• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

For those who have an Action Comics #8 - You can solve the Mystery

13 posts in this topic

I'm trying to identify when Action Comics went from having a combination of color and black and white pages, to being full color. I know #7 has a combination, so I am hoping my fellow board members who may have an early Action comic to check their copy(ies) and report in this thread if it is a full color issue or not. flowerred.gif

Hopefully, this will narrow down the issue if not identify it. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Thanks

This will get you a little closer: I have coverless copies of #15 & #16 and they're full color throughout by then. I'll have to leave it to someone with a better collection to fine-tune between #8 & #14. What is the Superman story?

This will get you a little closer: I have coverless copies of #15 & #16 and they're full color throughout by then. I'll have to leave it to someone with a better collection to fine-tune between #8 & #14. What is the Superman story?

Thanks Point Five! You have narrowed it down quite a bit. thumbsup2.gif

I have also changed the title of the post to reflect this.

...hmm, so would that make it #8? Hey Darren, if you can tell us the content of the Superman story (and I'm curious at this point anyway), that will make it easy to look it up & confirm.

...hmm, so would that make it #8? Hey Darren, if you can tell us the content of the Superman story (and I'm curious at this point anyway), that will make it easy to look it up & confirm.

Actually, it would be #8 or #9

#7 is a combination of Color + Black & White

#8 still unknown

#9 is full color

So we need someone with a copy of Action Comics #8 to chime in. Anyone, Ian?

Point Five, I don't understand what you mean by what Superman story? For many years I have been wanting to know when Action Comics went to full color. Not sure how I would know what the Superman story is, if I don't know the issue.

This thread is exactly why these message boards are the very best for collectors... I cant imagine finding out this kind of deep collector info even 5 years ago... You guys kick @$$.

Point Five, I don't understand what you mean by what Superman story? For many years I have been wanting to know when Action Comics went to full color. Not sure how I would know what the Superman story is, if I don't know the issue.

Sorry Darren, I misunderstood...I thought you had a coverless early Action you were trying to identify, as is often the case when someone asks for clues like these. No worries.

According to the GCD (Grand Comic Book Database), Action 1-7 have two black and white stories. Action 8-13 have two stories that are red, black and white. Not having these comics I can't verify it, but I have other early DC's that have stories in red, black and white. They are not full color.

So, Action 7 appears to be the last issue with black and white stories, but #14 is the first issue with "full" color on all of the stories.

Does this make sense?