• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pressing is it worth it?
1 1

66 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Eric C. said:

Yes pressing in a general sense can be worth it depending on if there are creases that don't break color (as in turns the color white, that would be a color breaking crease and can not be pressed out).  A book such as X-Men #1 (1991) is a very cool book with a great cover but not valuable by any means due to its huge print run and taking the book you already had graded to get regraded wouldn't make any financial sense at all.  I'd suggest getting a higher grade copy to begin with raw (not graded) if you'd like to get a higher grade back from CGC for your own personal collection.  It isn't a book to invest in but maybe it has sentimental value for you, hence your wanting of a higher grade.

And for me thats more of the point its one of the first comics I bought as a kid and it does have sentimental value to me. 

2 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Here ya' go:

Very interesting! Now to clarify do you wrap the comic in the parchment paper? would wax paper work?  Whats the recommended type of wood to lay the comic on? would OSB work or am I better off getting a book size pine 2x4?  

14 hours ago, bhagen61 said:

And for me thats more of the point its one of the first comics I bought as a kid and it does have sentimental value to me. 

What happens to your sentimental value when you send the book off to be machine-manipulated, or take a hot iron to it yourself to crush out some waves and rolls?  It's not exactly one of the first comics you bought as a kid and held onto all these years anymore, is it?

Edited by namisgr

4 hours ago, namisgr said:

What happens to your sentimental value when you send the book off to be machine-manipulated, or take a hot iron to it yourself to crush out some waves and rolls?  It's not exactly one of the first comics you bought as a kid and held onto all these years anymore, is it?

Damn i hate logic. ?

Doing it myself is not logical at least with this book.

Has anyone had a bad expirance sending a book to get pressed?

Has anyone sent there book in for pressing and look back at it as the best thing they ever done?

5 hours ago, bhagen61 said:

Yes, bad things can happen from either the press or the whole submission process. Think of all the handling that goes on ? Unless I intend on selling a book, I never resub. Not a lot of bad experiences but enough that I cannot take a chance anymore with my prize possessions. 

5 hours ago, bhagen61 said:

Damn i hate logic. ?

Doing it myself is not logical at least with this book.

Has anyone sent there book in for pressing and look back at it as the best thing they ever done?

Sure, bad stuff can happen.  Anytime you ship a book there's a chance it could be damaged in transit.  Anytime you remove a book from a bag there's a chance you could snag a corner or break off a piece off a fragile cover or cause a tape pull.  Anytime you apply humidity, heat and pressure to a comic there's a chance something could go wrong, especially if the book is brittle.

In general, pressing books that could benefit from a press will increase their appearance and monetary value.  They'll often look better but it won't improve their personality.  I've had books go up in value 10 fold because of a press.  I've never had a book damaged from a press but while rare it could certainly happen.

Also, not all pressors are equal.  If you send  book in choose a reputable, experienced and skilled person to do the job.

Edited by thehumantorch

18 hours ago, bhagen61 said:

Very interesting! Now to clarify do you wrap the comic in the parchment paper? would wax paper work?  Whats the recommended type of wood to lay the comic on? would OSB work or am I better off getting a book size pine 2x4?  

I would not use wax paper, as it might melt and get it on to the comic. Really you just need a hard surface that is fine being exposed to heat. This rather rough method isn't to great with small dents and folds, but you could try. Just make sure you experiment A LOT on crappy $1 books before you actually try it on something valuable, cuz you might destroy it. Pretty much all my methods described are experimental and pretty primitive, so go ahead and try it if you want to, but you might destroy your comic. But, hey, you might not. :wishluck:

Just in case: I am not liable in anyway to any damage you might cause to your comic. 

Good luck!

54 minutes ago, HuddyBee said:

I would not use wax paper, as it might melt and get it on to the comic. Really you just need a hard surface that is fine being exposed to heat. This rather rough method isn't to great with small dents and folds, but you could try. Just make sure you experiment A LOT on crappy $1 books before you actually try it on something valuable, cuz you might destroy it. Pretty much all my methods described are experimental and pretty primitive, so go ahead and try it if you want to, but you might destroy your comic. But, hey, you might not. :wishluck:

Just in case: I am not liable in anyway to any damage you might cause to your comic. 

Good luck!

thank god the comic book store up the road has a box of comics that are all .50 cents :banana:

Its something I'll try but most likely not something I'll try on something i'll personally try on this book.  As its already slabbed I am not going to risk removing it from the slab and damaging it further.   

2 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I agree with Jerkfro.

:popcorn:

When using wax paper to press books, make sure you pre-heat the oven to 350°. Otherwise, your books will cook unevenly.

but....ill spry PAM on first ;)

14 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Well, theoretically, the wax paper should keep them from sticking, but a good spritz of Pam would work, too.

You might have some slight staining, though...

True, but it will help make clean up a breeze.