• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crazy bids !!!

18 posts in this topic

I noticed this guy as I went thru the showcase auctions too and I am the one that has bid him up. That guy is some kind of nut! With like 4 days to go he was the high bidder and placed 4 to 5 multiple high bids on top of each other. What a insufficiently_thoughtful_person - just begging to get bid up! He must want those books pretty bad. I must admit I have never seen a bidding strategy quite like that before! I hope those books really are 9.4+ because he is paying that kind of money for them!

His bidding strategy is indeed a little out of whack..

But I've also noticed that Showcase New England get a LOT of high bids on their raw stuff...

A lot of buyers exclusively shop with them and seem to drive to price up to the stratosphere...

I wrote about this in another thread, but it got lost in all the dribble. Reading the ads, they say some of these books will get a 9.9(?)(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). I think it's false advertising. Further, they don't even CGC guarantee their grade. You would think for the cash they are getting, they can at least guaranteed a cgc 9.4 if not a 9.6 which they also claim. I have found SNE's grading usually to be off half a grade so we could potentially be talking 8.5's and 9.0's vs. 9.4's,9.6's,9.8's,9.9's. HUGE difference.

I really don't understand how Showcase New England gets some of the prices they do. Everyone I ask who has dealt with them tells me some story about paying for a VF/NM and getting a FN/VF, or getting restored books etc..

I think it's probably a combination of the amount of stuff they list at once, they're high feedback(I would bet many positives are returns) and their return policy. But even still, some of these prices achieved are actually HIGHER than if they were graded.

I think its because they are selling the books in lots. I would pay more if I could fill a larger gap in my collection in one shot. About 2 years ago, they ran a similar group of auctions, and I would have to say, 95% of the books I won looked like they came right off the presses. They were all late silver early bronze Marvels. One of the few times I was happy with a purchase from them. I won most of the Thor's they had up, except for 2 lots. The buyer of one of those lots put the books up individually a month or 2 later and took a bath on them ( I know because he sniped me at the last second, and I bought 4 of the 5 books from him when he put them up).

When they were flogging off there DC books I bid early at a price that is a full grade below what they say. If I win the books then I am happy if not then somebody else has taken on their grading risk. Of the 7 books I won recently, 6 were fairly graded and 1 was within a grade but I got a good price for it. That doesn't mean that everyone is happy. Check the link below.

web page

I’ve had one experience with Showcase and overall it was a good one. I bought 7 X-men books at once and had them all graded by CGC. X-Men 94 was overgraded, but some were undergraded. Here are the results:

X-Men 94 VF- (showcase), CGC 5.5

X-Men 95 VF- (showcase), CGC 8.5

X-Men 96 9.0 (showcase), CGC 9.4

X-Men 97 9.0 (showcase), CGC 9.4

X-Men 99 F+ (showcase), CGC 7.0

X-Men 100 9.0 (showcase), CGC 9.0

X-Men 101 VF- (showcase), CGC 9.0

This was back when showcase listed "All non certified books are GUARANTEED TO MEET CGC GRADES within 1/4 grade or your money back” on all non CGC auctions. When I wrote them about 94 getting a 5.5, I never got a reply. I didn’t mention that most other books got a higher grade, but that’s not the point, is it? confused.gifmad.gifblush.gif

yeah - i am sure someone will help that guy out so he doesn't have to buy all that stuff. But his bidding is completely different than the screwball at Showcase. Now if you had placed 5 bids on the Avengers 100 - after reserve was met you would be more like that green bidder.