• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The rise of Instagram sellers
12 12

239 posts in this topic

On 5/10/2021 at 8:13 AM, MatterEaterLad said:

Like with anything, the dealer's reputation matters. With Bob Storms I'd buy the books sight unseen but with Worldwide I really have to examine the scans. I lurked on claim sales forever and messaged back and forth with a few before I pulled the trigger. The cool thing is that it's live and you can ask questions, have them bring the book to the camera, etc. I've bought from online live auctions, like Mound City, and received overgraded books, missing coupons, missing pages, and such -- so that risk is everywhere.

I just bought a graded X94 from @Dreamtoreal1 and it shipped right away, tracking sent, well packed, and the comic is a keeper.

Are Bob and Stephen selling on Instagram now?

Edited by Number 6

2 hours ago, MatterEaterLad said:

I don't think so. I don't think they have to be since they have such a strong reputation and internet presence. 

Ok, thanks, just wanted to make sure. You were just using them as an example in general, not that they’re actually selling on Instagram. 

Really don’t want to mess with Instagram for comics, but if Bob was on there I was going to have to knuckle down and figure it out. 

I think you should work with the visual image of the product you want to promote. Modern marketing has more than five thousand different tools. At the same time, you have only 8 seconds to interest a potential client with your offer, like it and be remembered by him. It's quite difficult to maintain an Instagram account to earn money. That is why many people use the services of various managers, etc. There is also the option to buy instagram followers and likes. This is a convenient thing, because it helps to increase the rating of the account. This is especially useful for business accounts.

Edited by Carolyntgi

On 5/11/2021 at 10:56 AM, Number 6 said:

You were just using them as an example in general, not that they’re actually selling on Instagram. 
Really don’t want to mess with Instagram for comics, but if Bob was on there I was going to figure it out. 

How an online comic book 'claim sale' works on Instagram (IG):

2 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

How an online comic book 'claim sale' works on Instagram (IG):

Thanks for the video. 

My struggle with Instagram is on a more fundamental level.  I’ve never used Facebook or Instagram as the “Look at me! Look at me!” aspect of those sites has never appealed to me. 

The result is that, when someone earlier spoke about effectively using hashtags and stories, that stuff, which I gather is pretty basic, is all gibberish to me. I wouldn’t even know how to find a reputable (or even a disreputable) comic seller on Instagram. 

I’m sure with some effort I could learn (I have a tech-savvy son) but again I have never been inclined because of the attention-whorish aspect of those sites. And the only reason to do so now is just to spend more money. Do I really need that?

But if an increasing number of reputable sellers like A-1are going to be ditching eBay for Instagram it seems like if I want to have some decent purchasing options I’m going to have to break down and learn. 

On 5/14/2021 at 1:49 PM, Number 6 said:

But if an increasing number of reputable sellers like A-1are going to be ditching eBay for Instagram it seems like if I want to have some decent purchasing options I’m going to have to break down and learn. 

Tips on using IG, hash tags, square cover pics, etc.

On 5/14/2021 at 4:49 PM, Number 6 said:

Thanks for the video. 

My struggle with Instagram is on a more fundamental level.  I’ve never used Facebook or Instagram as the “Look at me! Look at me!” aspect of those sites has never appealed to me. 

The result is that, when someone earlier spoke about effectively using hashtags and stories, that stuff, which I gather is pretty basic, is all gibberish to me. I wouldn’t even know how to find a reputable (or even a disreputable) comic seller on Instagram. 

I’m sure with some effort I could learn (I have a tech-savvy son) but again I have never been inclined because of the attention-whorish aspect of those sites. And the only reason to do so now is just to spend more money. Do I really need that?

I'm in the same camp. 

I really don't want to get an Instagram or FB account, but the world seems to be pushing me they way. 

I broke down about 10 months ago and created an IG account...strictly for comics. I must say, the community there is fantastic. Very friendly and helpful people for sure. So many great books and stories shared every day. So much different than Facebook. Even compared to the CGC boards, it's just a much more enjoyable experience. Don't get me wrong...I have met some great people here on the boards, but just way too many people here that are jaded or don't want to help. The air of superiority is almost non-existant on IG. I recommend you give it a try, if you haven't already.

45 minutes ago, Motor City Rob said:

I broke down about 10 months ago and created an IG account...strictly for comics. I must say, the community there is fantastic. Very friendly and helpful people for sure. So many great books and stories shared every day. So much different than Facebook. Even compared to the CGC boards, it's just a much more enjoyable experience. Don't get me wrong...I have met some great people here on the boards, but just way too many people here that are jaded or don't want to help. The air of superiority is almost non-existant on IG. I recommend you give it a try, if you haven't already.

You hit on something that I've been trying to quantify. The people I've bought from and those who have sold my books on consignment have been ridiculously un-jaded. A lot of enthusiasm for the books and the creators not just the $$$.

13 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

I just started posting some stuff I collect on IG. getting to know other collectors as well.

My IG if anyone wants to add: gothamcitycomicscollectibles

+1, as I have not posted anything for sale on IG yet. If anyone wants to add me on their IG: BurnabyComicSwap.

3 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Yeah I just started posting some stuff I collect and sometimes for sale on IG. I figured that it might be the best way to sell some stuff and also getting to know other collectors as well.

My IG if anyone wants to add: gothamcitycomicscollectibles

You just got a follow from me!  (thumbsu