• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whatever happened to Dupcak/Hammer/Comic Keys/Robojo
4 4

102 posts in this topic

Just now, lizards2 said:

If your disputing what I said

Nope, just thought you were making a funny. My apologies for not being clearer.

As to the rest, I'd love the discussion, but nobody else does, so I'll see my way out. :) 

3 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Nope, just thought you were making a funny. My apologies for not being clearer.

As to the rest, I'd love the discussion, but nobody else does, so I'll see my way out. :) 

I'd like to know too, but I think it's all murked up with lawyer stuff that can't be talked about.  Zaid was very communicative for awhile, and then came the clamp down.

Just now, lizards2 said:

I'd like to know too, but I think it's all murked up with lawyer stuff that can't be talked about.  Zaid was very communicative for awhile, and then came the clamp down.

Oh, no, I meant about the issue of covers stuck to the first pages, and how and why that happens. 

19 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

If your disputing what I said, I have to question your collecting background.  Comics do make a distinctive sound the first time they are opened.  At least they did in the 70s and 80s and 90s.  I don't know about now.  The covers were tacked to the first interior pages ever so lightly.

bro I remember that!

42 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Comics do make a distinctive sound the first time they are opened.  At least they did in the 70s and 80s and 90s.  I don't know about now.  The covers were tacked to the first interior pages ever so lightly.

This. And they still do. Bronze, copper, and many modern age comics, with their cover stock glossier than gold and silver age comics, that have been pressed with a more than moderate heat setting, let's say around 220 degrees, will also give you that "cover sticking to the splash page", first time opened "swish". Not literally stuck to, but adhered where careful separation is necessary to slowly peel it open..

Edited by James J Johnson

42 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

If your disputing what I said, I have to question your collecting background.  Comics do make a distinctive sound the first time they are opened.  At least they did in the 70s and 80s and 90s.  I don't know about now.  The covers were tacked to the first interior pages ever so lightly.

They also crackle a little bit because of the pin holes in the newsprint that 'stick' together ever so slightly.

3 hours ago, VintageComics said:

They also crackle a little bit because of the pin holes in the newsprint that 'stick' together ever so slightly.

A few of the books I bought from an original owner Silver Age collection had distributor spray on the top edge that was still "sealed" in some cases, most notably when there were duplicates in the collection. The only older books I've owned that I am 99.9% sure were unread.

One of the Metamorpho 1s in the lot was like that and came back 9.8. It was pretty cool.

Edited by october

35 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Meramorpho? The child of Metamorpho and Mera? I remember that issue!. Aquaman went on a rampage right in the delivery room.

Posts are hard to write with a 2 year old attacking your face. :sumo:

12 hours ago, mrwoogieman said:

Find Mark's old update on the support lawsuit. The kid aged out and the lawsuit was dropped.

So he can keep on fleecing customers. That sucks. 

I still wonder if he was the guy who sold Todd McDevitt that Detective 27 some years back. Some people in the know won't flat out say it was him, but a couple have pretty strongly implied it.

12 minutes ago, Larryw7 said:

I still wonder if he was the guy who sold Todd McDevitt that Detective 27 some years back. Some people in the know won't flat out say it was him, but a couple have pretty strongly implied it.

What went wrong with that deal?

2 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

What went wrong with that deal?

It's a long story. I'll try to find one of the old threads about it.

Here's a newspaper story about it, but it's not as detailed as later info. I think the old Charlton Comics board had a huge thread in which Dupcak, Greg Eides and various others argued and debated.

http://www.ncnewsonline.com/news/local_news/comic-find-stirs-doubts-hard-feelings/article_f7e6e951-40e5-5687-a582-67de3e4d9595.html