantly they finally got a mask I really like, visor especially 🏆   
(makes me get a where is Timber kinda feel down the road) 

*Now just typing that (paging @Buzzetta) made me starting singing, “Timber, timber, Lord this timber gotta roll”  😂 

74875440.jpg

Meanwhile on the Facebook GI Joe groups there are still quite a few holdouts on this movie simply because Snake Eyes is not being played by a blond haired, blue eyed "American".

If they know anything about Snake Eyes why do they care? 

Don't they realize that by the end of the movie or the beginning of a sequel, Snake Eyes will be horribly disfigured and will be a world full of messed up under that mask so it doesn't matter what he originally looked like under it? 

On 6/27/2021 at 9:07 AM, Buzzetta said:

Meanwhile on the Facebook GI Joe groups there are still quite a few holdouts on this movie simply because Snake Eyes is not being played by a blond haired, blue eyed "American".

If they know anything about Snake Eyes why do they care? 

One valid reason would be that it made him a gaijin during the time he trained in martial arts with Storm Shadow in Japan.  Historically I know Japan has had plenty of dislike for people from almost any nation other than their own so I suppose it isn't hard to replace his being Caucasian with another nationality similarly disliked within Japan, but I don't know enough about modern culture there to know which ones they tend to have the most bias against after World War 2.  I assume it's anyone who looks the most different from Japanese, so the blonde hair would make sense as causing him to stand out more.  Being African would make him even more disliked in Japan.

Henry Golding is Malaysian, but I haven't heard what country Snake Eyes comes from in the film.  My understanding is that Japanese culture looks more favorably upon most Asians than Westerners or Africans.  The term "gaijin" is reserved for non-Asian people so making Snake Eyes Asian definitely changes the dynamic between Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow to some extent, and it also likely significantly changes the way he was treated and reacted to life in Japan.  I'm not sure which Asian nationalities they tend to dislike the most, although I know historically Japan's biggest adversary was always China so I won't be surprised if he's Chinese in the film.  But again I'm not sure how enduring their old biases are today now that Japan has flipped from extremely militaristic for centuries to extreme pacifists after World War 2.

Edited by fantastic_four

10 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

One valid reason would be that it made him a gaijin during the time he trained in martial arts with Storm Shadow in Japan.  Historically I know Japan has had plenty of dislike for people from almost any nation other than their own so I suppose it isn't hard to replace his being Caucasian with another nationality similarly disliked within Japan, but I don't know enough about modern culture there to know which ones they tend to have the most bias against after World War 2.  I assume it's anyone who looks the most different from Japanese, so the blonde hair would make sense as causing him to stand out more.  Being African would make him even more disliked in Japan.

Henry Golding is Malaysian, but I haven't heard what country Snake Eyes comes from in the film.  My understanding is that Japanese culture looks more favorably upon most Asians than Westerners or Africans.  The term "gaijin" is reserved for non-Asian people so making Snake Eyes Asian definitely changes the dynamic between Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow to some extent, and it also likely significantly changes the way he was treated and reacted to life in Japan.  I'm not sure which Asian nationalities they tend to dislike the most, although I know historically Japan's biggest adversary was always China so I won't be surprised if he's Chinese in the film.  But again I'm not sure how enduring their old biases are today now that Japan has flipped from extremely militaristic for centuries to extreme pacifists after World War 2.

They are explicitly losing their minds because he was a blonde haired white guy in the comics and not a blonde eyed white guy in the new film.   They are not as well versed as you are giving them credit for. 

I am keeping quiet as I remind myself that I am just there to take their money and once that is done, I can block them and enjoy the others in the group. 

The facebook GI Joe groups bring in an interesting assortment of people.  Most of them are decent people where although there might be different cultural and political ideologies are still decent people at heart.

Then there are the stereotype rednecks where their most extreme example was a guy that was showing off a tattoo that he had done of Cobra Commander pointing a gun at the head of a kneeling Zarana forcing her to perform a sex act on him.  I could not understand how someone would even think to request something like that of the tattooist and what tattooist would say, "Sounds great, hop in the chair."

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

They are explicitly losing their minds because he was a blonde haired white guy in the comics and not a blonde eyed white guy in the new film.   They are not as well versed as you are giving them credit for. 

Oh, I'm DEFINITELY not trying to give the average person who wants a blonde Snake Eyes credit; I have NO doubt the great majority want it for racially-biased reasons.  I was just listing a valid reason and the one why I was puzzled that he was Asian in the trailer.  I didn't realize Henry Golding was playing him until this past weekend, and I didn't even know this movie was coming out until I watched reviews of the Hasbro movie figures of Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow, and Baroness over the weekend.

Larry Hama himself--who is third-generation American of Japanese descent--probably made him Caucasian knowing that was the majority of his audience, although in statements I found over the weekend he has said he doesn't remember why he did it other than to make him more opposed to Storm Shadow and Japanese culture yet still have close personal ties to it.

I'm not really a big GI Joe guy now, but I have a strong fondness for it because GI Joe #1 was the first Marvel comic I bought off the stands, and I had been collecting the figures and vehicles since they started before the comic came out.  I only branched out to the rest of Marvel after looking for GI Joe comics.   So I do have some tie to the main characters and Snake Eyes, and I'm highly curious where they go with his character in the film even if I don't end up seeing it--which I won't if the reviews are as bad as the previous Joe films.  So I'm still puzzled as to why they went away from him being a gaijin and wondering if that element of his character even survives at all in this version.

Edited by fantastic_four

7 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

C13A3621-551D-4A95-BEEE-48CD9D765E21.png

That says so much about this film when you consider the source.

Hama is best known as writer of the Marvel Comics licensed series G.I. Joe, based on the Hasbro line of military action figures. Hama said in a 2006 interview that he was given the job by then editor-in-chief Jim Shooter after every other writer at Marvel had turned it down. Hama at the time had recently pitched a Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. spin-off series, Fury Force, about a special mission force. Hama used this concept as the back-story for G.I. Joe. He included military terms and strategies, Eastern philosophy, martial arts and historical references from his own background. The comic ran 155 issues (February 1982-October 1994).

:applause:

1 hour ago, jason4 said:

That gives hope at least. Unless Hama is just trying to sugar coat it so people still see it. Imagine if he bashed it? He would lose $$

:wishluck:

2 hours ago, jason4 said:

That gives hope at least. Unless Hama is just trying to sugar coat it so people still see it. Imagine if he bashed it? He would lose $$

He's already been paid.  I doubt he's high enough up that he gets any backend pay. 

13 hours ago, sd2416 said:

He's already been paid.  I doubt he's high enough up that he gets any backend pay. 

Royalties and long term gains from gi joe being mainstream success. You typically dont see people bash their own stuff but again I hope he is right. 

Review embargo is still in place.  That's almost NEVER a good sign.  :(

I don't remember now, has any movie ever been critically acclaimed whose studio lifted review embargoes the week of release?  I bet there has to be one or two examples, but I know for sure it's exceedingly rare.

On 7/19/2021 at 2:36 PM, fantastic_four said:

Review embargo is still in place.  That's almost NEVER a good sign.  :(

I don't remember now, has any movie ever been critically acclaimed whose studio lifted review embargoes the week of release?  I bet there has to be one or two examples, but I know for sure it's exceedingly rare.

AV Club published an article that they are looking forward to it. 

I just posted that in a GI Joe FB group and someone immediately wrote, "It's not my Snake Eyes". Then someone called him out on it and he changed it to "It's not my GI Joe". Then someone wrote, "If it was Quick Kick maybe."

The butthurt from a certain group is going to be real with this one... I just bite my tongue and happily take their money right now until I pare down my collection to the point that I am done selling Joes.