• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

File under "D" for Ditko

37 posts in this topic

On 1/16/2022 at 2:40 PM, Robot Man said:

Love that one! When I originally bought mine, I bought it for the run and the cover. The Ditko connection was not known at the time. The Ditko story is just so so. Not his best work in my opinion. 

Story is so so because the master storyteller didn’t write it. While it’s not Ditko’s first published work, this is where he started and was meant to be with exception to his Spidey run. Only fitting that his first piece of professional artwork went into a precode horror comic book. I like to think of Ditko as comic book’s Rod Serling. Ditko, like Serling, took us into another dimension. I wonder if Ditko is now exploring them for new material and to see if his art and stories were in line with the great unknown that awaits us all…

I am generally not a big Ditko fan. Although, a lot of his '50's horror, crime and sci-fi probably qualify as classic covers. Sorry, not a GA book (but at least a 10 center), here is a book that I have always loved. Man, I really need to upgrade this one... 

comunusualtales6.jpg