• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Required Reading • Got recommendations?

12 posts in this topic

I enjoy reading about the history of comics, comic retail, different creators, and the like. I'm reading Comic Shop by Dan Gearino right now and thinking about what I might read next. Any good books on the Golden Age? I'm not looking for coffee table books--those don't handle well when I'm reading in bed at night.

1 hour ago, szavisca said:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/416879-ga-comic-book-history-looking-for-a-good-book/?tab=comments#comment-9800793

Of the ones I've gotten through that were recommended Ten Cent Plague was my favorite, have read it twice now.

Terrific, thanks so much! :foryou:

My favorite books on comics is: "Comics Between the Panels". You won't be able to put it down. "chapters" are short and focused. Organized by characters, creators, publishers, genres, and best of all collectors and dealer stories. Stories of conventions, collection finds and funny/unusual stories from the dawn of collecting. They are all kind of mixed together and it flows very well with lots of photos and illustrations. Just buy it, every collector will enjoy it!

https://www.amazon.com/Comics-Between-Panels-Mike-Richardson/dp/1569713448/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1532455348&sr=8-2&keywords=between+the+panels

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

My favorite books on comics is: "Comics Between the Panels". You won't be able to put it down. "chapters" are short and focused. Organized by characters, creators, publishers, genres, and best of all collectors and dealer stories. Stories of conventions, collection finds and funny/unusual stories from the dawn of collecting. They are all kind of mixed together and it flows very well with lots of photos and illustrations. Just buy it, every collector will enjoy it!

https://www.amazon.com/Comics-Between-Panels-Mike-Richardson/dp/1569713448/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1532455348&sr=8-2&keywords=between+the+panels

+1

Absolutely brilliant read.

If you're interested in ECs, Tales from the Crypt by Digby Diehl is an interesting read. It isn't limited to the Golden Age or Atom Age or even to comic books, but it has a lot of interesting information (and reprints of a few classic stories).

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 7/24/2018 at 7:44 AM, DavidTheDavid said:

I enjoy reading about the history of comics, comic retail, different creators, and the like. I'm reading Comic Shop by Dan Gearino right now and thinking about what I might read next. Any good books on the Golden Age? I'm not looking for coffee table books--those don't handle well when I'm reading in bed at night.

These threads come up periodically, which is a very good thing, but often some of the best books ...and oldest... get short shrift due to the difficulty obtaining copies. Nevertheless, that shouldn't preclude a search and purchase ...if one is willing to a pay a little more to acquire a copy that hasn't fallen apart... because it will be well worth the time & investment. 

Two of the best books from the good ol' days of comic fandom are Richard Lupoff's All in Color for a Dime and The Great Comic Book Heroes.  Also, Jim Steranko's oversized two volume exploation of GA comics and heroes Steranko's History of the Comics may be the best introduction to the wonder of GA comics ever, with strong essays salted with literally hundreds of B&W cover reproductions, just large enough to whet one's appetite for the original color versions.

All of the other recommendations are first rate too, but these are the basics (IMO).  I'd highly recommend Joe Simon's biography which has already been mentioned, and for a biased perspective on pre-code comics Dr. Frederick Wertham's travesty Seduction of The Innocent that fueled public overreaction culminating in an overblown Senate Sub-Committee hearing that ushered in the establishment of CCA, imposed censorship and rapid disappearance of comic publishers.

There are lot's of great books on the topic of GA comics once you start delving into it.  Enjoy! (thumbsu

Edited by Cat-Man_America
"Richard" substitution. ;0)