• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ross Andru's Amazing Spider-Man Club
9 9

2,725 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Spider-Variant said:

Well, that's not entirely Ross's original on the published cover.  Thought this was interesting (from Heritage Auctions):

Originally, this cover artwork did not actually have Hammerhead on it. John Romita Sr. provided some art revisions/alterations and Hammerhead was likely on an acetate overlay. As this page does not come with an overlay, we feel there is likely no John Romita Sr. art on this page. Please note: At some point, someone has inked Hammerhead back into the scene, using a black ink ballpoint pen. It is possible that a Marvel artist added this detail at a convention by request of the owner, as Hammerhead is seen at a slightly different angle on the published cover.

Was the same guy ever drawn so many times for one cover!

hh1.PNG.e4ac7f91a51c61a1f2943b1721e4d45f.PNG hh2.jpg.106fe46a9735d0121e08057235a59fdf.jpg 1493002762_lf(3).jpg.31e65efc309005eacc074e12c12b6f13.jpg

On 11/13/2019 at 10:47 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Was the same guy ever drawn so many times for one cover!

hh1.PNG.e4ac7f91a51c61a1f2943b1721e4d45f.PNG hh2.jpg.106fe46a9735d0121e08057235a59fdf.jpg 1493002762_lf(3).jpg.31e65efc309005eacc074e12c12b6f13.jpg

So on the published cover John Romita drew Hammerhead, and on the British reprint Larry Lieber did Hammerhead, but who drew him with a ball point pen on the original art?  It could be Andru I guess, but I'm not 100% certain.

image.png.a379a4f5f235ee626a82e3931c6bffe0.png

Hammerhead's left arm looks like a Ross Andru arm to me.

I think Ross penciled in Hammerhead exactly like is shown, Marvel didn't like it, and had Romita do the overlay, before the page was inked.  Someone later, not necessarily Andru, ball penned in Hammerhead over Andru's pencils.  Interesting to me.

Edited by Spider-Variant

17 hours ago, Spider-Variant said:

image.png.a379a4f5f235ee626a82e3931c6bffe0.png

Hammerhead's left arm looks like a Ross Andru arm to me.

I think Ross penciled in Hammerhead exactly like is shown, Marvel didn't like it, and had Romita do the overlay, before the page was inked.  Someone later, not necessarily Andru, ball penned in Hammerhead over Andru's pencils.  Interesting to me.

The feet and right fist look sloppy to me and unlike Ross' finished work so the inker wasn't at their best. It would be nice to know what happened. 

8 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

The feet and right fist look sloppy to me and unlike Ross' finished work so the inker wasn't at their best. It would be nice to know what happened. 

I agree on the inks, but remember it is ball point pen.

If you look above Hammerheads jacket collar, you can see pencil lines.  That's why I think Andru drew Hammerhead on the cover originally.

HA wrote this "Originally, this cover artwork did not actually have Hammerhead on it."

If that were true, why would both Spider-Man and Dr. Ock going flying.  The intent of the cover was to always have Hammerhead ramming these reluctant allies, so Hammerhead must have been on there somewhere to make this happen.

Guess we will never know for certain, but I always love a good Andru mystery.  :cloud9:

Logic says Ross pencilled HH as the cover wouldn't make sense otherwise as you say @Spider-Variant

I wonder how he felt having part of it replaced? I can see why HH was enhanced, as the original is a little distant, but it's still a damn cheek isn't it. Not the first time either (185's head).

I also think Ross would frown on the ball point pen. Something cheap about it, regardless of the whys and wherefores. 

Or, he may not have given a damn and gone out partying with a hot chick on the paycheck :)

3 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

Like that chick that Marlon Brando gave him a hard time about.  That story still amazes me.

Yes indeed. The romance of it all, eh...

Not a bad result for an ASM splash page with no Spidey in it.

I wonder what Ross would make of some of the prices his work goes for nowadays...

6300.thumb.PNG.1d773f3eb4dcc9e05ca45bcbbb9cc17a.PNG

I wouldn't mind betting he'd have an expression a bit like this...

6300b.thumb.PNG.be709598bd9a7236d86b85f3d8daba61.PNG

"How much!" 

:grin:

On 11/16/2019 at 12:01 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Logic says Ross pencilled HH as the cover wouldn't make sense otherwise as you say @Spider-Variant

I wonder how he felt having part of it replaced? I can see why HH was enhanced, as the original is a little distant, but it's still a damn cheek isn't it. Not the first time either (185's head).

I also think Ross would frown on the ball point pen. Something cheap about it, regardless of the whys and wherefores. 

Or, he may not have given a damn and gone out partying with a hot chick on the paycheck :)

late to this party, but:

I actually like drawing in ball point pen. Can achieve some very nice line work.

***found a sample done during a meeting at work.

20181213_150818.jpg

20181213_150936.jpg

Edited by Artboy99

4 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

late to this party, but:

I actually like drawing in ball point pen. Can achieve some very nice line work.

***found a sample done during a meeting at work.

20181213_150818.jpg

8,200,000 what though....? :bigsmile:

Ok, so what this is a little off topic, it was during the time of Ross Andru's ASM run.

So, who is that fellow Stan Lee (on the left, as if I needed to point that out) is chatting with and what's he have to do with the Salzburg, Austria?

58c2e44b1e00003f0077f0e0.jpeg?ops=scalefit_970_noupscale

Edited by Spider-Variant

That's Peeder Parker, sorry, Nicholas Hammond drinking a McDonalds coffee. 

No idea about the link. Could it be age related?  Maybe if I was sixteen going on seventeen I'd be able to work it out :)

6 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

No idea about the link. Could it be age related?  Maybe if I was sixteen going on seventeen I'd be able to work it out :)

Correct, that is Nicholas Hammond, who played Peter Parker on the Spider-Man live-action television series shown from September 19, 1977 to July 6, 1979.

But, was it his most famous role?  That's the hint....

1 hour ago, Spider-Variant said:
7 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Correct, that is Nicholas Hammond, who played Peter Parker on the Spider-Man live-action television series shown from September 19, 1977 to July 6, 1979.

But, was it his most famous role?  That's the hint....

7 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

sixteen going on seventeen