• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ross Andru's Amazing Spider-Man Club
9 9

2,725 posts in this topic

On 4/9/2024 at 3:09 PM, Spider-Variant said:

I do wonder sometimes about how bad the original face had to be for Marvel to take the time to correct it?

Maybe he had a perm.

On 4/16/2024 at 9:23 AM, Spider-Variant said:

Who knows why the printed page of this original art page by Andru and Esposito is infamous, or at least laugh-worthy?

Amazing Spider-man 157 Ross Andru (pencils) Mike Esposito (inks) 1963 Comic Art

idk specifics..

It reminded me of the Movie, FRiDaY, it is your arse mister postman! :banana: 

On 4/16/2024 at 10:23 AM, Spider-Variant said:

Who knows why the printed page of this original art page by Andru and Esposito is infamous, or at least laugh-worthy?

Amazing Spider-man 157 Ross Andru (pencils) Mike Esposito (inks) 1963 Comic Art

Ok, in just a crazy happenstance, someone on Reddit was looking for the book that this faux pas occurred in.  He had posted his question to the world five years ago.  I replied today seeing how it was fresh in my mind.  He actually replied back today and thanked me, apparently never finding it over the last five years.

Now here is the really interesting part, his friend worked in the room with Glynis Wein, who was the colorist for Amazing Spider-Man 157, during this time period and the friend had relayed to him about the error.  Such a small world.  Love it.

On 4/16/2024 at 9:03 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Ok, in just a crazy happenstance, someone on Reddit was looking for the book that this faux pas occurred in.  He had posted his question to the world five years ago.  I replied today seeing how it was fresh in my mind.  He actually replied back today and thanked me, apparently never finding it over the last five years.

Now here is the really interesting part, his friend worked in the room with Glynis Wein, who was the colorist for Amazing Spider-Man 157, during this time period and the friend had relayed to him about the error.  Such a small world.  Love it.

Is this the one where it looks as though Spidey has no pants?

Lol 😅 😆 

On 4/17/2024 at 4:34 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Is this the one where it looks as though Spidey has no pants?

Lol 😅 😆 

From the old Spidey error files...

Capture.thumb.PNG.fed2155089a6ae1c26f76be08d139379.PNG

On 4/17/2024 at 1:51 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Get Marwood for the win!

I spent a while back in the day checking to see if it was in every copy, which it was (so not an error 'variant'). Happy days :bigsmile:

On 4/17/2024 at 6:38 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

I spent a while back in the day checking to see if it was in every copy, which it was (so not an error 'variant'). Happy days :bigsmile:

I have not seen a copy, if it exists.  

On 4/17/2024 at 2:39 PM, Spider-Variant said:

I have not seen a copy, if it exists.  

Indeed. I see I still had it marked as 'tbc' in my old files. Funny, if you did find a copy with his pants correctly coloured, it would be the 'variant'!  Assuming I'm remembering all this correctly of course....

You are 100% correct.

Now, per my Reddit conversation, this gentlemen almost implies that this was not a printing error but an actual coloring error.  That Glynis had inadvertently specified that Spider-Man's booty be fleshed toned.  That's seems like an incredible hard error to make, but his friend (whom he did not name) said the mistake was clearly by Grace (who we surmise was actually Glynis).    Lot of assumptions here, so take it with a grain of salt.

No idea if this is what actually happened or not, but it makes for Chat board discussion 48 years later, so I like it.:banana:

Edited by Spider-Variant

image.png.866146e5f48422e050fe9a1cec7a5b57.png

image.thumb.png.100ef7f180bf5c7ff5cb4580df80e17f.png

Definitely lost some resolution and with the colors, it gets even worse.  Example, look at the dogs mouth in the original art vs the published page.  Teeth just disappear in a sea of black colors.  And this is the first time in 48 years (almost exactly to the day)  that I realize this young lady is doing her toe nails, lol.

Edited by Spider-Variant

On 4/20/2024 at 8:36 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Definitely lost some resolution and with the colors, it gets even worse.  Example, look at the dogs mouth in the original art vs the published page.  Teeth just disappear in a sea of black colors.  And this is the first time in 48 years (almost exactly to the day)  that I realize this young lady is doing her toe nails, lol.

I honestly thought it was a cigarette in her hand

On 4/20/2024 at 6:36 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Plus they mis-spelled "crash"

On 4/21/2024 at 2:36 AM, Spider-Variant said:

Example, look at the dogs mouth in the original art vs the published page.  Teeth just disappear in a sea of black colors.

I never liked that dog, in the first panel. Odd looking thing, I always thought. And this story was my first introduction to the phrase "SIC 'IM!" 

I'd never heard that before and, if I'm honest, I had no idea what it meant. No Google in them days, to look that one up.

Did he go back and pay her for the window in the end? I can't remember now.

On 4/21/2024 at 3:41 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

I never liked that dog, in the first panel. Odd looking thing, I always thought. And this story was my first introduction to the phrase "SIC 'IM!" 

I'd never heard that before and, if I'm honest, I had no idea what it meant. No Google in them days, to look that one up.

Did he go back and pay her for the window in the end? I can't remember now.

I agree that the dog looked odd in that first panel.  No, there was never a scene or mention of him returning to pay, lol.