• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OFFICIAL X-MEN VOLUME 2 FAN THREAD

16 posts in this topic

So, when I was about 12, I was a the drug store with my mother, and saw issue #6 of the 2nd X-Men series on the shelf. I, of course, knew about Uncanny X-Men, and that it has long surpassed the 200 issue mark. Probably going on 300 around that time (1991). I thought to myself ... "Holy [embarrasing lack of self control], there's a new X-Men series!" So I bought it (or rather, my mom bought it for me). My love for comics was born at that moment. I found the nearest shop, which was just a 10 minutes bike ride away and found the earlier issues, then subscribed to the title for 2 years. Then suddenly, when high school came around, I quit cold turkey.

Well, as of June 24, I am only a short 6 issues and 1 annual away from completing the run. headbang.gif I'm going back and starting over with #1 in an effort to read the entire series (at the rate I read, could take me over a year 27_laughing.gif ).

Anyway, this series early on defined comics for me. So I wanted to start this thread. I know there a few more out there who love this series but are probably too scared to talk about on the boards.

To start off, I want to talk about Omega Red. Since I really haven't read much after issue 40, whatever happened to him? I remember him last being in issue 18 or 19. Somewhere around there after the Executioner's Song X-over. Has he turned up anywhere since? Why hasn't he been around recently? He was such a bad-[embarrasing lack of self control]! headbang.gif

Anyway, this series early on defined comics for me. So I wanted to start this thread. I know there a few more out there who love this series but are probably too scared to talk about on the boards.

The problem is that after Jim Lee left (issue 11?), this series and UNCANNY really became interchangable.

Sorry...but X-Men V2 marked the ending of a rather remarkable 5 year run. Uncanny came out of a funk with the arrival of Silvestri and eventually Lee that revitalized the whole franchise in my opinion. Then Claremont was booted and Lee was given his own title. We know now that Lee on his own, even with scripting help, equals horrendous comics.

And Omega Red was just another blood thirsty villain that was produced every other month by Marvel during the time. Wasn't very original and definitely not very interesting...

I know someone has to start their comics reading somewhere...I'm surprised you're still around if you started with these comics...

Jim

I know someone has to start their comics reading somewhere...I'm surprised you're still around if you started with these comics...

I liked the plots confused-smiley-013.gif Sure they could have been better, but considering the other junk Marvel and DC had out during that time, X-Men was one of the best read out there. And Lee's art was enough to get me into comics on its own, no words needed.

he's still looking for that damn carbonadium synthesizer (?)

's funny how all the metals used in X-Men books are somewhat common words with "antium" or "adium" tacked onto the end. If I ever write my own series, I'm going to introduce nikosantium and kiltadium.

he's still looking for that damn carbonadium synthesizer (?)

's funny how all the metals used in X-Men books are somewhat common words with "antium" or "adium" tacked onto the end. If I ever write my own series, I'm going to introduce nikosantium and kiltadium.

What about Goblinite? confused-smiley-013.gif

Ironic tidbit. In the past couple of days I've re-read the first year's worth of the seris. Back then, at the end of the book, they would have a thermometer showing what's HOT and what's NOT basically. Somewhere around issue 4 or 5, it says that "19-part Crossovers" are "COLD." And yet, only 10 issues later, they brought us X-cutioner's Song. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Seems to me that they didn't take their own advice.

Somewhere around issue 4 or 5, it says that "19-part Crossovers" are "COLD." And yet, only 10 issues later, they brought us X-cutioner's Song. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I guess 12-part crossovers, in polybags with trading cards included, were different enough to be "HOT"... frustrated.gif

Jim

Somewhere around issue 4 or 5, it says that "19-part Crossovers" are "COLD." And yet, only 10 issues later, they brought us X-cutioner's Song. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I guess 12-part crossovers, in polybags with trading cards included, were different enough to be "HOT"... frustrated.gif

Jim

If the unopened, bagged X-Cutioner Song books sell for 75 cents, would the book itself, after being removed from the bag, be worth about a nickel? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Despite all the criticism against this series, I have to admit I just decided to go towards getting the full run. The good news is that it will be fairly cheap, and hopefully when I get it, and decide to read through it all, it will be as cool as I remember it when it first came out!

smile.gif

Despite all the criticism against this series, I have to admit I just decided to go towards getting the full run. The good news is that it will be fairly cheap, and hopefully when I get it, and decide to read through it all, it will be as cool as I remember it when it first came out!

smile.gif

Yeah, it should be cheap thumbsup2.gif

I got most of the run between 114 and 156, when it switched to New X-Men for a brief time, for about 50 cents an issue.

I'll forever have fond memories of the Morrison run on the book, excepting the last four issues. The rest hasn't been memorable at all to me. Since Claremont/Byrne, its the best the X-men has been in my mind. Though, I really did love PADs X-Factor. Its too bad Claremont lost his touch and can no longer make good comics.