• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crazy Run up on price than crash and burn. And I mean BURN!
3 3

339 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, darkstar said:

Preacher's fall was mostly the result of a concerted effort by a comic group online spouting off fake news about the print run. It went on for months. 

Didn't hear about that.

But to date in 9.6-9.8 there are less graded copies then walking dead.

So all people had to at the time was take a quick look on the Census. Would prove it was a farse.

At least as far as high graded copies are concerned.

Not sure how people can fall for something so easy to verify?

The real problem is the first episode was way to ambiguous for non comic fans. I tried watching it as if I never read preacher and had no idea what to expect and it just falls flat for those non readers. 

Doesn't leave the audience with a burning desire to return the following week to see what happens next.

Just look at the ratings every week since release.

From just over 2 million for the pilot to less then 1 million for the season 2 finally.

The show is a bust, that's why this book is going nowhere.

New Mutants #87

This was the hottest back issue of 1991. There was nothing hotter. $65 for a book that came out a year and a half earlier for $1.

That's the equivalent of $250 or so now. And that was, obviously, for raw books.

Batman #428

In the height of Batmania, July/August of 1989, it was a $75 book. Not bad for a book that came out less than a year earlier for 75 cents.

Nick Fury vs. Shield #2. $25 book at the time, a quarter book for almost 30 years now.

Animal Man #5. A "niche" book that still managed to catch $25 in the summer of 1990. Now, nobody cares.

Superman #50 (1990). $25 by December, 1990. Now....not so much.

And, of course, the granddaddy of them all, Superman #75. $100 within a couple of months of coming out, in 1992.

Now...$5-$10 or so. Or less.

8 hours ago, darkstar said:

Preacher's fall was mostly the result of a concerted effort by a comic group online spouting off fake news about the print run. It went on for months. 

Also the show is average at best. A pale shadow of the source material. 

15 hours ago, F For Fake said:

You can find a lot of the minis littering the 50 cent bins, but there are some series like Apocalypse - Destroying Angels, Xenogenesis and Aliens vs Terminator vs Predator which are fairly tough and command a bit of a premium in complete sets. Individual books are still $1-$5.

Aliens vs Terminator vs Predator was probably the toughest set to find for me, never seen any in the wild. Full sets on eb seem go for $50-$60, even MCS wants almost $20 for high grade #4. Not sure why this is the one that's harder to find, based on comichron the order numbers were higher for this series than some of the others. Maybe it's sort of a minor key set, because that is the only time all three franchises had a crossover together?

15 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

While true in the technicality of 9.8, I think you have to take that out of the equation because that's the exception. He's definitely correct on all those series in how they were hyped back in the late 80's. All those square bound mini's and all of DH"s licensed properties (including Terminator) got hyped out the wazoo as "can't miss, mega-hot" titles, but they fell mighty flat a few years later. I think with Aliens and Predator (individually, not the smash-up mini), the demand is only for the ultra-high grade copies. I'm not saying they're not cool and I still have nostalgic feelings for both of the original mini's, I just don't think they're sought-after outside of truly mint copies.

Ok, well 9.4 and up, then, all command a premium. Raw #1 is only a $10-$20 book these days, but that's what I remember it selling for back when it came out, so to me it felt like it hasn't dropped off considerably. But I take your point.

20 minutes ago, Jimbo749 said:

Aliens vs Terminator vs Predator was probably the toughest set to find for me, never seen any in the wild. Full sets on eb seem go for $50-$60, even MCS wants almost $20 for high grade #4. Not sure why this is the one that's harder to find, based on comichron the order numbers were higher for this series than some of the others. Maybe it's sort of a minor key set, because that is the only time all three franchises had a crossover together?

I think it's because even though it may have had marginally higher initial orders at the time, it took a while for the vast majority of fans of these three franchises to realize that this weird smash up of properties existed. Also, it's a much better read than it has any right to be!

19 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

I think it's because even though it may have had marginally higher initial orders at the time, it took a while for the vast majority of fans of these three franchises to realize that this weird smash up of properties existed. Also, it's a much better read than it has any right to be!

You are probably right. I was grumpy that I had to remove myself from the dollar bin (where all other Terminator comics go to die) to get that set.

14 hours ago, PKJ said:

Or Kevin Mitchell rookie cards, or Gregg Jefferies, those were sky high then worthless. 

You forgot Jerome Walton.  But not $200.  The only "recent" baseball card that would have been in demand at $200 in 1990 was 1986 Donruss Jose Canseco.

Unless you want to talk about 1984 Fleer Update. :grin:

8 minutes ago, valiantman said:

You forgot Jerome Walton.  But not $200.  The only "recent" baseball card that would have been in demand at $200 in 1990 was 1986 Donruss Jose Canseco.

Ken Griffey Jr Rookie Card from Upper Deck, and the Mark McGwire Team USA card was hot for a minute. I feel like Barry Bonds rookie cards were doing well too before the hate.

1 minute ago, The Resurrection said:

Ken Griffey Jr Rookie Card from Upper Deck, and the Mark McGwire Team USA card was hot for a minute. I feel like Barry Bonds rookie cards were doing well too before the hate.

All good guesses, but none were $200 in 1990.  Unless you're just giving more answers about crashing and burning from the baseball card world.  That's true.  Basically, ANY card printed since 1980 that only got a PSA 7 once it was graded lost most of its value before the grading companies existed.  PSA 7 is "unwanted" now, but it was full price near mint back-in-the-day.

4 minutes ago, Vintage_Paper said:

Golden Age: high grade Marvel Comics #1 was tanking with every sale for several years before someone took them off the market.

Atomic Age: high grade Mad #1 tanked as more Gaines copies were graded.

Those are good examples.  What's the story on Sports Illustrated #1?

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

Maybe it was the Donruss RC...I didn't collect Canseco - I was too busy stocking up on the aforementioned Gregg Jefferies RCs. But I do remember one other high ticket card at the time: the infamous Billy Ripken F-Face error card.

13 hours ago, grayzr said:

Didn't hear about that.

But to date in 9.6-9.8 there are less graded copies then walking dead.

So all people had to at the time was take a quick look on the Census. Would prove it was a farse.

At least as far as high graded copies are concerned.

Not sure how people can fall for something so easy to verify?

The real problem is the first episode was way to ambiguous for non comic fans. I tried watching it as if I never read preacher and had no idea what to expect and it just falls flat for those non readers. 

Doesn't leave the audience with a burning desire to return the following week to see what happens next.

Just look at the ratings every week since release.

From just over 2 million for the pilot to less then 1 million for the season 2 finally.

The show is a bust, that's why this book is going nowhere.

1st season of the Preacher TV show was garbage. That's to blame.

11 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

1st season of the Preacher TV show was garbage. That's to blame.

It's just not a show for non fans like walking dead was. I say was because walking dead is going into the toilet as well. Almost feels like someone on the TV team is trying to sabotage the show because it literally can't get any worse.