• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you ever store your raw books in top loaders ?

35 posts in this topic

I put all my raw GA into Golden Age size MyLites2 with triple Full-Backs, then into a Super Gold 4-mil Archive sleeve.

I went this route after not finding a suitable toploader to fit my bag & board setup (minus the Archive sleeve). The only one that fits is a magazine size toploader, but it's too wide for my liking, and wont fit into CGC boxes (too wide). SA bags & boards fit into GA size toploaders perfectly, and that's what I do with my SA and newer books. You can fit a raw GA book into GA toploaders but it won't fit with a bag & board.

Edited by shortboxed

By top loader do you mean a Mylar sleeve that doesn't close?

Those are really bad because they allow the top edge of the book to interact freely with the environment outside the sleeve. I used to keep some books in those, but I noticed that  the books were starting to tan along that top edge (over a period of 10+ years). Books that I had in plain old polybags showed no deteriaration so far as I could tell.

I now use Mylite 2s, which I tape shut.

I just use the old fashioned Mylar bags that have a fold over top, with backing boards.  I don't seal them since my main purpose in having them is to read.  I have some books that I got in the early '50's that weren't even bagged until the '90's, but show no sign of deterioration or aging.  I suspect the dry climate here might have something to do with that.  OTOH, some books I've gotten from eBay which were already browning have gotten worse, and I doubt any method of storage would halt that.

Yes I do.

My raw Planet Comics are stored in supergolden mylite 2's with eGerber super golden fullbacks, then inside a magazine sized toploader. The magazine sized toploaders will hold the golden age books in the supergolden sized mylites with board. For box I use the magazine sized drawerboxes and the magazine sized top loaders will fit in them.

I do this so I can store my slabbed books with the raw books in numerical order in the same box.

Edited by Artboy99

Toploaders are not Mylars. They are the rigid vinyl/plastic square sided holders that are used for everything from baseball cards to movie posters.

2 hours ago, shortboxed said:

I put all my raw GA into Golden Age size MyLites2 with triple Full-Backs, then into a Super Gold 4-mil Archive sleeve.

Triple full back?!  :whatthe:  I'm trying to figure out what to do with my dad's silver/copper age books at the moment.  He's got some Dell's which are wider than the silver age books.  This is probably the route i'll go (except i'll probably only go one full back instead of 3)

2 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

What you're describing is called an archive bag.  I prefer to place the book in a mylar bag with a full board and then to place that within an archive as prescribed in the visual guide to mylars.

2 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:
2 hours ago, shortboxed said:

Triple full back?!  :whatthe:  I'm trying to figure out what to do with my dad's silver/copper age books at the moment.  He's got some Dell's which are wider than the silver age books.  This is probably the route i'll go (except i'll probably only go one full back instead of 3)

Yep - nothing will bend these books. It may seem overkill but some of these are 3 and 4 figure books...I'm not taking any chances. When I see an expensive book in a poly bag and one board, something inside of me dies. 

7 minutes ago, shortboxed said:

Yep - nothing will bend these books. It may seem overkill but some of these are 3 and 4 figure books...I'm not taking any chances. When I see an expensive book in a poly bag and one board, something inside of me dies. 

Ah, I don't know how much silver age books are worth, but I can't imagine copies of Gold Key's Star Trek, The Man from U.N.C.L.E., or the Green Hornet being worth enough to warrant 3 full backs in my particular case.

2 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

I can't handle this... not only are they mixed, the slabs aren't even aligned! :ohnoez:

OCD overload!

1 minute ago, FineCollector said:

I can't handle this... not only are they mixed, the slabs aren't even aligned! :ohnoez:

It is done with purpose to alleviate the stresses upon CGC cases.

Yeah...let's go with that.

On 7/27/2018 at 2:30 PM, MrBedrock said:

Toploaders are not Mylars. They are the rigid vinyl/plastic square sided holders that are used for everything from baseball cards to movie posters.

On 7/27/2018 at 2:52 PM, ExNihilo said:

What you're describing is called an archive bag.  I prefer to place the book in a mylar bag with a full board and then to place that within an archive as prescribed in the visual guide to mylars.

7 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Personally, I hate toploaders. The books can swim around inside them, resulting in worse damage.

SlightlyConcave.jpeg

I guess I didn't known that such a thing existed for comic books; I've never seen a comic book stored in one of these things, and I've been collecting for over 30 years. I guess I've seen baseball cards in something similar.

It would have the same issue as the 4-mil mylar sleeves in that the top edge of the book would be exposed.

On 7/27/2018 at 12:47 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Those are really bad because they allow the top edge of the book to interact freely with the environment outside the sleeve. I used to keep some books in those, but I noticed that  the books were starting to tan along that top edge (over a period of 10+ years). Books that I had in plain old polybags showed no deteriaration so far as I could tell.

I now use Mylite 2s, which I tape shut.

I recently rebagged some books that had been in polybags for decades.  The bags were from Robert Bell, if that gives you an idea of the time frame! :preach:

The bags were yellowed, but the books seemed fine.