• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC census is high, but there aren't enough keys
5 5

519 posts in this topic

You’re confusing early comic convention attendance with comic collecting. But if you have rigid definitions of each then what can I say ? I was collecting beginning in 1960 at 8 years old. I amassed a pile two feet tall, which I allowed my mother to toss — just that one time, After that, I was going to the stationary store every week amassing comics each week. Read and add to the pile. 

But that doesn’t make me a collector? I have to register as one as you guys are implying?  Again, if you weren’t there in the primitive 60s, no way can I explain it in a way you will agree with.  

Where do you think all the comics we have now came from? The concept that I need “absolute proof” to have a discussion on the boards iabout something so trivial as how our hobby grew from the beginnings in the sixties makes me chuckle. 

Its like you agree that there were 100 true comic collectors in San Diego in 1970, right.  You seem to want a note, or a historical record from any collectors close enough to get a ride from mommy to the Con as to WHY they couldn’t or didn’t want to go! Or, you are saying, they don’t exist.  So we have 100, would you say there were another 100 in the state of California that chose not to go or weren’t aware of it?   How about New York, Boston, Chicago, Ittsburgh and Cleveland to name a few more large cities.  Really think they didn’t have 100 collectors in each? 

Jusy crazy.

3 minutes ago, Aman619 said:

You’re confusing early comic convention attendance with comic collecting. But if you have rigid definitions of each then what can I say ? I was collecting beginning in 1960 at 8 years old. I amassed a pile two feet tall, which I allowed my mother to toss — just that one time, After that, I was going to the stationary store every week amassing comics each week. Read and add to the pile. 

But that doesn’t make me a collector?

Receipts or it didn't happen, bro.:bigsmile:

48 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

The first Comic-Con in San Diego ( a part of the most populous state in America) was a one day mini-con in March of 1970. It drew 100 people.

I guess comics weren't all THAT big in 1970.

In 1975, growing up in the midwest, I had a hard time finding anyone else that collected comics. I didn't even know that phrase yet. 

"I like comics." That's what I'd say. I had a stack of them. No bags. No boards. No boxes. I'd never even heard of such a thing.

"I like to read them." That's what I'd say.

"But I really like this Heavy Metal Magazine even better", I'm sure I said.

Maybe I'm not the best example.

None of these are DEFINITIVE examples. Just maybe the tip of the iceberg.

Without documented evidence its all just speculation based upon what LITTLE information I have to go on.

Sort of like that Elephant and three blind men story.

In 1973 I lived in Yonkers, NY

I was friends with Scott Frank who collected comics,  Jaan Rank also collected. There were three of us.  Scott and I used to go to the Phil Seuling shows in NY and buy and sell.  We sold books we bought at the Phil show to the kids in the neighborhoods.

I bought my newstand copies from Urich's stationary store on Palisades avenue.   The same truck that delivered my newspapers for my paper route was the same truck that dropped off the bundle of comics so I knew the exact day/time they arrived every week.

So for history's sake I can clearly state that there were 3 collectors in Yonkers, NY.  We all had collections.  We bought and sold.  I took out ads in the monthly publication and typed my quarter page ad on a royal typewriter.  Scott and I sent our SASE (Self address Stamped envelopes) to dealers in the monthly publication to get their catalogs.  I did setup at one 3 day show in NYC.  I probably setup at the Phil Seuling monthly show.  I am not sure which one it was.  Scott and I brought would bring our books in a suitcase.  We would put plastic over the rows of books at our table.   

Sorry but I don't have any polaroids of my early days.  We didn't have a boombox back then,  we had one of those little radio's that played all those songs on AM radio that still bring me back to those days.    

Jim Payette actually had a customer over his house who knew me from the 70's.  We spoke on the phone and I remembered who he was.  We used to trade with each other.  The only other person I remember from the 70's is Mike Carbonaro who I bought my first back issue from,  FF #2 in VF condition for $60 bucks.  Mike still has the glass display case from those shows.  He is the only dealer I remember from back then.   The only other vivid memory from the shows back then are the Particle board displays. 

Edited by blazingbob

16 minutes ago, Aman619 said:

But that doesn’t make me a collector? I have to register as one as you guys are implying?  Again, if you weren’t there in the primitive 60s, no way can I explain it in a way you will agree with.  

Where do you think all the comics we have now came from? The concept that I need “absolute proof” to have a discussion on the boards iabout something so trivial as how our hobby grew from the beginnings in the sixties makes me chuckle. 

Its like you agree that there were 100 true comic collectors in San Diego in 1970, right.  You seem to want a note, or a historical record from any collectors close enough to get a ride from mommy to the Con as to WHY they couldn’t or didn’t want to go! Or, you are saying, they don’t exist.  So we have 100, would you say there were another 100 in the state of California that chose not to go or weren’t aware of it?   How about New York, Boston, Chicago, Ittsburgh and Cleveland to name a few more large cities.  Really think they didn’t have 100 collectors in each? 

Jusy crazy.

You hammer people for "arguing", then you argue.

Pick one.

8 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

Scott and I used to go to the Phil Seuling shows in NY and buy and sell.  We sold books we bought at the Phil show to the kids in the neighborhoods.

That would have been a dream come true. What I wouldn't give to be able to talk to Phil about so much.

22 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

You hammer people for "arguing", then you argue.

Pick one.

No bro.  You argue.  I just post what I know and experienced. Take it, ignore it, it’s up to you. But I’m not trying to win an argument on points like you do. Im not even interested in playing.  

I’m wrong often enough, and don’t care to be the cleverest man in the room. Most everyone else here is mainly interested in comics, and quite often their values. Hardly anyone gets into long back and forth tit for tat gotcha fests for days like you always do. Clearly you like it so carry on. Just know as if you don’t already that it’s exhausting to the rest of us, cause very few like your game or it’s rules. 

I think the Boards should set up a section just for arguing with you. Like the ask Bob and Gator threads.  That might be fun. I think you’d enjoy it a lot.

56 minutes ago, Aman619 said:

No bro.  You argue.  I just post what I know and experienced. Take it, ignore it, it’s up to you. But I’m not trying to win an argument on points like you do. Im not even interested in playing.  

I’m wrong often enough, and don’t care to be the cleverest man in the room. Most everyone else here is mainly interested in comics, and quite often their values. Hardly anyone gets into long back and forth tit for tat gotcha fests for days like you always do. Clearly you like it so carry on. Just know as if you don’t already that it’s exhausting to the rest of us, cause very few like your game or it’s rules. 

I think the Boards should set up a section just for arguing with you. Like the ask Bob and Gator threads.  That might be fun. I think you’d enjoy it a lot.

"I'm not arguing. You are."

:eyeroll:

If you don't like the way someone posts, you have a few options: 1. ignore them; 2. report them to moderation, then ignore them. 

What you DON'T have the right to do is play board police and imagine you speak for "the rest of us." How someone else posts, what someone else posts, how often someone else posts is none of your business. There's a report button for a reason. There are people I don't like. I don't sit and complain about them. I ignore them. Problem solved.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

3 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

All you've done is say "some collectors agree with me" and "other people who were there have said what I'm saying" and "so and so who collected then says the same thing"...that's not "oral testimony."

It's hearsay.

And if it's hearsay, then it's not "testimonial evidence." And if those people can't be impeached, that hearsay has little to no value.

Hearsay is often admissible, and it's almost always testimonial evidence.   But, the hearsay rule only applies to legal disputes, not social science (e.g. history) debates.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 8/17/2018 at 10:06 AM, valiantman said:

Here's the short, short version:

Always buy whatever comics you like, but if you want to invest... ask an 8-year-old and an 88-year-old who a comic book character is.  If they BOTH know... then there will soon be a time that the first appearance will be unaffordable, even if the CGC Census currently appears to be "overflowing".  Invest in the ones you can still afford.

Fun rule...

10 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Care to clarify?  I now know you are not an attorney.

lol

You win. I surrender. I can't take on multiple people who openly complain about people arguing, can't resist continuing the argument themselves, and fail to see the incredible irony therein.

:whee:

5 minutes ago, HouseofComics.Com said:
On 8/17/2018 at 10:06 AM, valiantman said:

Here's the short, short version:

Always buy whatever comics you like, but if you want to invest... ask an 8-year-old and an 88-year-old who a comic book character is.  If they BOTH know... then there will soon be a time that the first appearance will be unaffordable, even if the CGC Census currently appears to be "overflowing".  Invest in the ones you can still afford.

Fun rule...

:hi:

13 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

lol

You win. I surrender. I can't take on multiple people who openly complain about people arguing, can't resist continuing the argument themselves, and fail to see the incredible irony therein.

:whee:

I think I've fully admitted our respective flaws in being overly argumentative to the point of killing this thread.  I also think I've admitted my sin of overly enjoying argument.  The difference between us is that when I see a superior argument I tend to admit it.

4 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

I think I've fully admitted our respective flaws in being overly argumentative to the point of killing this thread.  I also think I've admitted my sin of overly enjoying argument.  The difference between us is that when I see a superior argument I tend to admit it.

lol

:popcorn:

4 minutes ago, marmat said:

You just proved him right. 

Really...? Posting lol and :popcorn: proves that when he sees a superior argument he tends to admit it...?

Interesting theory. But continuing to :baiting:doesn't make anyone's case.

Either you accept "arguing", and everything that goes with it...or you don't. You don't get to complain about it, and then continue to engage in it yourself. Pick one or the other. But you cannot have your cake and eat it too. 

5 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Either you accept "arguing", and everything that goes with it...or you don't. You don't get to complain about it, and then continue to engage in it yourself. 

Exactly, but apparently that does not apply to you.  

Accepting everything that goes with it means that sometimes the people arguing with you is right, but you rarely accept that, if ever.  What you do most of the time is answering with a wall of text recycling your same arguments over and over. 

That said, I am out :hi: