• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect and ComicLink August auctions
8 8

352 posts in this topic

On 8/30/2018 at 1:03 PM, Frank Grow said:

hm Ignorance was bliss!  Would you share your knowledge of this book's past with me?

Sure thing - found it in the links of sales in the 8.0's:
http://comics.gocollect.com/guide/view/112887

It looks like Heritage has sold it a couple times over the years:
https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/jo-jo-comics-8-9-fox-features-syndicate-1947-cgc-vf-80-white-pages/a/7137-93107.s
https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/jo-jo-comics-8-9-fox-features-syndicate-1947-cgc-vf-80-white-pages-it-s-a-good-thing-that-the-girl-on-the-cover-has/a/805-5319.s

2 minutes ago, jhm said:

Wow, just Wow. I honestly thought I could be spending six figures this week and ended up with only a single win. I'm a hunter of high grade classic covers and the prices keep shocking me.

Sorry to those of who I may have run up a bit :foryou:

I did take this little beauty as an upgrade copy (thanks to the under bidder for FINALLY dropping out :bigsmile:):

win1.1276a.jpg.55dc806c2b7041b80536ae67ef6e7d2a.jpg

Congrats! One of the great GGA covers in the biz.

10 minutes ago, jhm said:

Wow, just Wow. I honestly thought I could be spending six figures this week and ended up with only a single win. I'm a hunter of high grade classic covers and the prices keep shocking me.

I did take this little beauty as an upgrade copy (thanks to the under bidder for FINALLY dropping out :bigsmile:):

Congrats! Missed the action... luckily for both of us.

What was the final price?

Edited by zen514

23 minutes ago, Junkdrawer said:

Had no idea where this would end, but I just wanted it. 

72149ABB-2D9B-4A3C-83AE-1CD01B54BF56.jpeg

I sold that copy (and sadly many more of my favorite hoard book) to somebody here before it was graded. Here are some pre-slab pics Chris.  Glad to see this book is finally getting its due. 

ACF766D5-63AA-4314-A744-B3B8733036A5.jpeg

C90C42F0-F583-4C05-A5E7-12EFAB24C44F.jpeg

1 minute ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I sold that copy (and sadly many more of my favorite hoard book) to somebody here before it was graded. Here are some pre-slab pics Chris.  Glad to see this book is finally getting its due. 

ACF766D5-63AA-4314-A744-B3B8733036A5.jpeg

C90C42F0-F583-4C05-A5E7-12EFAB24C44F.jpeg

Oh and to think I was bidding against you. Boy I can see those pages are truly white as stated. Appreciate the pics Rick

8 minutes ago, Junkdrawer said:

Oh and to think I was bidding against you. Boy I can see those pages are truly white as stated. Appreciate the pics Rick

Just to pay myself on the back a tad this was my raw sales description;

Wilbur 8- 6.5- Best copy I have seen for sale-

I went after the Church Nickel 3 but wasn't even the underbidder. With three copies graded higher, I thought it would go for around $1,500. I dropped out around $2K. No matter how much I like a book, I don't like going into territory where I think I might have to take a big loss should I ever have to sell.

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:
11 hours ago, lou_fine said:

For sure, this tied for highest graded copy of Startling 49 will not be able to hit the 6-figures mark that the Church copy managed to achieve a couple of years ago:

sta2.508a.jpg

The only question is whether it will be able to hit the extended time bid button a few more times in order to match an equivalent graded 9.6 copy that sold for $54,970 a few months ago on Heritage?  hm  :taptaptap:

Surprisingly, still not much action (if any at all) on this classic Robot cover even though it's only a couple of hours away now.  

Wonder if it's due to the fact that there's been a marked increase in the CGC census (even in uber HG condition) for many of these classic covers from the late 40's time period, whether it be Nedors, Fiction House, etc.?  Or more possibly, I imagine it might be due to potential bidders just keeping their powder dry for now and waiting for the critical 3-minute extended time button to be hit.  :taptaptap:

Interesting to note that there also appears to be quite a few other nice looking Startling's that will be ending this evening.  But definitely not much in terms of the HTF Centaur line in this go round here this week.  :frown:

$64,000

On 8/31/2018 at 5:40 AM, valiantman said:

OK, but that's just one book at a time.  How do I scroll through a page of results (from last night) in a way that looks like it did when there was still time remaining?

The only effective way I've found is to put in tracking bids on every book I'm even remotely interested in, then after the auction I can look at all my previous bids and quickly pull up the last auction by clicking on "newest listed; auctions first" in the pull down menu.

7 hours ago, jhm said:

7 hours ago, zen514 said:

Congrats! Missed the action... luckily for both of us.

What was the final price?

Thanks! $4,000

Edited by jhm