• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect and ComicLink August auctions
8 8

352 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, dem1138 said:

I agree, the Batman #1 CGC 1.5 had tape the entire length of the spine and sold for a record price.  So I'd say no, the jury's still out on tape.  It really depends on the book and how many buyers there are for it at any given moment.  If I want the book, I don't really care about tape.  That's the thing about GA, you don't have many (or sometimes more than one) chances with certain books in certain grades and so you have to be open minded to the books available to you.  You never know when another copy is going to show up and what the price point will be when that happens.  This can shift depending on multiple copies being available in a short period of time, but there's no hard and fast rule here.

It looked to me like the Tec 36 and 37 sold for right about what one might expect them to based on other recent sales of those books in surrounding grades reported on GPA. (shrug)I agree that tape is a fact of life in a lot of GA, and doesnt seem to usually make a big difference on the big books. 

-J.

48 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

It looked to me like the Tec 36 and 37 sold for right about what one might expect them to based on other recent sales of those books in surrounding grades reported on GPA. (shrug)

No. But for the sake of argument could you PM me the GPA data ? I know of a few 2017/2018 sales that certainly didn't end up there.

Edited by Gotham Kid

Nice eye appeal on the Batman 1 CGC 1.5 helped it along. Since the tape hasn’t stained it tells me it’s rather stable. In discussions with restoration experts, of a book is properly stored, the tape won’t cause enough damage in our lifetime that can be seen.

That being said, I’ve has tape removed from a few books just to be safe. 

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Rick definitely has fantastic taste when it come to the GGA covers:

RAD603D0201886_143633.jpg

I have always loved all of the Junior covers, especially this Junior 15 along with Junior 13.  :luhv:  :luhv:

Not sure why Overstreet used to designate Junior 11 as the classic cover way back then, but I was never able to find them in nice enough condition to satisfy me before they started to move out of my price range.  I guess I should not have been that picky as I simply assumed there must be high grade or pedigree copies which I would run into eventually.  doh!

I love Junior 15, but alas, was the under bidder. 

9 hours ago, dem1138 said:

That's the thing about GA, you don't have many (or sometimes more than one) chances with certain books in certain grades and so you have to be open minded to the books available to you.  You never know when another copy is going to show up and what the price point will be when that happens.  

This might apply to GA books that are scarce, but that ain't Batman #1.  I can't see why anyone would feel the need to jump all over the first Bat #1 that appears.  Another one will appear soon enough.

15 minutes ago, tth2 said:
9 hours ago, dem1138 said:

That's the thing about GA, you don't have many (or sometimes more than one) chances with certain books in certain grades and so you have to be open minded to the books available to you.  You never know when another copy is going to show up and what the price point will be when that happens.  

This might apply to GA books that are scarce, but that ain't Batman #1.  I can't see why anyone would feel the need to jump all over the first Bat #1 that appears.  Another one will appear soon enough. 

+1

Edited by Gotham Kid

13 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

who snagged that detective comics 44? colors looked brand spanking new on that one. 

indeed, very nice 44 (thumbsu

Edited by Gotham Kid

47 minutes ago, tth2 said:

But this is my overall point. The presentation was very nice for a 1.5 but it had tape. And we want a logical reason why it went so high. 

Buy the book not the label

The market cares/doesn’t care about tape 

Batman #1 is more common than other GA keys

Again, at this price point there may only be 2-3 bidders and who knows why they wants this specific copy.  So trying to come up with concrete logic as to why is pointless. You get a general sense of the market and most books tend to fall within that scope.