• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Overstreet next month, big SA movers?
1 1

48 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, bronze johnny said:
On 7/13/2018 at 9:47 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, it definitely can't be for the covers as this looks like another year with just absolutely horrid looking covers from Overstreet.  :facepalm:

Any opinions here as to which cover version you will be picking up for this year?

Picked up the Apes and Green Lantern/Flash Guides today. Both look really good in hand. 48th Edition! Where did the time go? 

Why in the world would you need 2 cover versions of the same book?  ???

I was originally planning to pick up the Apes version, but my better half said that she preferred the Green Lantern/Flash version as it was brighter and she at least knew who the characters were.

I guess I also didn't really have much of a choice as my LCS had 10 copies of the DC cover version (8 HC and 2 SC) and only 1 HC each for the Apes and American Flagg cover versions.  I remember back in the day when they used to order something like 50 copies.  Definitely no longer the case here.  :frown:

20 hours ago, lou_fine said:

From Overstreet's Top 50 SA books, it looks like the answer for last year was Action 242 and Tales to Astonish 13, both with a 43% increase.

Well, looks like a repeat from last year's Top 50 SA list with both Action 242 and TTA 13 at the front of the class once again, albeit with a smaller increase but still top of the class at 25%. 

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

I was originally planning to pick up the Apes version, but my better half said that she preferred the Green Lantern/Flash version as it was brighter and she at least knew who the characters were.

I guess I also didn't really have much of a choice as my LCS had 10 copies of the DC cover version (8 HC and 2 SC) and only 1 HC each for the Apes and American Flagg cover versions.  I remember back in the day when they used to order something like 50 copies.  Definitely no longer the case here.  :frown:

I called four local stores today.  Three didn’t know what book I was asking about!  The other didn’t order any.  I finally found a store, run by old time retailers who had a few copies.  They ordered a handful of soft covers and ONE HC each.

i too used to get each cover, but just one is fine now,  picked up the GL softcover Guide , plus the Big Book that I can actually read without a magnifying glass.  Seriously. 

6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Need? Buy what I like. Big fan of the Apes (original movie franchise) and the Lantern/Flash cover is really nice. 

18 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, looks like a repeat from last year's Top 50 SA list with both Action 242 and TTA 13 at the front of the class once again, albeit with a smaller increase but still top of the class at 25%. 

I feel like it's a whole year behind then. AC242 hasn't really budged at all lately, in fact in many grades it's dipped a decent amount.

On 6/21/2018 at 12:47 PM, twmjr1 said:

I still absolutely love looking at each new edition of the OCBPG, even though it's miles from accurate and always has been/will be.  What SA books should we expect to have made big moves in this year's edition?

Accuracy and timeliness of the prices notwithstanding, I find the OCBPG indispensable because, in one convenient location, I have all of the information I need about what titles have been published, how many issues are in a title and a brief statement about what's special about a particular issue.  That probably doesn't change much from year to year but, when it does, those changes help highlight that there's a particular book that I need to start paying attention to that I might have previously overlooked.  Then, using that information as a starting point, I can check up-to-date pricing on the 'Net.  Even if OCBPG had 100% accurate pricing on the day it shipped, a month later it's out of date on some books and I'm going to have to check the 'Net anyway.  For that reason, I'm not too bothered about the accuracy of their prices, as long as the relative pricing of the issues is accurate.  2c

Edited by Jim Corrigan

21 hours ago, Aman619 said:

well, the Guides ARE collectibles.  just check the last few pages of each book, where the Overstreet Price Guide PRICE GUIDE lists them all with prices.

I see those prices listed every year in the back of the guide and wonder if anyone ever gets anything near those prices for old Overstreets.

A check of eebay sold listings show only 1st editions having any interest and value (a couple of 1sts selling for around $1,500 each)

The next highest one selling is a #2 that someone took a best offer on for below a $112 listing.

Everything else is well under $50 and usually selling in multiple book lots.

On July 20, 2018 at 1:31 PM, DanCooper said:

I see those prices listed every year in the back of the guide and wonder if anyone ever gets anything near those prices for old Overstreets.

A check of eebay sold listings show only 1st editions having any interest and value (a couple of 1sts selling for around $1,500 each)

The next highest one selling is a #2 that someone took a best offer on for below a $112 listing.

Everything else is well under $50 and usually selling in multiple book lots.

I would also think #8 (GGA cover) would get a decent price, but I'm not testing the market. Mine is staying put; you don't see it often. I gave away four (from #'s 18-20-something) on here recently; they got claimed fast. If you're a collector of a specific niche, certain in-depth articles might lead you to seek out a particular guide, but I haven't met anyone who assembles a comprehensive set (though I'm sure someone is out there).

On July 13, 2018 at 5:39 PM, Martin Sinescu said:

This one definitely...

hero_sign_overstreet18_ltr_opt.jpg.77387cd5280a6ad2cc1a3235ed2a1071.jpg

Anyone got the link to order this one? I went to their site and to Graham Crackers' site but I cannot find it. 

I wonder if they even asked Starlin if he would do this cover? At least it's for a good cause; though I might actually like the Flash/GL cover better. 

On 7/20/2018 at 10:01 AM, Jim Corrigan said:

I'm not too bothered about the accuracy of their prices, as long as the relative pricing of the issues is accurate.

I would generally tend to agree with your point about relative pricing, but the only problem is that Overstreet does not do enough breakouts for many of the books in the guide, especially when it comes to the older books.

For example, Suzie 51 has been going for big money the past few years and yet Overstreet still has it lumped in as part of the Suzie #50 - #55 standard valuation grouping..  He finally got around to breaking out Archie 50 (but not issue 46 yet) from the Archie #41 - #50 standard valuation run several years ago.  Not sure how much of a help it was, but at least he's got the VF copies listing now valued at $1,030 as compared to the $256 it would have been valued at if it had not been broken out.  Of course, in the real marketplace, VF- copies seems to be fetching in the $6K price range.  lol

Definitely not enough breakouts for many of the older books, and yet he seems to have so many issues broken out for negligible price differences when it comes to the more recent books.  Go figure that.  (shrug)

On 7/22/2018 at 5:49 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

In case there's other Old Guys out there, the new Giant Size Overstreet  is no longer spiral bound. I don't like it. It has the look and feel of a telephone directory . 

I was talking about this with my brother. Just shave off the spine and take it to Kinkos. They can ring bind it there for a few bucks. 

On 7/22/2018 at 6:49 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

In case there's other Old Guys out there, the new Giant Size Overstreet  is no longer spiral bound. I don't like it. It has the look and feel of a telephone directory . 

You're a young guy- why are you buying the oversized copy?

6 hours ago, bronze johnny said:

You're a young guy- why are you buying the oversized copy?

The “grandpa guide”, as we call it, is useful because it lays flat when ring bound. That’s useful if you’re doing a lot of research.