• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Women and WW2

9 posts in this topic

Fyi, I previously researched that Women War Workers logo (WWW with the torch) on Famous Funnies #110 as I'm also rather fond of that issue/copy.

It was an official logo created for the express purpose of a “Women at Work Cover Promotion.” The Magazine War Guide (part of the U.S. Office of War Information) recommended all magazines participate in their September 1943 publications. The slogan for this campaign was “The More Women at Work the Sooner We Win.”

Norman Rockwell got behind the effort, painting “Liberty Girl’ for the Saturday Evening Post. I was able to find a number of participating magazines. In regard to comics, Famous Funnies #110 appears to be the only comic published with the promotion (other comics stuck to the standard buy war bonds theme). Superman that month was a classic image of him standing strong with the American flag in hand.

LibertyGirl_5_6_web.jpg

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Although not a comic, a tip of the cap to my mom Roberta Thompson. While the men were away fighting the hun, she got the opportunity to be the first woman white house photographer. Miss you mom!  <3

momroosevelt.jpg

WOW! That's amazing; would love to hear more stories. Bet she had some good ones.

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Although not a comic, a tip of the cap to my mom Roberta Thompson. While the men were away fighting the hun, she got the opportunity to be the first woman white house photographer. Miss you mom!  <3

momroosevelt.jpg

:golfclap:

On 7/29/2018 at 6:46 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

What's the threshold for giving credit? There are a number of issues that depict red cross nurses in uniform. Fight Comics #19 comes to mind.

My threshold is that the cover specifically gives credit to the ladies. The Target v6#3 above is a good example, and one I had forgotten about.

Covers where the uniformed nurse is bound or otherwise being rescued wouldn't count, as the focus is the rescuing or the bondage.

The Wow 15 above is a patriotic cover (and a great one!), but not one that really has anything to do with women's contributions to winning the war.

The Camera 3 is more of a "smack the axis" cover, and although a woman is involved, it doesn't speak to the war effort by women during WW2.

So we're up to 4 comics that meet my criteria. Can anyone come up with some others?

--ElJay