• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Great Book Dust Jacket Art by Golden Age Comic Book Artists

73 posts in this topic

Yes!

Richard Powers it is!

Kudos to rjpb

I am guessing that prior to rjpb's CORRECT astute guess that the artist was known by both BitterOldMan  & Pat Calhoun

In fact, I had considered using the very PKD book that Bitteroldman posted, but thought it too well known (as it SHOULD be...its a classic!)

Below is an example of some an early '60s cover by Powers; when I collected comics I never went for the Gold Key but now, in the book world, I can truly appreciate how gorgeous that comic cover is

I would say, for those unfamiliar with Powers, he is a waaay up there in the Sci-Fi world as a cover artist, both HC & PBs. Perhaps not of the top tier of a Jack Gaughan or an Ed Emshwiller---but pretty damn close

My next posting will be in a few days; this time it will be someone well known in the comics world, very little known in the book world

take care & thank you

eric

1962.jpg

Artist #5

Well-known in comics world, not so much the book world

As always, guesses-ad infinitum allowed and encouraged...as long as you haven't 'looked-it-up' or know the answer from your personal collections

All answers/guesses, right or wrong, will be acknowledged

No correct guesses in 24 hours & I will reveal

eric

1111.jpg

On 7/11/2018 at 2:19 PM, ericjmz said:

Yes!

Richard Powers it is!

Kudos to rjpb

I am guessing that prior to rjpb's CORRECT astute guess that the artist was known by both BitterOldMan  & Pat Calhoun

In fact, I had considered using the very PKD book that Bitteroldman posted, but thought it too well known (as it SHOULD be...its a classic!)

Below is an example of some an early '60s cover by Powers; when I collected comics I never went for the Gold Key but now, in the book world, I can truly appreciate how gorgeous that comic cover is

I would say, for those unfamiliar with Powers, he is a waaay up there in the Sci-Fi world as a cover artist, both HC & PBs. Perhaps not of the top tier of a Jack Gaughan or an Ed Emshwiller---but pretty damn close

My next posting will be in a few days; this time it will be someone well known in the comics world, very little known in the book world

take care & thank you

eric

1962.jpg

It didn't know Powers by name, but the book covers posted instantly reminded me of the first couple of Doctor Solar comics, which I always thought had a cool mid-century abstract art vibe. I had to look up his name on GCD.

On 7/6/2018 at 7:42 PM, ericjmz said:

In my Bibliophilic world, I occasionally come across wonderful Dust Jackets drawn by great Comic Artists of old

For any who don't know the title, can anyone guess who drew this? (I'll reveal after guesses)

This, on the surface, is a Hard one to guess...but once the artist is revealed, it'll be like "of COURSE it was..!"

53507910_Rothsigcut.jpg.29d86a13aa589b33e3dca1b483ffd33d.jpg

Even after your explanation, I don't really see much of Biro's comic work in this dust jacket. I do like it a lot, though. 

as to adamstrange:- nope; not Ingels; however 'I-see-what-you-See' :-)

as to rjpb : brought back to me a 50 year old memory of visiting my friend Tommy Goslin's house, going up to his room, and seeing all his Doctor Solar stuff; I literally remember it to this day.

(he also Loved Johnny QUEST...same 'vibe')

back then I was a Marvel fanatic; this was a world I didn't know, and couldn't bring myself to cross-over too (then)

as to Sqeggs : I, in turn, had a different reaction; I came across this listing as I was selling my PBO first of this title eBay (sold in 2 days!)

the Sleeper by Holly Roth PB 1st print VG-FN Bondage Pyramid G338 Marchetti 1958

..(prior at)...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/-/173390984845?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l10137

anyhow I often research when I'm selling stuff, and lo and behold I stumbled upon this DJ on ABE (from an Australian book dealer)

I took one look and said 'Oh My God!...Its BIRO'

A bargain price, for this RARE first ed; 15$ if I recall?...I bought it on-the-spot

Different folks, different takes on things

Hopefully, you do appreciate his classic stylized signature

Thank you all for your thoughts; it fun stuff to talk of, is it not?

ericjmz

Artist #5 didn't seem to generate too much interest

It was George Evans (I'd have thought the EC fanatics would have guessed it?)

a thank you to my best friend Scott for the suggestion

The confirmatory pic below

The book was one of 4 put out by the (now defunct) Carcosa Press in the '70s; other volumes had illos by the pulp artist Lee Brown Coye

Give me a few more days and I'll try to post another

eric

s-l1600.jpg

Artist #6

Equally well-known in comics world and the book world

I fear this one might be too easy? We'll see; there are less of these cross-over artists (at least in the golden age (way more common now) then I thought when I started this series

As always, guesses-ad infinitum allowed and encouraged...as long as you haven't 'looked-it-up' or know the answer from your personal collections

All answers/guesses, right or wrong, will be acknowledged

No correct guesses in 48 hours & I will reveal

eric

IMG_6782.JPG

Artist #6 revealed:-

Roy Krenkel; c'mon EC Fanatics, you HAD to know this one! (as I know BitterOldMan did)

for a wee bit of editorializing, though the pics are both from Hardcover books,Krenkel did a bunch of ACE (if I recall?) Burroughs books in the '60s (not sure if '70s?) and the covers were just gorgeous

I no longer own any; nor the more well-known Frazetta ones from the same series

Long ago sold them as I didn't think Burroughs a writer worth keeping.

However, just looking thru the few Krenkel HCs I still do own, I wonder if I should have kept the ACE PBs?

I know the Frazetta ones were waaay more famous & collectible, but in hindsight, perhaps the Krenkel ones were better?

I know I read before Frazetta was a HHUUGGEE admirer of Krenkel

Anyone still own the Krenkel/Ace Burroughs volumes?

Were they as good as my dimming memory recalls?

eric

Krenkel was an excellent artist, but no Frazetta.  Very few artists who drew comics are comparable to Frazetta.   Top tier are Wally Wood and Hal Foster.

I have to concur on Burroughs not as collectible a writer, compared to Robert E.Howard, except for the very early pulps.

My all time favorite writer is P. G. (Pelham Grenville) Wodehouse.   My taste was been labeled as suspect, since I have read every Lester Dent Doc Savage pulp.:bigsmile:

Frazetta

1202386146_LandofTerror.jpg.82c316dd8fe9ccb672b57b7df3916b22.jpg

Krenkel

1019514077_LandthatTimeForgot.jpg.417c69daf14fcb6ef57ccbabea784418.jpg

My understanding is that Krenkel mentored Frazetta in book cover design. Frazetta assisted Krenkel on his later Ace covers. Frazettas first solo Ace cover was Tarzan and the Lost Empire (1962). Here is the final prelim for that cover...

tarzan.jpg

7/30 eve

BitterOldMan & MrBedrock

thank you for the info, and especially the pics; LOVE the pics!

I like both artists ACE book covers very much; I happen to like Krenkel's more (a change from the prior 4 decades of my collecting life) now...but as MrBedrock  points out maybe I like the Frazetta 'help' on said covers.

I also liked the feel 'n size of those ACE books, how they were almost a square in shape, and seemed made to fit in one's pocket.

I also loved the pastel covers of the Krenkel books.

Its just now, on the back nine of life, at a time more of divestiture than new collecting (although sometimes I fall prey to the latter!), I cannot self-justify collecting Burroughs, who just hasn't an adult enough interest for this particular adult. But one could get a slew of those beautiful books for very little.

Also with comics, even if the story stinks there are pages upon pages upon pages of art to look at; with books its basically just the jacket---so you really have to want the book to collect it.

But damn, those Krenkel covers are nice! :-)

eric

to me, this l00ks like Bernie Wrightson, who of course is NOT a Golden Age comic artist.

If it WAS for SURE a Golden Age artist, then I would have guessed Larry Woromay or Jack Davis only for the male figure; but the werewolf doesn't fit that guess

But I'm betting this is the modern artist Bernie Wrightson

ericjmz

3 minutes ago, ericjmz said:

to me, this l00ks like Bernie Wrightson, who of course is NOT a Golden Age comic artist.

If it WAS for SURE a Golden Age artist, then I would have guessed Larry Woromay or Jack Davis only for the male figure; but the werewolf doesn't fit that guess

But I'm betting this is the modern artist Bernie Wrightson

ericjmz

Its gotta be!

It is Wrightson.

I had a UK paperback copy.

Edited by Ken Aldred