• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM X-Men #1

45 posts in this topic

With the small tears, spine stresses, small stains, and the corner crease by Iceman I’d guess somewhere in the 5.0 range.  That said with the many pressable defects and general smudgyness of the back cover it could definitely use a clean and press.  Maybe a 5.5 after that.

Edited by thunsicker

I'll give this a shot.

Major defects: 1.5" (approx) color breaking crease bottom right corner, 2" (approx) slight color breaking crease on magneto's arm, 18 small color breaking spine tics, 2 small stains front cover (above angel's leg and marvel girl's hand), color rub top left corner, 2 small stains/smudges back cover, 2 tiny tears/folds back cover leading edge and a tiny tear (or pen mark, can't tell) on top edge back cover

grade: VG+ (4.5)

14 minutes ago, D84 said:

4.5.  Is there any overhang on the top of the front cover?  It looks like it could be trimmed and not just a miscut.

Not exactly sure of your question.  I can take a picture of the top from the back tonight and post if it would help.  If you're asking if it was trimmed, I can guarantee you it has not been, I know where this book has been since it came off the rack.  

8 hours ago, davet75 said:

I'll give this a shot.

Major defects: 1.5" (approx) color breaking crease bottom right corner, 2" (approx) slight color breaking crease on magneto's arm, 18 small color breaking spine tics, 2 small stains front cover (above angel's leg and marvel girl's hand), color rub top left corner, 2 small stains/smudges back cover, 2 tiny tears/folds back cover leading edge and a tiny tear (or pen mark, can't tell) on top edge back cover

grade: VG+ (4.5)

That is a tear on the top edge of the back cover.  Doesn't go through to any pages.  

Thanks guys.  That raises my next question.  Those smudges/stains are pretty bad.  Do you think a cleaning would help any of them?  It couldn't actually hurt could it, the pages are not brittle.  Well, no more brittle than usual.  Again, thanks for the opinions.  

46 minutes ago, Nrrrrvous said:

Not exactly sure of your question.  I can take a picture of the top from the back tonight and post if it would help.  If you're asking if it was trimmed, I can guarantee you it has not been, I know where this book has been since it came off the rack.  

Good to know.

Be careful with dry cleaning the book.  CCS just did one for me and lifted a lot of the yellow on Batman 9.

On 8/17/2018 at 5:45 AM, D84 said:

4.5.  Is there any overhang on the top of the front cover?  It looks like it could be trimmed and not just a miscut.

Looks miscut not trimmed to me.  I’m saying this from the band on the bottom.  That said I can’t rule out trimming from a scan.

On 8/17/2018 at 6:16 AM, Nrrrrvous said:

Thanks guys.  That raises my next question.  Those smudges/stains are pretty bad.  Do you think a cleaning would help any of them?  It couldn't actually hurt could it, the pages are not brittle.  Well, no more brittle than usual.  Again, thanks for the opinions.  

I think a dry clean done by a pro can clean up some of the smudges.  But it will do nothing for the staining.

Edited by thunsicker

I would see how much the cleaning would get off, definitely. If it got a good amount of the dirtiness, I would go 5.0 maybe 5.5.

Cover a little out of line from top to bottom. You rarely see that much white between Magneto's legs. Nice colors.

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 5:45 AM, D84 said:

I don't see any red flags for trimmed. This is one of the, if not, the most top shifted X-Men 1s I've seen yet, the cover border for the sheet very visible on the bottom revealing all the art at the bottom typically cut off in production of semi- to centered folded 1s. That's what's accounting for that top edge trimmed look. The paper itself at the top looks to be production cut.

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 7:32 AM, 1Cool said:

I'd say 5.5 with a bit of dry cleaning and press.  Nice book!

This. 5.0 as is, 5.5 with a pressing bump. It's clean enough and sufficiently attractive an X-Men 1 for a 5.0 to stand apart from all the 4.0s and 4.5s that usually have more wear.

On 8/17/2018 at 9:59 AM, D84 said:

Good to know.

Be careful with dry cleaning the book.  CCS just did one for me and lifted a lot of the yellow on Batman 9.

I saw that in one of the other threads.  Pretty bad.

On 8/17/2018 at 10:31 AM, 1Cool said:

Don't forget to do a page count

OK, brand new guy question here. Is there a particular number of pages or should I just follow the page numbers/story?  Don't laugh, I just started!

51 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Looks 5.5.  Not sure but is that some color touching at the bottom of Iceman's left hand?  The purple circular color in that area looks suspicious from the rest of the reddish background that is seen throughout.  Could also be a stain that may have lightened that spot?

I'll pull it out this evening and take a closer look.  See if I can get some pics.  Definitely could be some stain/discoloration from greasy/sweaty fingers. edit - here is a close-up of the scan if that helps

1138156181_XMen1FCLowerRightCorner.thumb.jpg.221fc0265ca6f8a5a5a4538eb27e2f04.jpg

Edited by Nrrrrvous
added close-up