• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

visited LOC, some EC, some AF15 art, etc...
1 1

34 posts in this topic

So wonder if it’s Steve Ditko’s family that is donating?  Ditko himself wouldn’t, right? He seems to think such reverence and appreciation is not a valid emotion/response/whatever.  

Speaking of Ditko. Anybody have/know of any  Ditko communications within the time frame of the last 2-3 months? 

21 hours ago, bronze_rules said:

Though the 10 page complete AF15 story OA is there, it was really hard to capture with lighting conditions, angles, etc...  Have to say I was pretty blown away though -- truly a grail, if there was one.  I was told that part of the reason that the anonymity is so cautiously guarded, is that they have been told more donations are expected from the mystery donor.  The only thing I could establish, was it was clearly not Marie Severin.

af15.jpg

Yes, we like to throw the term "grail" around. But there is only 1 in reality. This is a true grail. Any guesses what that 10 pages of OA would sell for? Million a page maybe?

35 minutes ago, jools&jim said:

So only "qualified scholars" are given access to this material in the LOC?  So much for Geppi's idea of sharing his collection with the world...

I'm sure it's easier to be granted access to 'look but don't touch', as making the latter widely available could be expected to lead to mishandling and deterioration of the material.

1 hour ago, jools&jim said:

So only "qualified scholars" are given access to this material in the LOC?  So much for Geppi's idea of sharing his collection with the world...

Exactly. The Huntington Library here in Souther California does the same thing. They have a collection of photographs of downtown Los Angeles taken by a man who lived in apartment in Bunker Hill as it was being destroyed. Wanna see 'em, but no, I'm not a scholar and therefore not worthy. I'm mean I've spent a day w/ Robert Frank's marquet for The Americans at Houston's art museum with just a simple appointment. 

1 hour ago, Tempus Fugit said:

Yes, we like to throw the term "grail" around. But there is only 1 in reality. This is a true grail. Any guesses what that 10 pages of OA would sell for? Million a page maybe?

I bet they came from Ditko's brother. I'm not an expert at tax law but I believe the gift for the donation could be a tax write off. Like I said, no expert at tax law.

Edited by NoMan