• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Howard Rogofsky, Robert Bell, and the rest of the "Old Guard"
2 2

92 posts in this topic

I read a very interesting article online, written about 2014, concerning the 50th Anniv. of the 1964 Comic Con (the first one of those). Prominently mentioned were Howard and Robert. The article showed their ads in the comics (a part of many of our Silver age treasures) as well as their mail order "typed out" lists.

So I'm curious as to if any of these early hobby comic sales pioneers are, or have been, members of this forum, and if not, if someone able to contact any of them has ever invited them to participate here. Not just Howard Rogofsky and Robert Bell, but others as well that shared in the formulative foundations of our hobby as a thriving marketplace.

Robert Crestohl joined briefly, for just one post, IIRC, in order to gloat about the stack of money he'd made from trusting individuals like myself after some posts I'd made about the appallingly-bad experience I'd once had with him, described how glad he was to be as far away as possible now from comic collectors, and then disappeared off into the night, doubtless to obtain comfort from his beloved, Everest-sized mountain of loonies.

Edited by Ken Aldred

2 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Robert Crestohl joined briefly, for just one post, IIRC, in order to gloat about the stack of money he'd made from trusting individuals like myself after some posts I'd made about the appallingly-bad experience I'd once had with him, described how glad he was to be as far away as possible now from comic collectors, and then disappeared off into the night, doubtless to obtain comfort from his beloved, Everest-sized mountain of loonies.

Crestohl popped up on FB and ducked out of sight when a bunch of us called him out.

3 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Did he over grade...what was the issue?

I never knew of that guy Robert Crestohl so I did a little bit of google searching on him-- came across this one guys blog and found it amusing that in hte three comments below, one by Crestohl himself, there was a buyer telling him how he ripped him off (cashed his $12 check and never sent him anything other than a note saying the price of comics has skyrocketed). Sounds like a real creep.

http://papadogblog.blogspot.com/2005/04/max-seeley.html

On the other hand-- I did buy a book or two (but mostly comic bags) from Robert Bell-- he seemed to be a class act. Think he retired to Florida some where.

6 hours ago, batman_fan said:

My experience with him is he way over graded.

6 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Needless to say I only made the one order.

4 minutes ago, batmiesta said:

Yes! He way over graded, bought from him once and that was enough.

Exactly the same for me. Now starting to sound like a common experience, and a good way to answer Mitch's question.

Astonishing that the guy was allowed to be an Overstreet advisor.  

7 hours ago, batman_fan said:

My experience with him is he way over graded.  I paid for a high grade Spiderman 31 from him and got a copy with 1/2 the back cover missing.  I got a monthly check while in college that I spent on comics each month.  I  decided to do mail order and Robert had an extensive inventory so I placed my first order with him but had the next several months planned out.  Needless to say I only made the one order.

It always makes me sad to hear this..... but I know you guys and realize you are sincere. I bought a lot from Crestohl back in the first part of the 70's, and the books were always real sharp.... this was before he actually started offering different grades. I wonder what happened ? GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

44 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

It always makes me sad to hear this..... but I know you guys and realize you are sincere. I bought a lot from Crestohl back in the first part of the 70's, and the books were always real sharp.... this was before he actually started offering different grades. I wonder what happened ? GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

GD FN NM came to the price guide?  Formerly NM can cover a lot of grades

3 hours ago, DanCooper said:

As far as Howard or Robert Bell posting on the CGC boards in the past, I kind of doubt it. Dealers don't hang around these boards too often. You come to appreciate guys like Richie Bedrock, Bob Storms, Rick Gator, Dale Roberts, Gary Moondog, Tim Bookery and a few others. It takes a rare bird, and you walk a fine line as a full time dealer on these boards, because your posts could be a reflection on your business. These guys share their backgrounds, information, knowledge as well as be as open as possible in their posts. A rare bird indeed, to walk the tightrope as a dealer in an open internet forum!

I've bought from nearly all of the dealers you mention above and have not had any complaints but that's because they know how to handle their business. You can't say that about every comic book seller, or every seller/retailer of any product. 

As far as dealers who don't hang around the boards, I look at it as one of two ways, there are those dealers who don't do the whole message board thing and that's why you never see them on comic boards and then there are those who can't stand a little scrutiny, get pissed off and defensive when called on shenanigans and then leave, never to be seen again. They don't learn a damn thing because they have their heads up their asses, can't handle any form of criticism, and rarely accept responsibility. Nobody is perfect and mistakes happen. We all realize that but it's how they handle the mistake that matters. However, if their entire business model is based on not caring whether they screw people, over grade, or don't disclose restoration, then it's not reasonable to expect them to come onto these boards and mea culpa. 

1 hour ago, Ken Aldred said:

Seems like they let almost anyone become one. The last guide I bought (couple years ago), I went through the list and was thinking to myself, "who are half these people and why do they deserve to be advisors?"

Just now, Jerkfro said:
1 hour ago, Ken Aldred said:

Seems like they let almost anyone become one.

Yup.

4 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Has Chuck ever been on here?

there was a section when chuck or somebody said he would bid on his own books on Ha.com when he sold the Red Raven 1 and Spirit's. I came out against it but I dont think he responds, how can he defend his prices anyway...it would be a firestorm, so he gives 50% of 1000% of what the true value is, he does have to choice to price his stuff at "any price" when you do that you end up with inventory...things sit..now he has the biggerst comic book stock in the world over 10 million books...not a bad thing, but if they are ever dumped on the market..well

3 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:
5 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Has Chuck ever been on here?

Not that I know of.  I wouldn’t expect he’d ever post here.  He would get destroyed.

it would be sort of funny if he were a regular poster on here using an alias - someone we all have read before but not quite met.