• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone else notice the 3 pieces in HA Sig. Auction are listed as STOLEN with Moy...?

41 posts in this topic

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 5:38 PM, stinkininkin said:
7 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

pure speculation on my part as I haven't talked to Albert about this,

I can corroborate this. Bid with confidence.

Sorry, I found your 2 post conflicting.

(shrug)

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

Are we supposed to just keep throwing out wild theories or is an update on these pieces ever coming?(shrug)

Honestly no one really Seems too concerned 

33 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

They are engaged in a legal settlement. The value these bring in will help determine damages.

That’s backwards though A clear title to sell the item should be established before it is sold

Edited by Bird
Theyuse a percentage of the final value they don’t have to wait till it’s actually sold

4 minutes ago, Bird said:

That’s backwards though A clear title to sell the item should be established before it is sold

If the two parties involved are the only ones fighting over title, then it matters not if they have agreed on a settlement.

1 hour ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

If the two parties involved are the only ones fighting over title, then it matters not if they have agreed on a settlement.

really?  First off, if they have agreed they are not fighting...but if they have not agreed the item is publicly identified as stolen with no information other than hearsay to contradict that. But really it is moot as we know nothing other than art reported as stolen is being sold without any known resolution to the reported theft.

3 hours ago, MagnusX said:

Sorry, I found your 2 post conflicting.

(shrug)

To clarify...

1-- I haven't talked to Albert about why he hasn't or why he can't take down the stolen art notification on his website. 

2--He did make it clear some time ago in conversation that the issue of the stolen art has been or was in the process of being resolved.

No conflict.

16 hours ago, Bird said:

really?  First off, if they have agreed they are not fighting...but if they have not agreed the item is publicly identified as stolen with no information other than hearsay to contradict that. But really it is moot as we know nothing other than art reported as stolen is being sold without any known resolution to the reported theft.

As I pointed out in an earlier post, the designation that they are "stolen" was entirely Albert's. Was there a police report filed? Was there a criminal investigation? Or was this merely a sales dispute, and Albert was playing hardball? For all we know, Albert went through a divorce, and his ex-wife grabbed these three pages at random from his stash and this sale is part of the property settlement. We know nothing of the details of the "theft." By listing them as "stolen" on his site, he made it hard for the person who had them to sell to a third party. So, maybe he and the "thief" reached an arrangement whereby they would be sold at auction and the proceeds split. (Which suggests that they were not actually stolen, but there is a dispute about ownership). Until they are sold, Albert will not change the "stolen" designation. But, he is letting it be known through intermediaries (see this thread) that there is no cloud on the title.

ADDING: Another possibility is that Albert filed an insurance claim on these items, and now that they are recovered, he has made an arrangement with the insurance company to sell them in order to reimburse them for the insurance pay out.

Edited by PhilipB2k17

Albert or his friend will probably post here, and all of us in his mailing list got it, but for those that were excluded, this just came out:

Regarding the list of stolen artwork listed on my www.albertmoy.com

Great news! Through the efforts of Michael Finn/help4creators and my friends at Heritage Auctions, ten out of eleven pieces previously listed as stolen have now been safely recovered and returned to me.  

The only piece still missing and still listed as stolen is the Berni Wrightson Horror painting posted on my site. 

My heartfelt thanks and gratitude to Michael, Todd Hignite, Nadia and Joe Mannarino, Jim Halperin, Heritage Auctions, the Hartford, and everyone else in the comic art community who helped. I am appreciative of all the effort and time everyone has put forth during this long ordeal.

15 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

As I pointed out in an earlier post, the designation that they are "stolen" was entirely Albert's. Was there a police report filed? Was there a criminal investigation? Or was this merely a sales dispute, and Albert was playing hardball? For all we know, Albert went through a divorce, and his ex-wife grabbed these three pages at random from his stash and this sale is part of the property settlement. We know nothing of the details of the "theft." By listing them as "stolen" on his site, he made it hard for the person who had them to sell to a third party. So, maybe he and the "thief" reached an arrangement whereby they would be sold at auction and the proceeds split. (Which suggests that they were not actually stolen, but there is a dispute about ownership). Until they are sold, Albert will not change the "stolen" designation. But, he is letting it be known through intermediaries (see this thread) that there is no cloud on the title.

ADDING: Another possibility is that Albert filed an insurance claim on these items, and now that they are recovered, he has made an arrangement with the insurance company to sell them in order to reimburse them for the insurance pay out.

Given Albert's wording on his site, it seems doubtful it was a "dispute"....there's little to no ambiguity. 

Stolen Artwork Alert! 8/23/2007 

At the Wizard World Chicago Comic-Con several valuable pieces of original comic art were stolen from dealer Albert Moy during the convention. 

Then a list of artwork....then this...

A full report has been filed with the Rosemont police department (2007-08-0303). All of the art is pictured on Moy's website along with a full description: www.albertmoy.com. Please be advised that all of these originals are stolen and any unauthorized sale or trading of them is a crime. The original art community is very tight-knit and it would be extremely difficult for major pieces of this sort to be trafficked unnoticed.

A reward is being offered for the safe return of the original art. Anyone with information to the whereabouts of the art, or the identity of the thieves, is asked to please call Albert Moy at 718-225 3261 or e-mail him at albertmoy@aol.com. All correspondence will be kept in the strictest confidence.

Then later on the page in separate incident...

THESE PIECES WERE STOLEN FROM ALBERT MOY
DURING THE 2006 NEW YORK COMICON.

On 7/13/2018 at 2:52 PM, PhilipB2k17 said:

Alberts site says that a police report was filed

On 7/14/2018 at 12:33 AM, comix4fun said:

Given Albert's wording on his site, it seems doubtful it was a "dispute"....there's little to no ambiguity. 

Stolen Artwork Alert! 8/23/2007 

At the Wizard World Chicago Comic-Con several valuable pieces of original comic art were stolen from dealer Albert Moy during the convention. 

Then a list of artwork....then this...

A full report has been filed with the Rosemont police department (2007-08-0303). All of the art is pictured on Moy's website along with a full description: www.albertmoy.com. Please be advised that all of these originals are stolen and any unauthorized sale or trading of them is a crime. The original art community is very tight-knit and it would be extremely difficult for major pieces of this sort to be trafficked unnoticed.

A reward is being offered for the safe return of the original art. Anyone with information to the whereabouts of the art, or the identity of the thieves, is asked to please call Albert Moy at 718-225 3261 or e-mail him at albertmoy@aol.com. All correspondence will be kept in the strictest confidence.

Then later on the page in separate incident...

THESE PIECES WERE STOLEN FROM ALBERT MOY
DURING THE 2006 NEW YORK COMICON.

so if we break into HA and get them back we can get a reward? 

an interesting twist

albert just posted images from sdcc on CAF

one or more of the items in the photo is showing up as stolen on his sight (the one that i found is the thor cover (top right corner) -but you may spot another item? )

see link for item on sight here.

am.jpeg

9 hours ago, Panelfan1 said:

an interesting twist

albert just posted images from sdcc on CAF

one or more of the items in the photo is showing up as stolen on his sight (the one that i found is the thor cover (top right corner) -but you may spot another item? )

see link for item on sight here.

It's not a twist--it's confirmation.  Albert indicated he recovered most of them--so some have ended up in HA and some in his sale inventory.  No mystery.

23 hours ago, Ironmandrd said:

It's not a twist--it's confirmation.  Albert indicated he recovered most of them--so some have ended up in HA and some in his sale inventory.  No mystery.

having spoken to Albert - the explanation is - since heritage was largely to thank for helping him get the art back - he let some of the pieces sell on HA as a thank you to them ( instead of saying - thanks for the art - see you later).

45 minutes ago, robert frey said:

does that mean the the person who had the art tried to sell them thru  heritage? lol, if so, not very smart.

yeah, that's what I concluded too based on the information presented. Who knows what happened all those years, the person consigning presumably didn't know they were stolen.

Malvin