• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jerry Iger Signature in a GA Book

15 posts in this topic

I just had my last batch of books come back from CGC and was curious to get your thoughts.  One of the books I had graded was a Jumbo #165.  It had a "supposed" Jerry Iger signature on the first page.  I had thought CGC would notate this on the label similar to how they did my National Comics #4 with a Will Eisner sig.  I hadn't requested the notation on the National just thought it was an automatic.  

I plan to call CGC but was just interested if it should have been noted and would that notation have been of interest to you as either the owner or potential buyer if ever sold?  I really don't want to up the cost of a reholder and postage to get that added if CGC will even do so.  It wasn't in the grader notes either which I find for the most part sparse, unhelpful and often confusing.

But again, curious to your thoughts and also if you feel the sig may be legit (I bought it this way and looks good to me).

Thanks so much :foryou:

Iger Sig - First Page

508025119_JumboComics165signedbyjerryigersignature.thumb.jpg.c0eac3be14dfb0504a40ade015e5eda8.jpg

Graded Copy

2707181841591.jpg

National #4 with Eisner sig noted (graded a few months ago)

2203182041591.jpg

And in case anyone would like to see the actual sig on this one

20170927_145525.thumb.jpg.fd16c0dce8a9d70c258a4484b8ac8512.jpg

Edited by telerites

My guess is that they will add the label note if you ask for it.  And, yes, that kind of label note can matter to me if I'm interested in the writer or artist who signed. In the case of Jerry Iger it wouldn't matter to me, although perhaps it would to other collectors.

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

My guess is that they will add the label note if you ask for it.  And, yes, that kind of label note can matter to me if I'm interested in the writer or artist who signed. In the case of Jerry Iger it wouldn't matter to me, although perhaps it would to other collectors.

Thanks Sq. I guess in case I run across any others with sigs, I will request it if I submit the book.  I always thought for notable creators albeit unverified, it was automatic like for the Eisner (which I did not request) and I see tons of Stan Lee.

Seems like also it should be in the grader notes as it detracts from the grade if I am not mistaken.  Disappointing if I want to have it added (assuming CGC will), I incur more cost.

56 minutes ago, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I met Jerry Iger at an early New York convention and thought I had his signature in one of the program books. If I do have it isn't scanned. I'll take a look tonight and see if I can find it and post if I do have it for comparison.

15 hours ago, telerites said:

I just had my last batch of books come back from CGC and was curious to get your thoughts.  One of the books I had graded was a Jumbo #165.  It had a "supposed" Jerry Iger signature on the first page.  I had thought CGC would notate this on the label similar to how they did my National Comics #4 with a Will Eisner sig.  I hadn't requested the notation on the National just thought it was an automatic.  

I plan to call CGC but was just interested if it should have been noted and would that notation have been of interest to you as either the owner or potential buyer if ever sold?  I really don't want to up the cost of a reholder and postage to get that added if CGC will even do so.  It wasn't in the grader notes either which I find for the most part sparse, unhelpful and often confusing.

But again, curious to your thoughts and also if you feel the sig may be legit (I bought it this way and looks good to me).

Thanks so much :foryou:

Iger Sig - First Page

508025119_JumboComics165signedbyjerryigersignature.thumb.jpg.c0eac3be14dfb0504a40ade015e5eda8.jpg

Graded Copy

2707181841591.jpg

National #4 with Eisner sig noted (graded a few months ago)

2203182041591.jpg

And in case anyone would like to see the actual sig on this one

20170927_145525.thumb.jpg.fd16c0dce8a9d70c258a4484b8ac8512.jpg

Cool piece of comic book history.

CGC probably doesn't know who Jerry Iger is...:baiting:

Nor does most people here out side of the GA boards.

On 8/1/2018 at 7:11 PM, Robot Man said:

Actually I think you are correct on the graders not knowing who Iger was.  I called and they will reholder.  As always very nice on the phone.  Said the graders must have missed it although the signature is right on the first page and not that small.  Makes you wonder what else is missed.  Honestly though I think it was just dismissed as an unknown sig as they were not aware of who Iger was.  

Caveat on the reholder.  They will verify there is a signature in the book and determine if it legible and significant enough for label notation. If not, I pay the invoice, reholder and shipping fees.  

On 8/1/2018 at 5:11 PM, Robot Man said:

And his nephew is currently CEO of the Walt Disney Company and steward of Marvel! Those comic roots run deep!

1 hour ago, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

And his nephew is currently CEO of the Walt Disney Company and steward of Marvel! Those comic roots run deep!

doh! I never made that connection - had no idea even knowing the last name was the same.  

It made me look up to see if Michael Eisner was related to Will (he isn't but that would have been quite the coincidence). 

On 8/1/2018 at 2:12 PM, telerites said:

Well I took a look this morning but couldn't find an autograph. I know I either met or saw him at one of those early shows and I thought I had him sign one of the program books but the memory banks are faulty so many years later.

21 minutes ago, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Well I took a look this morning but couldn't find an autograph. I know I either met or saw him at one of those early shows and I thought I had him sign one of the program books but the memory banks are faulty so many years later.

Thanks for taking the time to look.  @szavisca found a sig example online and sent it to me and @Grantley Goddard feels it it legit.  Thanks to them as well and the others for sharing their thoughts.:foryou:

Since it is unwitnessed - the notation should be like they normally do Jerry Iger written in pen on the first page or whatever it is they note for such sigs.