• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overstreet Goofs?

42 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, N e r V said:

Like I said can’t say for sure but I’m guessing it’s unlikely they looked like that. But can’t say for 100%.

What did radiation suits look like in the 1940's?

How common would such a thing have even been?  After all, this book is from April 43.  The world's first deployed atomic bomb was Hiroshima August 6, 1945.

58 minutes ago, path4play said:

What did radiation suits look like in the 1940's?

How common would such a thing have even been?  After all, this book is from April 43.  The world's first deployed atomic bomb was Hiroshima August 6, 1945.

Actually, the 1st atomic explosion was at a test site. They hoisted the bomb up on old oil well cranes in the middle of nowhere and then dropped it. Perhaps that is part of the confusion as well.

Google Trinity Test site!

Edited by Timely

11 hours ago, Timely said:

Actually, the 1st atomic explosion was at a test site. They hoisted the bomb up on old oil well cranes in the middle of nowhere and then dropped it. Perhaps that is part of the confusion as well.

Google Trinity Test site!

Obviously I realize there were atomic bomb testings and radiation pre-Hiroshima.  My point is how well was radiation and atomic energy generally known and understood by the general public pre-Hiroshima? I assume most testing was done in relative military secrecy. More-so, how common were radiation suits - common enough that general public and/or even comic artists would recognize one? 

I vote oil well fire over atomic radiation cover.  But I'm not a historian, so what do I know.  Seems I've accidentally stepped into a hot comic debate topic.

Edited by path4play

12 hours ago, IngelsFan said:

What it looks like the artist is going for here are asbestos fire-fighting suits, used in the 1940s and 1950s for fighting high heat fires.

EA2F7568-3576-4C97-A37E-90FFA2E856AD.jpeg

39C24C41-367B-456E-8B1C-A2D8BE6BD13A.jpeg

Yeah I was at work last night so my search time was limited. Upon further research what they were are actually called fire proximity suits which may be why it wasn’t showing up on my other searches. Depending on the suit they were used for steel mill or aircraft fires often. Still not sure if they would have been used in a oil fire without asking someone who works in that field but they did exist since 1930’s and the artist must have been aware of them so as first stated it’s an Overstreet error. Looking at it from first glance on what we associate as hazmat suits and their related kin it’s not surprising though.

Either way give Ingelsfan a no-prize....(thumbsu

1 hour ago, Bookery said:

This is a list of Overstreet errors I posted here on the boards in 2015.  I don't know if they have been corrected since then.

Adventures of the Dover Boys (1950) -- #2 does not exist.

All Comics (Chicago Nite Life; 1945) -- probably does not exist

Animal Crackers (1946) 1 & 2 do not exist; (1950s) "nn, nd" -- no such thing, but there is a #9 (1957) published by Green that is not listed.... this is probably what the "nn" line refers to.

A-1 Comics #1 (1944) does not exist... the nn (Kerry Drake) is actual #1.

Attack (1953) OPG accurately lists two #5s, but is a bit confusing... the first is dated Jan '53, and the second is dated Sep '53.

Battle Fire (1955) there is no #7.

Beware (1955) There doesn't appear to exist a #15.

Blue Beetle OPG questions the existence of #43... it does not exist.

Broncho Bill (1948) Schomburg did not do the covers for #s 6 & 7

Camera Comics (1944) The two no-number issues do not exist.

Captain and the Kids (1947+) #s 1 thru 15 do not exist! (Title begins with #16)

Catholic Comics (1946) #s 1 thru 4 do not exist.

Comedy Carnival (1950s) This is not a separate comic, but is the same as "All-Picture Comedy Carnival"

Cupid #2 (1950) The model on the cover is not Bettie Page. In fact, Bettie Page does not appear on the cover of any American comic book. This photo was taken in 1945 and used on this 1950 comic.... before Bettie was posing professionally, and before she even had the page-boy haircut. Collectors have been radically over-paying for this comic for years. See same error for My Love #4.

Danger is Our Business! (1955) There are no issues 4 thru 10.

Dime Comics #1 (1951) There is a 1945 issue, but the 1951 issue does not exist.

Dream Book of Romance #124 (#9) (1954) Does not exist. This is supposed to be part of the A-1 series, and there is an A-1 #124 -- but it is a humor issue titled "Hot Dog".

Ella Cinders (1948) Duplicate entry? OPG lists a #1 (with a #2 on the cover), and then lists a separate #2. There is only the #2 issue, which is indeed the first issue.

Family Funnies #9 (1946) Does not exist.

Fightin' Marines #11 (Jan '53) There is no "Canteen Kate" by Baker in this issue... OPG has confused this with Approved Comics #11 ("Fightin' Marines") from Aug '54, which does have Canteen Kate.

Frisky Animals on Parade -- there are no L.B. Cole covers on this title (3 issues) -- this has been confused with other titles.

Hercules (1968) OPG lists 2 "low distribution" magazine format issues for this Charlton title, #4 and #8. The #4 does not exist.

Hot Shot Charlie (1947) Not sure what this is? Does not appear to exist.

Jester (1945) This Chesler title does not exist... it has been confused with Jest.

Johnny Hazard (1949) Ran from #5 thru #8. #35 does not exist.

Jungle Jim (1949-1951) Title ends with #15. There are no issues 16 thru 20.

Katy Keene Fashion Book Magazine OPG correctly lists that there are no #s 3 thru 10.... but he misses that there are no issues 11 and 12 either. The title runs #s 1, 2 and then 13 thru 23.

Katzenjammer Kids (1953) #26 -- OPG lists half of book is 3-D... but only 5 pages are in 3-D.

Keen Detective Funnies (1940) vol. 3#2 does not exist.

Kid Colt Outlaw (1950s Album) OPG lsits this as 132 pages in b&w with cardboard covers.... but it does not seem to exist. Probably not an invention, as much as a possible British or Canadian reprint that was seen?

Liberty Comics (1945) Issue #5 does not exist.

Love Confessions (1951) The Robert Mitchum-Jane Russell photo-cover is #9, not #8.

Love Tales #59 (Marvel) -- does not exist

Love Trails #2 (Marvel) -- does not exist

Merry-Go-Round Comics (1944) #21 probably does not exist.

Murder Incorporated #1 (1948) There is a typo in the price-spread.

My Love #4 (1950) Photo is not Bettie Page (also see Cupid #2)

My Secret Life #27 (1950) Double-entry in OPG... there is no 1950 issue, but the Sep '51 issues does exist.

Private Buck (1941) There is no Large Feature #22 with Private Buck.

Sheena (1949-50) Baker did not do the covers of issues 5 thru 10.

Strange Story #1 (1946) Although some original art exists, the title was never actually published.

Super Duper (Harvey, 1941) There is a #3 issue from Howard, and there is one or more obscure issues from Britain, there is a Super-Dooper comic from Harvey, but the #5, #8, and #11 issues listed by OPG here do not exist.

Sweetie Pie (1955-1957) There are no issues 3 thru 14. There are only 3 issues.... 1, 2 and 15.

Sweet Romance #1 (1968) Charlton. Does not exist.

Sweet Sixteen #8 (1947) OPG lists the cover model as Shirley Jones (as in Partridge Family)... but the model is Shirley Johns (and is not a celebrity as far as I know).

United States Marines #s 7 thru 11 by Toby do not exist.

Varsity (1945) Another title I can't confirm.... possibly this is a magazine and not a comic book?

Vic Flint (1949) #s 3 thru 5 do not appear to exist.

did you send this list to Overstreet?

20 hours ago, Robot Man said:

A lot of his "goofs" wern't goofs at all but put in to the guide to trip up people stealing his material for personal gain.

Right, like the non-existent one-block streets map makers used to put in city maps so they could defend their copyrights against rip-off attempts.

OT:  I used to buy Leonard Maltin's movie guide book.  I would think, "How in hell could this guy have actually seen all these obscure old movies."  I read somewhere that he actually lifted many of his plot summaries -- without attribution -- from the summaries one of the old wire services (maybe the AP or UPI) used to provide to local papers to include in their TV listings.  He carried over the many errors these summaries contained.  Don't know whether this accusation is true, but it would explain how he was able to publish such a comprehensive guide.

In the late 80s and early 90s when I was very obsessive about getting all the comic information I could, I'd constantly have an overstreet guide with me and I'd read it in school in study hall or whenever I could, I literally took it everywhere with me to read and just soak up information and found quite a few mistakes which I wrote in about when I sent in information that was missing in there. I don't think they ever acknowledged the mistakes and they were still in there in the next edition, but the other stuff I told them about they added and I thought it was so cool I got my name in the contributors section lol

Someone else can back me up on this, please, but I cannot find Sgt. Fury and His Howling Commandos in last year's guide, in spite of Sgt. Fury 1 being in the top 50 silver age books. Was that fixed this year? I looked under Sgt., Sargeant, Fury, Howling, and Commandos...and I cannot find it. I really hope that was changed this year. There are other errors that aren't coming to mind that I have found with Golden age books but they are not coming to mind right now...

On 7/13/2018 at 11:33 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

The book is from the 1940s...how do we know what firemen wore for oil fires back then?

Futthermore since the comic came out in 1943 what are the chances that anyone was thinking about atomic radiation?  Was the cover artist a relative of Oppenheimer or something?

2 hours ago, PeterPark said:

Someone else can back me up on this, please, but I cannot find Sgt. Fury and His Howling Commandos in last year's guide, in spite of Sgt. Fury 1 being in the top 50 silver age books. Was that fixed this year? I looked under Sgt., Sargeant, Fury, Howling, and Commandos...and I cannot find it. I really hope that was changed this year. There are other errors that aren't coming to mind that I have found with Golden age books but they are not coming to mind right now...

You spelled Sergeant wrong...try again with an "e" instead of an "a"... (thumbsu

On 7/19/2018 at 11:08 PM, PeterPark said:

Page 944