• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pedigree books?
2 2

13 posts in this topic

I picked up a couple Pedigree books in the comiclink auction this week.I have never owned any before and do not know to much about the whole thing. I grabbed them because I thought it was a pretty cool part of comic history, they were not too much money and one of them is Showcase featuring Jason's Quest (my name is Jason LOL)

The Showcase is number 90 CGC 9.4 and from the John G. Fantucchio Pedigree and the second one is Warlock 8 CGC 9.2 Mile High II Pedrigree

Now I guess I wanted to know what the pedigrees really mean and how would someone value a pedigree book vs a none pedigree of the same value?

Thanks in advance. 

IMG_9591.jpg

Basically a comic Pedigree began as a way for dealers and collectors to describe a bunch of books entering the market that had an overall  special quality to each book.  As they showed up at dealers booths at conventions — long before the internet — collectors bought them on sight for their high grade freshness.  Often the books in the early pedigree collections were spectacularly pristine.  (Nor each and every book... but overall a book from that pedigree was special.... nd highly sought after.)

word spread each time, and each collection was given a name that allowed other collectors to seek them out. This is how the concept of a Pedigree collection began.  In the Internet/CGC era, all the bets existing pedigrees were grandfathered in and get note son the labels. But, since CGC, it has been up to them to bestow Pedigree status to new collections that have surfaced.

dealers and Owners can  still call new collections by unique names, as a marketing ploy, but only CGC decides if the books are “label worthy.”

just go go out and pick up the Big Pedigree Book that describes in detail every major Pedigree, with lists , backstories and pictures !  Oh wait, it’s still a work in progress.  Never mind.  Lol

Here's 2 more sites that provide some information on pedigrees. 

http://www.myslabbedcomics.com

Go to Collections on the top black bar and click on pedigree comics when you mouse over it. Also great to view other members pedigree books that are posted on the site.

http://comicpedigrees.com

The sidebar on the left about half down the home page has a list of some pedigrees and some collections that CGC doesn't recognize but the information the site provides is great none the less 

Edited by deadleg

13 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:
13 hours ago, Unstoppablejayd said:
13 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Not really a pedigree. 

What is it then?

http://www.milehighcomics.com/tales/cbg65.html

I bought as many of these as I could that fit holes in my collection back in 1986.  If I recall correctly, everything was graded NM, however, at least 20% were extremely overgraded, and I sent these back. The rest that I kept were in the 7.0/7.5 - up realm, by today's standards.

I run across some of them here and there when going through my collection.  One book of note is my Strange Tales 135, which has to be in the 9.6/9.8 range - just an incredible specimen!