• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hierarchy of Golden Age Comics (2018 Edition)

68 posts in this topic

For a number of years now, I have started a Golden Age "hierarchy" thread to discuss where things stand after another year has passed. If you'd like to see my 2017 edition, you can find it HERE. I preface these posts by stating the obvious: there are no right or wrong answers. My list takes into account historical significance, nostalgia, desirability, how books were viewed in our hobby during different periods of time, current FMV, connections to both the past and present, interior content and exterior display (covers). You could create your list based on any criteria you'd like. I encourage discussion and for different collectors to share different points of view. I do not collect Archie comic books, my focus has always been superheroes, so I've kept my list DC, Timely and Fawcett exclusive. Slam Bradley is not a superhero but Batman might not be either and I couldn't leave Detective Comics #1 off of my list. Last year I ranked books by tier. This year, I'm going to be more specific. 

1. Action Comics #1

2. Detective Comics #27

3. Superman #1

4. Batman #1

5. Marvel Comics #1

6. Captain America Comics #1

7. Action Comics #7

8. Detective Comics #31

9. Whiz Comics #2 (#1)

10. All-American Comics #16

11. Action Comics #10

12. Detective Comics #29

13. All-Star Comics #8

14. Flash Comics #1

15. Detective Comics #33

16. Action Comics #13

17. More Fun Comics #52

18. Detective Comics #38

19. Sensation Comics #1

20. Action Comics #2

21. Detective Comics #28

22. Detective Comics #1

23. More Fun Comics #73

24. Detective Comics #35

25. All-Star Comics #3

26. Wonder Woman #1

27. Captain America Comics #3

28. Adventure Comics #40

29. Action Comics #23

30. Detective Comics #36

Due to trying to incorporate the numerous criteria posted above, the end result left me with mixed feelings. Obviously, Action Comics #7 is far less historically significant than Whiz Comics #2 (#1). It's not even close. But I placed weight, a lot of it, on the desirability of Superman's 2nd cover appearance. I used to be far more harsh on books with "classic covers" and forgettable interior content. But as the years have passed, I've warmed up to understanding the desirability of cover art. There is significance there, to being the 2nd time Superman was ever seen on display at the newsstand.

Some more thoughts:

*Marvel Comics #1 over Captain America Comics #1? Yeah, not so crazy. I've placed weight on Marvel Comics #1 once being the No. 1 book in our hobby. As much as I've enjoyed the Captain America movies, they are not masterpieces. Rarity is a big factor in my ranking A over B here.

*Detective Comics #31 is far more than just a classic cover (1st app. of the Baterang, 1st app. of Batman's first "super" villain: The Monk, 1st Bat-Plane, Bruce Wayne's 1st love interest: Julie Madison).

*1st appearances of next-tier superheroes like Green Lantern and The Flash are on the rise IMO. Wonder Woman is much more historically significant, but she's not on the cover of All-Star Comics #8 and there are more copies of All-Star Comics #8 than there are of All-American Comics #16 and Flash Comics #1, which also came earlier in DC's history. I can absolutely understand ranking All-Star Comics #8 higher.

*Robin is far more historically significant than The Spectre but there are far more copies of Detective Comics #38 than there are of More Fun Comics #52. Like the aforementioned example, I can absolutely understand ranking Detective Comics #38 higher.

That's my list, subject to change and open for discussion. What does yours look like?

Just now, Primetime said:

This is a pretty good ranking list overall. How about Marvel Mystery 4 (1st Subby cover) or 9 (1st Superhero battle) ? 

Those were 2 books that were next in line. I can see ranking them higher.

agreed. With all due respect to AA16, I'm happy to see it ranked in the back 10 as opposed to the top 5 GA in the OSPG. 

Top-5 is too high, bottom of the Top-10 feels right. The rarity of that book does make it very desirable IMO.

I might have More Fun 73 in the top 20 due to scarcity and three second tier first appearances, but this list top notch.  Its all open to good natured debate.  If you take the "super hero" tag off of it I think it gets a lot harder to do when you have to consider Walt Disney Comics, Pep, Suspense 3, etc.

Just now, ender said:

I might have More Fun 73 in the top 20 due to scarcity and three second tier first appearances, but this list top notch.  Its all open to good natured debate.  If you take the "super hero" tag off of it I think it gets a lot harder to do when you have to consider Walt Disney Comics, Pep, Suspense 3, etc.

Thanks. More Fun #73, like All-Star #8, would rank higher with an Aquaman/Green Arrow cover appearance. A coverless copy just sold for a ridiculous amount on eBay the other night. The desirability is definitely there. I just hope that it's not tied with the success/failure of the new Aquaman movie. Comic books are more than that.

2 minutes ago, Wayne-Tec said:

Top-5 is too high, bottom of the Top-10 feels right. The rarity of that book does make it very desirable IMO.

I think the rarity has kept it in the top 5 all these years. Interesting because not many copies are offered publicly as compared to Batman 1 or Supe 1. That says something about the popularity of those two books. Rarity aside, perhaps All Star 8 will pass AA16 one day...

I think the rarity has kept it in the top 5 all these years. Interesting because not many copies are offered publicly as compared to Batman 1 or Supe 1. That says something about the popularity of those two books. Rarity aside, perhaps All Star 8 will pass AA16 one day...

I believe that the popularity of Batman and Superman skews perception as it pertains to the rarity of their key books. Not to say there aren't more of them than some others. But the Batman/Superman books are the first to be offered for public sale. Others, featuring far less popular characters, are best offered at the right time. eBay and auction houses are not always the best gages for rarity.

15 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

I might be tempted to split Marvel Comics #1 - the October date vs the November date with the October date in front.

If you could differentiate between copies of Action #1 printed on day-8 vs. day-23, would you value the latter significantly less?

Same comic, same paper stock, same ink, same printing press. The earlier the better I suppose, but not enough for there to be any more of a price adjustment than what we’ve seen already.

3 hours ago, Wayne-Tec said:

If you could differentiate between copies of Action #1 printed on day-8 vs. day-23, would you value the latter significantly less?

Same comic, same paper stock, same ink, same printing press. The earlier the better I suppose, but not enough for there to be any more of a price adjustment than what we’ve seen already.

Oct. copies vs. Nov. copies is basically first print vs. second print and, yes, I think a lot of folks prefer first prints.  But, 

5 hours ago, Wayne-Tec said:

For a number of years now, I have started a Golden Age "hierarchy" thread to discuss where things stand after another year has passed. If you'd like to see my 2017 edition, you can find it HERE. I preface these posts by stating the obvious: there are no right or wrong answers. My list takes into account historical significance, nostalgia, desirability, how books were viewed in our hobby during different periods of time, current FMV, connections to both the past and present, interior content and exterior display (covers)

I'd drop Action 7 and D 31 out of the top 10 unless the point of the list is heavily weighted to FMV (which you seem to weigh twice by also using the amorphous "desirability" as a criteria) as neither tick as many boxes in your criteria as books below them.  Heck, I'd rank D33 over D31, but both out of the top 10.  Action 10 and 13 are likewise far too highly ranked given your stated criteria, and should not be above books like AS 8, Flash 1, D 33, MF 52.  In short, I think you are giving short shrift to the following criteria you cite:

* historical significance

* nostalgia

* how books were viewed during different periods of time

* connections to both past and present

* interior content

Great list. Thank you for sharing!

GA collecting is such a fun hobby for me, because so many of us have different focal points.

I get such a charge out of the wide variety of cover art from the golden age. That's where I'm rooted in the hobby. So my hierarchy would look so different that I wouldn't want to diverge the thread. But I'll definitely be enjoying the conversation :popcorn:

7 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

I'd drop Action 7 and D 31 out of the top 10 unless the point of the list is heavily weighted to FMV (which you seem to weigh twice by also using the amorphous "desirability" as a criteria) as neither tick as many boxes in your criteria as books below them.  Heck, I'd rank D33 over D31, but both out of the top 10.  Action 10 and 13 are likewise far too highly ranked given your stated criteria, and should not be above books like AS 8, Flash 1, D 33, MF 52.  In short, I think you are giving short shrift to the following criteria you cite:

* historical significance

* nostalgia

* how books were viewed during different periods of time

* connections to both past and present

* interior content

Definitely some food for thought here. Very valid points. As I stated last year, books like Action #7 and Tec #31 have been elevated for about a full decade now, standing towards the top during the “Golden Age of FMV.” My process is far from scientific, but I do weigh desirability and FMV during the 2010s a bit more heavily than, say, the 1980s. It’s a difficult thing to quantify but your points regarding historical significance are strong.

I’m going to brainstorm a new list that shifts the focus more towards historical significance. That will change the list quite a bit.

11 hours ago, Wayne-Tec said:

Maybe not significantly less but yes perhaps slightly less IF it was clear that buyers/collectors viewed the two versions differently enough to attach a premium on one over another.

I think that most would attach a premium to Marvel Comics #1 October dated over the one dated November.  How much of a premium I don't know but I know that if I had my choice between the two identically graded versions, I would choose October hands down - and I'd pay a premium for it.

Batman #1 has different covers and apparently Superman #1 has variants but I'm not sure that the community attaches a premium to those different versions.  If they do, then one could argue that they should be separated as well.

Edited by pemart1966

I moved Wonder Woman GA comics up in my tier. She is becoming far more of a bigger player than GA Flash or GA Green Lantern with modern culture.

Also the ones I bolded are because I see great growth with them in the upcoming years do to being introduced to mainstream by Hollywood. Like More Fun #73 will be more sought after in the future because it has first appearances of Green Arrow and Aquaman.

Tier-1:

Action Comics #1, Detective Comics #27, Captain America Comics # 1,All-Star Comics #8(first Wonder Woman)

Tier-2:

Batman #1(first Joker),Whiz Comics #2 (#1 Shazam),More Fun Comics #73(first Green Arrow and Aquaman),Superman #1, Marvel Comics #1, Sensation Comics #1,Wonder Woman #1

Tier-3:

Action Comics #7, Detective Comics #31,  All-Star Comics #3, 

Tier-4:

More Fun Comics #52, Action Comics #10, Detective Comics #29,

Tier-5:

Detective Comics #1, Action Comics #2, Action Comics #13, Detective Comics #33

Tier-6:

Detective Comics #28, Adventure Comics #40, Detective Comics #35, Detective Comics #38 

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

14 hours ago, Primetime said:

agreed. With all due respect to AA16, I'm happy to see it ranked in the back 10 as opposed to the top 5 GA in the OSPG. 

I agree with this as GA Green Lantern and GA Flash are not the beloved versions that are loved by millions of fans now.

Ask anybody who the Flash or Green Lantern are and the vast majority would say

Barry Allen or Wally West for Flash. 

Hal Jordan or John Stewart for Green Lantern.

Heck, even Kyle Rayner would get more votes as the Green Lantern than Alan Scott.

I see AA #16 much down on the list going forward. 

6 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

Maybe not significantly less but yes perhaps slightly less IF it was clear that buyers/collectors viewed the two versions differently enough to attach a premium on one over another.

I think that most would attach a premium to Marvel Comics #1 October dated over the one dated November.  How much of a premium I don't know but I know that if I had my choice between the two identically graded versions, I would choose October hands down - and I'd pay a premium for it.

Batman #1 has different covers and apparently Superman #1 has variants but I'm not sure that the community attaches a premium to those different versions.  If they do, then one could argue that they should be separated as well.

I think as the hobby continues to grow these will start to be different prices. Why there has been not much difference in prices is the majority of the hobby does not know there are different versions. Once it has become established there are different versions than there will be different prices.

This will become a huge factor down the road. Kind of like with Walking Dead #1 where there is a black label and a white label first print of the issue. At first no one cared, but now there is a price difference.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

15 hours ago, Wayne-Tec said:

For a number of years now, I have started a Golden Age "hierarchy" thread to discuss where things stand after another year has passed. If you'd like to see my 2017 edition, you can find it HERE. I preface these posts by stating the obvious: there are no right or wrong answers. My list takes into account historical significance, nostalgia, desirability, how books were viewed in our hobby during different periods of time, current FMV, connections to both the past and present, interior content and exterior display (covers). You could create your list based on any criteria you'd like. I encourage discussion and for different collectors to share different points of view. I do not collect Archie comic books, my focus has always been superheroes, so I've kept my list DC, Timely and Fawcett exclusive. Slam Bradley is not a superhero but Batman might not be either and I couldn't leave Detective Comics #1 off of my list. Last year I ranked books by tier. This year, I'm going to be more specific. 

Always enjoy seeing this and always well-thought out :smile: