• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Journey Into Mystery 83 CGC 5.0 Switched label??
2 2

145 posts in this topic

Book deserves its own thread. Very suspect:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-Journey-into-Mystery-CGC-5-0-1st-Appearance-THOR-Jack-Kirby-Stan-Lee-/173431158466?hash=item28614d76c2%3Ag%3AFdsAAOSw70BbWOxP&nma=true&si=U62yaoeFqpZI%2BK5ZqeqA4tEijiU%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

5.0? Really? Which CGC? The one on the moon?

Seller has a negative in his seller feedback for a cracked case on a Daredevil 1 from July.

Journey1.jpg

Journey2.jpg

9 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Book deserves its own thread. Very suspect:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-Journey-into-Mystery-CGC-5-0-1st-Appearance-THOR-Jack-Kirby-Stan-Lee-/173431158466?hash=item28614d76c2%3Ag%3AFdsAAOSw70BbWOxP&nma=true&si=U62yaoeFqpZI%2BK5ZqeqA4tEijiU%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

5.0? Really? Which CGC? The one on the moon?

Seller has a negative in his seller feedback for a cracked case on a Daredevil 1 from July.

Journey1.jpg

Journey2.jpg

Get the grading notes for the book and you should be able to cross reference them to the copy you are looking at

1 hour ago, ThothAmon said:

Think you might be right. Book looks no better than a 3.0. Hopefully CGC keeps an eye out for these listings and protects their own integrity. 

All they really need for this is "Who are you going to use instead, CBCS? PGf'ingX? HAHAHAHAHA!!!"

Edited by mackenzie999

Think you might be right. Book looks no better than a 3.0.

Could be a simple clerical mistake: typing up label as a 5.0 after misreading 3.0 on overtime. CGC has made mistakes in the past due to volume.

16 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

Could be a simple clerical mistake: typing up label as a 5.0 after misreading 3.0 on overtime. CGC has made mistakes in the past due to volume.

I would hope that wasn't the case with a high profile book like this. This likely went through the system as either an Express or a Walkthrough...

Edited by The Lions Den
Edited response

Think you might be right. Book looks no better than a 3.0. Hopefully CGC keeps an eye out for these listings and protects their own integrity. 

Even if CGC knows about it, there is nothing they can do. I once alerted CGC to a situation where a book I once owned was manipulated to cover up a tear. CGC gave the manipulated book a 9.8, key Bronze book. CGC responded, and acknolwedged, they probably got fooled.  However, they said once the book is out of their hands, it's a done deal.

I can tell by the cert number that this JIM 83 '5.0' was graded during the 2011 timeframe, a ridiculously soft CGC period.  I've seen some real clunkers coming from this period. While I would hope this is an error situation, I'm not convinced. 

Edited by Bomber-Bob

4 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Even if CGC knows about it, there is nothing they can do. I once alerted CGC to a situation where a book I once owned was manipulated to cover up a tear. CGC gave the manipulated book a 9.8, key Bronze book. CGC responded, and acknolwedged, they probably got fooled.  However, they said once the book is out of their hands, it's a done deal.

From what I understand, if the buyer thinks the holder may have been tampered with, he could send the book back to CGC for evaluation. If the buyer cracks the book out, there's nothing CGC can do...:sorry:

4 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

hm

I concur with your comment that the book should have been submitted Express or Walkthru. One would think a 5.0 in these Tiers would require notes ? However, since this was years ago with lower valuation and the submitter probably expected a 3.0, it may have been submitted in a Standard tier. (shrug) 

Edited by Bomber-Bob

1 minute ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I concur with your comment that the book should have been submitted Express or Walkthru. One would think a 5.0 in these Tiers would require notes ? However, since this was years ago with lower valuation and the submitter probably expected a 3.0, it may have been submitted in a Standard tier. (shrug) 

Good point, Bob. I've seen some pretty expensive books get submitted through the Standard or Economy tier...

If you look at this 5.0, there are no missing pieces, no writing, no obvious stains other than the tape residue on the BC. Also, at the time of grading, it was probably freshly pressed and flat, flat, flat. CGC loves flat. IN 2011, this may have met the criteria for a 5.0 .(shrug)

3 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I can tell by the cert number that this JIM 83 '5.0' was graded during the 2011 timeframe, a ridiculously soft CGC period.  I've seen some real clunkers coming from this period. While I would hope this is an error situation, I'm not convinced. 

Bob, he's doing the same with many. I'll detail it below

3 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

No notes availabe !

Very curious why there wouldn't be notes available for this book??  The grader's notes could confirm whether this book was switched out by a slick con artist or mislabeled by CGC.  Seller is from Eugene, Oregon :popcorn:

Edited by mosconi

Here we go:

Tomb of Dracula CGC 9.4, sold 8/3/18:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tomb-of-Dracula-CGC-9-4-1st-Appearance-Blade-the-Vampire-Slayer-/173433499797?hash=item2861713095%3Ag%3AFxMAAOSwWJZbWl98&nma=true&si=U62yaoeFqpZI%2BK5ZqeqA4tEijiU%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

He's cracking the slabs open at the top and switching labels.

Look at the spine on this book! And the dust shadow along the top back cover.

Allowable flaws in 9.4 on a Bronze age book?

Fraud.

Just like the JIM 83 CGC 5.0.

CGC please take note.

Tomb1.jpg

Tomb2.jpg

Tomb3.jpg

Tomb4.jpg

Iron Fist #14 CGC 9.4, but no case!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Iron-Fist-14-CGC-9-4-no-case-1st-Appearance-Sabretooth-/173433503029?hash=item2861713d35%3Ag%3APfcAAOSwnr9bWmC7&nma=true&si=U62yaoeFqpZI%2BK5ZqeqA4tEijiU%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Look at the top edge. 7.5 at best.

Another fraud.

Never have I seen a seller with so many cracked cases (all at the top) and raw books being sold with the wrong accompanying CGC label

CGC Please take note.

He's using CGC labels with raw books and switching labels in cracked CGC slabs.

There's a lot more. As soon as I have the time to post them.

Simple though. Just search BargainHuntersStore complete listings and you'll see many more instances.

IF14.jpg