• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What mainstream superhero has the greatest capacity for violence?
1 1

51 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, nepatkm said:

As I said before The Punisher, He’s got the War Machine armor now, and he’s not even close to having any empathy for anyone who is doing wrong in his mind anymore. From the latest issue #225 — talk about a mean s.o.b who kills...

58AB618A-2B69-4462-A947-7604FCE6E80E.jpeg

Is Ennis back on the title or something like that? 

39 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Is Ennis back on the title or something like that? 

Mathew Rosenberg is currently the writer. 

57 minutes ago, DavidTheDavid said:

You know, I haven't read much of the Spectre. I've always been intrigued by him but don't know much about it. What's your take on him here?

The Spectre is already dead, and so cannot be harmed by evildoers.  He enacts cold revenge against them:

Adv431sale.JPG.cd6766f148fbf68d735598cdb99d8ed2.JPG

Now that Galactus has been mentioned, and we’ve deviated from just the anti-hero category, it’s a good point at which to suggest Thanos for inclusion, as the most extreme, empathy-deficient sociopath in comics, capable of annihilating half of the life in the universe without caring in the slightest about the death and destruction he caused, as long as his selfish, desired result was achieved. 

Edited by Ken Aldred

2 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

You know, I haven't read much of the Spectre. I've always been intrigued by him but don't know much about it. What's your take on him here?

If you read the Neal Adams SA Spectres written by Neal Adams you will walk away going wtf did I just read?  He wasn't very powerful mainly goofy.  The panels of him rejoining the dude's body were awkward to say the least.  They should keep all writing implements away from Neal Adams.  He makes Jack Kirby look like Shakespeare.

13 minutes ago, kav said:

If you read the Neal Adams SA Spectres written by Neal Adams you will walk away going wtf did I just read?  He wasn't very powerful mainly goofy.  The panels of him rejoining the dude's body were awkward to say the least.  They should keep all writing implements away from Neal Adams.  He makes Jack Kirby look like Shakespeare.

Yup. Poor stories, and an indication of what was to be consistently delivered by Continuity Comics, years later.

The best interpretation of The Spectre has always been the deity-sanctioned, dark Spirit of Vengeance, first in his original More Fun Comics run, and then as later developed by Michael Fleisher and Jim Aparo in the 70s, and John Ostrander and Tom Mandrake in the 90s.

Edited by Ken Aldred

2 hours ago, entalmighty1 said:

I always thought Ghost Rider was exceptionally violent.

Given his identity, it’ll be interesting to see how much violence there’ll be in the new Cosmic Ghost Rider comic.

9 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Yup. Poor stories, and an indication of what was to be consistently delivered by Continuity Comics, years later.

The best interpretation of The Spectre has always been the deity-sanctioned, dark Spirit of Vengeance, first in his original More Fun Comics run, and then as later developed by Michael Fleisher and Jim Aparo in the 70s, and John Ostrander and Tom Mandrake in the 90s.

haunted pagina was superior in all respects

1 minute ago, Larryw7 said:

adv432april1974.jpg

Yup. Good example, and very controversial for its time, and an indicator as to why the series was curtailed.

Hawkeye. He probably goes home after a long day of working with heroes who have real super powers and grabs a beer and kicks the dog. Wouldn't be surprised if he roughed up the misses a bit too, especially if she yells at him to stop leaving his damn bow and arrows all over the place. He probably gets angry having toe thumbs and pushes small children off the merry-go-round after he runs out of all eleven arrows he brought on the mission too. So he gets my vote for most potential to be violent.

7 minutes ago, Larryw7 said:

Aren't these stories the ones that caused Harlan Ellison to call Michael Fleisher "bug:censored:"?

Never heard about that, but Fleisher’s imagination was pushing the boundaries of the mainstream in this run.

Inventive, memorable Bronze Age, especially if you first read it as a kid back then.  An obvious WTF component to it.

Edited by Ken Aldred

3 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Never heard about that, but Fleisher’s imagination was pushing the boundaries of the mainstream in this run.

Inventive, memorable Bronze Age, especially if you first read it as a kid.  An obvious WTF component to it.

Here's a link about Ellison and Fleisher. Ellison's comments led to a lawsuit.

https://news.ansible.uk/c_platt.html