• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GI Joe 10

16 posts in this topic

Hi,

Was wondering if anyone could shine some light on GI Joe 10 done by Ziff Davis. I think I may have found a copy in a collection awhile back. So this was the first issue due to some weird numbering system but does anyone know if its the first appearance of GI Joe? If it is the first appearance, any reason value of the book doesn't seem to be that high? Seems like a huge key to me.

Also any other information people want to share would be awesome to hear.

b2aaab79ff431c0843e1d51afd243c37_l.jpg

I'm not sure if it was the first "weird numbering" issue or not. Ziff Davis had nearly all it's first issues #10 as far as I know. 

As far a being a "big key" I would say not. It had nothing to do with the toy line or any further GI Joe appearances or series.

The Ziff Davis run in it's self is a pretty cool run. Lots of great painted covers by Saunders. 

4 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I'm not sure if it was the first "weird numbering" issue or not. Ziff Davis had nearly all it's first issues #10 as far as I know. 

As far a being a "big key" I would say not. It had nothing to do with the toy line or any further GI Joe appearances or series.

The Ziff Davis run in it's self is a pretty cool run. Lots of great painted covers by Saunders. 

While I agree there is absolutely no real connection to the 80s GI Joe which became super popular, there does seem to be a connection amongst the title and all. Either way I do find its a cool book that had the GI Joe moniker. I guess I was thinking along the lines of how Brave and the Bold 25 is viewed as first suicide squad when the suicide squad that is almost universally used is a completely different story and detached from the brave and the bold book in almost every facet.

1 hour ago, Rezin1234 said:

While I agree there is absolutely no real connection to the 80s GI Joe which became super popular, there does seem to be a connection amongst the title and all. Either way I do find its a cool book that had the GI Joe moniker. I guess I was thinking along the lines of how Brave and the Bold 25 is viewed as first suicide squad when the suicide squad that is almost universally used is a completely different story and detached from the brave and the bold book in almost every facet.

Good point about B&B 25, but that was already a somewhat familiar book issued by the same company.  The connection between the Z-D G.I. Joe and the later character seems more remote.  You never know, though, when collectors will suddenly start clamoring for a book that was previously obscure.

28 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Good point about B&B 25, but that was already a somewhat familiar book issued by the same company.  The connection between the Z-D G.I. Joe and the later character seems more remote.  You never know, though, when collectors will suddenly start clamoring for a book that was previously obscure.

Thanks. I think I found a copy in a collection, just need to go dig it out. I was just more surprised when I read that this was the first issue and arguably first time GI Joe was in comic format (still trying to confirm this point). Whether it becomes a hot book or not, I find it historically cool and will likely slab my copy and put it amongst my other favorite unique books.

23 hours ago, Rezin1234 said:

While I agree there is absolutely no real connection to the 80s GI Joe which became super popular, there does seem to be a connection amongst the title and all.

I don't see any relevant connection at all.  The name similarity is like saying that Captain Marvel (Fawcett) has a connection to Captain Marvel (Marvel).  Except that "Capt. Marvel" was not a generic term which predated both Ziff-Davis's and Marvel's GI Joe's.   This is more like saying that every character called "Sarge" have some "connection." 

I generally hate the whole "try-out" and "precursor" hype, but this is especially weak. 

Someone had to say it.

7 hours ago, Montezuma said:

It's probably the first comic dedicated to a character called GI Joe, there were other stories including GI Joe characters earlier, for example Police Comics 40 from 1945 had a GI Joe story

1945 (similar to "Up Front"):

image.thumb.png.43ff425280314f41014fdf4cce23dc4a.png

21 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

I don't see any relevant connection at all.  The name similarity is like saying that Captain Marvel (Fawcett) has a connection to Captain Marvel (Marvel).  Except that "Capt. Marvel" was not a generic term which predated both Ziff-Davis's and Marvel's GI Joe's.   This is more like saying that every character called "Sarge" have some "connection." 

I generally hate the whole "try-out" and "precursor" hype, but this is especially weak. 

Someone had to say it.

Maybe you think its weak and that's fine. I didn't realize GI Joe was a common naming terminology or anything. Captain Marvel from Marvel only exists as a result of a copyright issue which absent from occurring would have resulted in no Captain Marvel in Marvel comics. Either way, I just found this issue and unfortunately the data online was quite weak for which I was trying to get some more information. The wiki page for GI joe comics began with the Z-D issue and I didn't want to rely on it exclusively and was pondering the question.

Sorry if that was weak in your eyes but some of us do like to learn and if you prefer only going into discussions with elite experts in comics, then maybe avoid my threads or that of other newbies.

57 minutes ago, Rezin1234 said:

WHOA that is super cool. Is it a book or magazine or comic?

It's a book of comics.  Actually, really cartoons.  Like Bill Mauldin's "Up Front," which was also a collection of cartoons from Army publications like Yank and Stars & Stripes, but this one is not nearly as good as "Up Front".

The lead characters in "Up Front," by the way, were to GI's named Joe and Willie.

Edited by sfcityduck

46 minutes ago, Rezin1234 said:

Maybe you think its weak and that's fine. I didn't realize GI Joe was a common naming terminology or anything. Captain Marvel from Marvel only exists as a result of a copyright issue which absent from occurring would have resulted in no Captain Marvel in Marvel comics. Either way, I just found this issue and unfortunately the data online was quite weak for which I was trying to get some more information. The wiki page for GI joe comics began with the Z-D issue and I didn't want to rely on it exclusively and was pondering the question.

Sorry if that was weak in your eyes but some of us do like to learn and if you prefer only going into discussions with elite experts in comics, then maybe avoid my threads or that of other newbies.

Not trying to shut you down.  Just offering my opinion of the "connection" you are trying to make. 

I take opinions, and information, on their own merits, and am not overly impressed by "experts" or overly critical of "newbies."  Here, I learned something new from your thread - that GI Joe 10 was the first appearance of ZD's GI Joe.  Thanks for that info!  The fact that I disagree with an opinion you floated here, doesn't mean I won't agree with opinions you float in the future.  So keep on posting, and I'll keep on reading your posts.  And Welcome!