• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect and ComicLink August auctions
8 8

352 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Frank Grow said:

Damn those Planets are awesome!  Great prices too.  The colors and creature on #2 are something else.  
I barely took this one- closed just a hair under my high bid.

RAD265CE201865_1567.thumb.jpg.cb49e5516c0b947531e4c32ce23d8f17.jpg

Great book - Congrats on the pickup! :golfclap:

I really wanted to chase this one down, but I just couldn't get over what appears to be it's recent grade increase form an 8.0 (old holder) to a 9.0.

3 hours ago, tth2 said:

This might apply to GA books that are scarce, but that ain't Batman #1.  I can't see why anyone would feel the need to jump all over the first Bat #1 that appears.  Another one will appear soon enough.

The only time I would disagree with you is if I sell my Batman 1. Then people should definitely jump all over it, mortgage your house, sell your kids. Do whatever you have to do to win it. lol

1 hour ago, jhm said:

Great book - Congrats on the pickup! :golfclap:

I really wanted to chase this one down, but I just couldn't get over what appears to be it's recent grade increase form an 8.0 (old holder) to a 9.0.

hm Ignorance was bliss!  Would you share your knowledge of this book's past with me?

3 hours ago, dem1138 said:
4 hours ago, tth2 said:

This might apply to GA books that are scarce, but that ain't Batman #1.  I can't see why anyone would feel the need to jump all over the first Bat #1 that appears.  Another one will appear soon enough.

But this is my overall point. The presentation was very nice for a 1.5 but it had tape. And we want a logical reason why it went so high. 

Buy the book not the label

+2

This was definitely a case of bidders bidding on the underlying book itself, as opposed to bidding on that label in the top left hand corner.  :applause:

Have always been a fan of these Black Terror covers and this looks to be another one of these so-called Japanese "racist" World War 2 covers by Schomburg, although definitely not as outlandish as the more colorful Black Terror #5 which sold in the same auction:

RAD87ABB2018731_105859.jpg

It would definitely appear that one of the hidden benefits of the Jon Berk Auction last summer was to remove some of the unfair stigma associated with both Conserved and Restored books.  This is clearly evident as this copy would most probably have not sold at virtually the full condition guide price which it did achieve the other night, if it had been auctioned off a few years ago.  (thumbsu

Will be interesting to see how the earlier and seemingly rarer HTF Black Terror issues in the Exciting Comics will do in tonight's CC auction.  :taptaptap:

8 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Is it just me or has AS8 cooled down ... a LOT !

5.5@60K

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=769313

Could possibly be due to auction fatigue as there have been far too many of these AS 8's popping up all over the place in far too short of a time.  (shrug)

Definitely leaves one with the distinct impression that it is not that hard to find and if the particular copy available relative to price is not quite right, why not just wait and another one will come along in the next auction.  hm

Just now, MustEatBrains said:

There were a few books I was looking closely at that are IMO just great on the clink auction.  The Torch 23 Aurora, Marvel Mystery 28, One that hasn't yet closed yet, the ZIP 14 Larson (love those rattler covers).
I wish I could have bid on all of them.

I stayed focused and got the 1 book I was after before the auction started.  There's one more I have an impulse bid on that I doubt I'll get but we'll see.

Here's the one I kept focus on and walked away with.  Fight Comics 31.

Fight31.thumb.jpg.c2e7b56668dc32646329db823b828dff.jpg

Great colors on that one glad you got it :headbang:

13 minutes ago, comicjack said:
15 minutes ago, MustEatBrains said:

There were a few books I was looking closely at that are IMO just great on the clink auction.  The Torch 23 Aurora, Marvel Mystery 28, One that hasn't yet closed yet, the ZIP 14 Larson (love those rattler covers).
I wish I could have bid on all of them.

I stayed focused and got the 1 book I was after before the auction started.  There's one more I have an impulse bid on that I doubt I'll get but we'll see.

Here's the one I kept focus on and walked away with.  Fight Comics 31.

Fight31.thumb.jpg.c2e7b56668dc32646329db823b828dff.jpg

Great colors on that one glad you got it :headbang:

+2

Yes indeed, definite congrats on being able to maintain both your cool and focus so that you could nail down what surely must be a grail book for you, especially in light of what must have been huge competition for this much in demand classic cover book.  :cloud9:

BTW:  Did you managed to win this through a last second snipe bid or from a simple max bid which you had placed prior to the end of the auction.  hm

Either way, big congrats to you for winning this book.  :applause:

16 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

+2

Yes indeed, definite congrats on being able to maintain both your cool and focus so that you could nail down what surely must be a grail book for you, especially in light of what must have been huge competition for this much in demand classic cover book.  :cloud9:

BTW:  Did you managed to win this through a last second snipe bid or from a simple max bid which you had placed prior to the end of the auction.  hm

Either way, big congrats to you for winning this book.  :applause:

Thank you sir.  I had a tracking bid placed early, then a last minute take-down. It was manual though as I don't use any of the automated tools.  Don't hate the player, hate the game...