• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Fantastic Four #1
4 4

100 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Cringe Worthy!...Wonder what Joe Sinnott & John Byrne think about this? And Jack Kirby...ugghh :facepalm:

Let Byrne rant to himself about it, like the nasty, crazy old man he is. 

20 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

I’ve seen much worse in modern Marvel comics. From a contemporary perspective, the art isn’t that bad. I’ve clearly become a little bit desensitised by exposure.

As an FF fan, I wouldn’t buy it though, as the team has had much better artists, such as Kirby, Perez, Byrne, (Arthur) Adams, Wieringo, Davis and Hitch.

20 hours ago, Chiefs1313 said:

I’m amazed at the art in most marvel books, either it’s drawn really poorly and/or drawn like anime. 

There's a reason for it.

What is the target demographic? Who is going to be spending the most money at the movies?

I'm guessing it's teenagers, who have the most (relative) disposable income and time. So it looks like they gear their stories toward that crowd.

By the same token, as much as I love SA Marvels, and as much as we have a sentimental attachment to Kirby, Ditko, etc. my kids laugh at the art. It's archaic to them.

Personally, I don't think the art is so bad in the FF book. Not my style but not horrible.

If I handed in a project in school with art like that I'd probably get a terrific grade.

What is horrible is how old things fade and when they try to reinvent them most of us old timers don't like it, but that's life.

3 hours ago, VintageComics said:

By the same token, as much as I love SA Marvels, and as much as we have a sentimental attachment to Kirby, Ditko, etc. my kids laugh at the art. It's archaic to them.

The difference between this modern, homogeneous post-animé rubbish and Kirby and Ditko's work is that Kirby and Ditko were, among many other things, highly individual stylists...idiosyncratic visionaries who had something to say artistically.

Most contemporary mainstream hero stuff looks the same to me, and is boring as hell -- I can't tell one artist from another.  It's almost as if the publishers are afraid of giving a book to someone who might have a unique point of view.

It may be "modern" and pass muster with the teenie-bopper crowd, but that sure as hell doesn't make it any good.

And so we get what we get...insipidity disguised as "the latest thing".  But I guess people are buying this cr@p, so who cares what I think...

Edited by jools&jim

19 minutes ago, jools&jim said:

The difference between this modern, homogeneous post-animé rubbish and Kirby and Ditko's work is that Kirby and Ditko were, among many other things, highly individual stylists...idiosyncratic visionaries who had something to say artistically.

Most contemporary mainstream hero stuff looks the same to me, and is boring as hell -- I can't tell one artist from another.  It's almost as if the publishers are afraid of giving a book to someone who might have a unique point of view.

This is true.  As much as I bang on JR JR art style, at least I know it's him when I see it.  Not my cup of tea, but at least he is not like the nameless rabble that you can't tell apart. 

I dunno. I kind of like it. I'm not going to buy it, but times change, and so does art. I like this a lot more than the art of the mid-90s, that's for sure.

And Kirby would not be rolling around in his grave. He was a great supporter of comic artists and their styles. He had his own distinct style, sure, but he certainly didn't think that everyone had to draw like him or draw the characters he helped create the same way.

2 hours ago, jools&jim said:

It may be "modern" and pass muster with the teenie-bopper crowd, but that sure as hell doesn't make it any good.

And so we get what we get...insipidity disguised as "the latest thing".  But I guess people are buying this cr@p, so who cares what I think...

People aren’t ‘buying this ’ though.   Sales are off.   Somewhere, in the last 10-20 years, the essence of storytelling has gotten lost.   Even the most lamentable of artists from the Bronze Age, like the afore mentioned Frank Robbins, understood using backgrounds, panel sequencing, and pacing to tell a story.   This seems to have been lost in this era of muddy, stylistic artwork.

2 hours ago, 500Club said:

People aren’t ‘buying this ’ though.   Sales are off.   Somewhere, in the last 10-20 years, the essence of storytelling has gotten lost.   Even the most lamentable of artists from the Bronze Age, like the afore mentioned Frank Robbins, understood using backgrounds, panel sequencing, and pacing to tell a story.   This seems to have been lost in this era of muddy, stylistic artwork.

I know most people here don't actually read comics, but there's plenty of good artists out there. The problem is there are too many books compared to the old Silver age days. Plenty of people think Kirby & Ditko sucked. Ask any younger reader to read an early Silver age book by either of them & they will laugh and tell you the art is terrible. It's like music. The Woodstock generation probably isn't listening to any modern hip-hop . You just have to dig a little harder to find what you like.  

34 minutes ago, Not A Clone said:

I know most people here don't actually read comics, but there's plenty of good artists out there. The problem is there are too many books compared to the old Silver age days. Plenty of people think Kirby & Ditko sucked. Ask any younger reader to read an early Silver age book by either of them & they will laugh and tell you the art is terrible. It's like music. The Woodstock generation probably isn't listening to any modern hip-hop . You just have to dig a little harder to find what you like.  

the art seems so flat to me-- Kirby would draw as if it were in 3D and with incredible detail. The lack of dialogue or narration is also strange and sort of off putting - as if they just wanted to draw some pictures and throw in the occasional one liner. No thought bubbles... no editors notes... I realize those things might be campy to some but they add to the story telling. I can see how many talk about being able to read a comic in 5 minutes these days-- it is all visual. So if the art is just so-so, the book has nothing else to offer it seems.

It could be an age thing. I just remember reading comics and getting engrossed in the action and story.

13 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

the art seems so flat to me-- Kirby would draw as if it were in 3D and with incredible detail. The lack of dialogue or narration is also strange and sort of off putting - as if they just wanted to draw some pictures and throw in the occasional one liner. No thought bubbles... no editors notes... I realize those things might be campy to some but they add to the story telling. I can see how many talk about being able to read a comic in 5 minutes these days-- it is all visual. So if the art is just so-so, the book has nothing else to offer it seems.

It could be an age thing. I just remember reading comics and getting engrossed in the action and story.

Kirby's early stuff at Marvel is great. After he left the first time, it went downhill. I agree on the lack of text in a lot of books. I've noticed in the latest wave of Marvel, that writing actual words on paper seems to be making a comeback. (Maybe they get paid by the word now lol) Check out anything Donny Cates is doing. I would especially nudge anyone to read the first 4 issues of his new Venom run. Great writing from Cates & outstanding art from Stegman. Definitely not one of those 5 minute readers. Spencer's ASM run is using a lot of storytelling dialog direct from Peter to the reader. Almost forgot what that was like. He even has Pete back with M.J. I think C.B. Cebulski is slowly steering the Marvel ship back in the right direction. They screwed so much up right after Secret Wars in 2015 that it will take awhile to right all of those bad decisions. 

9 hours ago, VintageComics said:

What is horrible is how old things fade and when they try to reinvent them most of us old timers don't like it, but that's life

Nope. I wouldn’t say that’s at all applicable to me.  I’m still reading some modern comics; Marvel, DC, Image, and so, clearly, some of the artwork and storylines still manage to appeal.    Yes, maybe fewer than during my 80s peak, and in digital form, but it’s far from a lost cause.

The artists and writers working during the previous Ages varied considerably in aptitude as well: the olden days weren’t quite that consistent either.

16 minutes ago, Not A Clone said:

Check out anything Donny Cates is doing. I would especially nudge anyone to read the first 4 issues of his new Venom run. Great writing from Cates & outstanding art from Stegman.

Cates is clearly very talented, and his Thanos story with Geoff Shaw artwork is excellent, as is the preceding run by Lemire and Deodato.

Ryan Stegman’s pretty good as well.

Edited by Ken Aldred