• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Journey Into Mystery 83 CGC 5.0 Switched label??
2 2

145 posts in this topic

Make this easy for CGC if they feel they wish to drop a dime on a dirt-bag using their labels to defraud buyers and attempt to undermine their product, you're welcome:

Oregon attorney general:

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=5_GOW4GxLoeRggeXhYqwAw&q=oregon+attorney+general&oq=Oregon+attonrey+general&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0i13l10.2585.6616..8324...0.0..0.157.1410.22j1......0....1..gws-wiz.......0j0i131j0i10.lTVIHvNYuiE

22 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Great detective work. Wow. 

JollyComics gets the credit for this discovery. He posted the JIM CGC 5.0 in the PGX 5,5!!!!!!!!!!!!! thread. Without him doing so and calling my attention to it, I wouldn't have noticed before taking a closer look. Seller sure does seem to have a large inventory of PGX graded books, and ironically, all problem free, as I've seen so far. No cracks in the cases, no desabbed wells and books with loose labels, no issues a'tall.  Oregon, huh? All the PGX slabs are fine and the only ones with issues are the CGC slabs? What luck, huh?   hm

Edited by James J Johnson

16 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Seller has a negative in his seller feedback for a cracked case on a Daredevil 1 from July.

The feedback states, "returned Daredevil 1 with cracked case - still waiting for refund-echeck bounced"

Seller's response:  "We are Top Rated because we provide the very best svc. Working with buyer now."  hm

8 minutes ago, zosocane said:

The feedback states, "returned Daredevil 1 with cracked case - still waiting for refund-echeck bounced"

Seller's response:  "We are Top Rated because we provide the very best svc. Working with buyer now."  hm

It appears that his CGC graded books are restless and return to him to sell again and again.  :gossip: 

However, there's no such flim flam boomerang with his PGX graded books. The first time sale of each one of them is enough for it to sell and the sale to stick.  hm 

Problem is that if you're going to switch labels, putting cracks and fissures in the case in doing so, you better hope your buyer is blind or has more money than brains, or you'll be getting your boomerang right back at'cha.

4 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

It appears that his CGC graded books are restless and return to him to sell again and again.  :gossip: 

However, there's no such flim flam boomerang with his PGX graded books. The first time sale of each one of them is enough for it to sell and the sale to stick.  hm 

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if Danny P. is somehow connected with "bargainhuntersstore" meh

9 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Iron Fist #14 CGC 9.4, but no case!

He's using CGC labels with raw books...

These are probably the ones he tried to switch out the labels on, but messed up the case too badly while attempting it. 

So, he's forced to sell them raw with the loose label included.

1 hour ago, Domo Arigato said:

These are probably the ones he tried to switch out the labels on, but messed up the case too badly while attempting it. 

So, he's forced to sell them raw with the loose label included.

Yes. Some of his still slabbed CGC sold listings show scratches/stress cracks on the upper side area of the cases, on each side of the edge's seam. He included pictures of them.

19 hours ago, mosconi said:

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if Danny P. is somehow connected with "bargainhuntersstore" meh

My belief is that if Danny P. were involved, he'd just reslab the books he's switched labels with in PGX holders with whatever the hell grade he wants on them, like anything else he grades, when he cracks a CGC case too badly to re-use.

Because of the practicality of doing that rather than sending books out whose conditions don't match the labels, with cracked cases and obvious switched labels, I don't believe this is a Danny P. operation, though the proximity is close and it would seem so.

This isn't the case of a grand schemer with a label machine at his disposal, IMO. This is just a much lower-level scammer in general.. And a fairly careless and inept one.

On 9/4/2018 at 12:53 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

I can tell by the cert number that this JIM 83 '5.0' was graded during the 2011 timeframe, a ridiculously soft CGC period.  I've seen some real clunkers coming from this period. While I would hope this is an error situation, I'm not convinced. 

First, the book was graded in 2012.

2nd, there is no amount of crack that would allow a grader to call that book a 5.0, even in the loosest period.

It's obviously a swapped out book.

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

there is no amount of crack that would allow a grader to call that book a 5.0, even in the loosest period.

I agree. LSD, shrooms, or other hallucinogenics, maybe even just 5 or 6 days of sleep depravation, would be needed for a CGC grader to call that a 5.0.

14 hours ago, VintageComics said:

First, the book was graded in 2012.

2nd, there is no amount of crack that would allow a grader to call that book a 5.0, even in the loosest period.

It's obviously a swapped out book.

Okay, I said it was graded in the 2011 timeframe. It was actually graded in February 2012. So you are calling me out on this ?  To my knowledge, timeframe is a loose reference. We both know there is no way to specify an exact date range for something like this. Also, I made my statements before James Johnson provided evidence of tampering. Afterward, I agree it was probably tampered with. As you've done before with me, you pick out something I said early in the conversation to criticize late in the conversation. 

Edited by Bomber-Bob

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 11:12 PM, James J Johnson said:

I agree. LSD, shrooms, or other hallucinogenics, maybe even just 5 or 6 days of sleep depravation, would be needed for a CGC grader to call that a 5.0.

Hi JJ. Nice detective work here. I found some other interesting things out about this seller. This is his third user ID since 2009. Each user ID has about a 3 year lifespan, so he's likely due to change it again pretty soon. He lists many of his books now with a Buy It Now or Best Offer; the ones he lists that you can bid on are all private listings. hm hm hm