• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just for fun, some old Jack Kirby Collector ads!

22 posts in this topic

The ENTIRE New Gods #5 PLUS cover?  5k?  Wow.

To kind of put it into perspective, I remember seeing Lisa Kirby in 2003 selling the entire Silver Star #1 book + cover for 5k at SDCC.  I also saw Black Panther #7 cover prominently featured near one entrance for 3k at the same show.  

I just realized that New Gods book is EIGHT thousand, not five thousand.  

That does start to seem a little pricey!  

I mean... not anymore, but, for 1998, that would have been a pretty steep expenditure.  

I do remember, though, in 2003 (again), the covers for both Captain America 197 and 199 (AND one of the better 1970 Kirby Sandman covers) all popped up within a few months of each other on eBay.  I wanted a Kirby Cap cover more than anything, but I was out of work at broke at the time.  All three pieces closed in the 5k range and I distinctly remember thinking they were kind of a steal and if I had had the money I wouldn't have even hesitated.  

2 hours ago, glendgold said:

To put it into even more perspective, I'm betting much of that stuff didn't fly too quickly, as savvy collectors of the time felt a lot had something "wrong" with it.  The FF 94 page had no FF on it.  The Thor 141 splash had been shopped around (oh and it's not really Thor there).  That complete book?  Oh, it's only a 4th World book.  Those posters?  Clearly too expensive.  Most of us elected to wait for a perfect page and most of us are sad. 

I know the Thor poster didn't sell too quickly, as it was still available at the 2005 San Diego Comic Con. There was a difference, though; the price had jumped to 40K. In 2005, still too expensive.

Mike

2 hours ago, mxs7 said:

I know the Thor poster didn't sell too quickly, as it was still available at the 2005 San Diego Comic Con. There was a difference, though; the price had jumped to 40K. In 2005, still too expensive.

Mike

What are those worth now? 100k+ I would imagine.

5 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

Took a minute, but I found the other one.

260D9DAB-09E5-4F7D-8172-04BF9FE46F5E.thumb.jpeg.adc89f0cb6112ba004fac9c7cecf9c91.jpeg

is this also 1998?  

Wow, there's the Black Panther cover I swear I saw at SDCC in 2003 - for $1500 less in 2003!   Can't explain that one.  I must have misremembered it, because that doesn't make any sense.  

Edited by Flambit

5 hours ago, Flambit said:

Wow, there's the Black Panther cover I swear I saw at SDCC in 2003 - for $1500 less in 2003!   Can't explain that one.  I must have misremembered it, because that doesn't make any sense.  

Looks like this was $4500 for the complete book and cover.  So the cover must have been split off by that point.  

It is great to see these ads.  Thanks for sharing!  I have scanned pretty much all of these images and put them in the searchable database at www.comicartads.com  

Albert Moy also ran ads in Comic Book Artist, another TwoMorrows publication from around the same time, and I have scanned those ads as well and posted them to www.comicartads.com

Cheers, Lee

10 hours ago, bisquitodoom said:

Looks like this was $4500 for the complete book and cover.  So the cover must have been split off by that point.  

Oh man, I didn't even notice that it was the complete book!  That would make total sense, then!  Someone was going for a bit of a profit there.

And I know for a fact that it wasn't Thibodeaux's booth in 2003 where I saw the Black Panther cover.  

If's funny, because in 2006 or 2007 I was offered the Silver Star #1 complete book - without cover - and I want to say they were asking 12k (Three years prior, the whole thing plus cover was 5k!). 

9 hours ago, Lee B. said:

It is great to see these ads.  Thanks for sharing!  I have scanned pretty much all of these images and put them in the searchable database at www.comicartads.com  

Albert Moy also ran ads in Comic Book Artist, another TwoMorrows publication from around the same time, and I have scanned those ads as well and posted them to www.comicartads.com

Cheers, Lee

Somewhere I have one of his old price lists from 1987 because I was really trying to chase down Maguire Justice League art, a book I was obsessed with at the time.  I just remember all the Kirby Eternals covers for $200 a pop...:cry:

24 minutes ago, Flambit said:

Somewhere I have one of his old price lists from 1987 because I was really trying to chase down Maguire Justice League art, a book I was obsessed with at the time.  I just remember all the Kirby Eternals covers for $200 a pop...:cry:

I've remarked on this before, but I remember full Kamandi books for $800 in Comics Buyers Guide.  I was not in a position to do it.  But, so close. 

One thing I will say to new collectors, some of my early buys have been the best.  And a few of them I should have hung on to!  David

Edited by aokartman
clarify

22 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

Took a minute, but I found the other one.

260D9DAB-09E5-4F7D-8172-04BF9FE46F5E.thumb.jpeg.adc89f0cb6112ba004fac9c7cecf9c91.jpeg

Two of these pieces are in my collection. The Police Trap #2 splash is currently hanging in my living room. I bought if off eBay many years ago. As I remember it I paid $1750, the price indicated in the ad. I do not remember who I bought it off of but it was not Thibodeau or any of the Kirby family. I bought the Insanity splash just a couple of years ago at substantially more than the $1750 listed in the ad.