• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay Deals
6 6

416 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, OtherEric said:

A glance at copies sold at heritage suggests that there's an unusual amount of space underneath the text at the bottom as well, possibly even some white paper at the bottom of the cover which may or may not be the interior pages.  So my very inexpert guess would be bad miscut rather than trimming.  But I'm sure others more familiar with the book could assess that better.

I would agree with your diagnosis...   (thumbsu

2 hours ago, Keys_Collector said:

I have a few of these magazines with awful miscuts much worse that were never trimmed.  Just the poor quality of the printing/assembly process.  That Vampirella 1 isn't too bad and it looks to be a nice grade but I would rather have a lower grade copy without cut off words. 

+1

6 hours ago, wombat said:

I know what you mean.  That price looks like somebody fishing for a naive, new collector.  But you know what this whole thing with the run up on Vampi 1 reminds me of?  

18 years ago when I passed on a copy Spirit 22, F/VF for $700 because I wanted better paper quality.  :facepalm:

13 years ago when I passed on a copy of Crime Suspenstories 22, 4.0 for $800 thinking I'd find a higher grade copy for the same price instead.  :frustrated:

11 years ago when I passed on a copy of Detective Comics 359, 7.5 for $400 sure I'd find an 8.5 for $600.  :screwy:

Same story for Avengers 4, Tales of Suspense 52, Fantastic Four 48, Spider-man 9, etc., etc.  I think we're going to see this happen in the next few years to a whole bunch of Warren and Skywald keys.  And I'm pretty sure Frazetta covers will lead the pack.  2c

14 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

I know what you mean.  That price looks like somebody fishing for a naive, new collector.  But you know what this whole thing with the run up on Vampi 1 reminds me of?  

18 years ago when I passed on a copy Spirit 22, F/VF for $700 because I wanted better paper quality.  :facepalm:

13 years ago when I passed on a copy of Crime Suspenstories 22, 4.0 for $800 thinking I'd find a higher grade copy for the same price instead.  :frustrated:

11 years ago when I passed on a copy of Detective Comics 359, 7.5 for $400 sure I'd find an 8.5 for $600.  :screwy:

Same story for Avengers 4, Tales of Suspense 52, Fantastic Four 48, Spider-man 9, etc., etc.  I think we're going to see this happen in the next few years to a whole bunch of Warren and Skywald keys.  And I'm pretty sure Frazetta covers will lead the pack.  2c

I just spent twice as much as I've ever spent on a book to get a Shock Suspenstories 4.0.  Sometimes, you just need to bite the bullet and go for the book, a certain percentage of the time you'll know you overpaid for the book after a few years have passed... but just as often you look back and realized you timed it just right.

2 hours ago, wombat said:

My point is you can get a much nicer copy right now for that kind of money. This isn't about passing on a book that might go up in value. This is passing on an overpriced book because you can do much better today. 

Yes, I understood the intention of your post.  I was just noting that it feels like other times in the past.  Apologies if my comment didn’t land well.  :foryou:

Its all good. And I understand what you are saying. It seems like with comics you either buy now or pay more later. Unless you are going after movie hype or something like that, prices are only going in one direction. 

On 4/18/2020 at 3:44 PM, OtherEric said:

I just spent twice as much as I've ever spent on a book to get a Shock Suspenstories 4.0.  Sometimes, you just need to bite the bullet and go for the book, a certain percentage of the time you'll know you overpaid for the book after a few years have passed... but just as often you look back and realized you timed it just right.

If I need one last hole to fill in a run, I will first wait for a good copy to surface but I will eventually overpay for a. Copy to fill my run 😷

8 hours ago, allthingskryptonite said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133409799214

Can someone look into the pictures in this listing?

If someone wants a blue label, wouldn't CGC grade this book something like 0.5/Incomplete? 

I would think so(using a missing MVS that affects story/art as a comparison), but then there’s this 1.5 IH #181 to make me scratch my head.DC07B5D8-D9FE-481E-9D1A-D1AC2F565514.png

23 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

Apparently you're not a fan of substantial water staining on the bottom of a book... :insane:

That is the Jim Warren, Frazetta coffee stain.