• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Keeping your collection private
4 4

204 posts in this topic

I’ve got a small collection with half of it on CAF.  Fresh to the market doesn’t matter to me. I don’t see the “cool” factor of something being available for the first time. It’s used car sales talk to me. As far as privacy, my name is not on my gallery at CAF so I have no privacy concerns. 

Edited by Oddball

2 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

I have posted anything “new” in my CAF gallery for quite some time. I think people are choosing other venues, like Facebook, to do that more than previously. 

Why do people choose Facebook as opposed to a centralized website designed for hobbyists?  I suppose if you have really idiosyncratic tastes it is one thing, but if you have art that is universally admired, and you wanted to share it with other collectors, why would you not want to post it on CAF (if you have a thing for Penguin sketches, then Facebook seems appropriate, but Ditko ASM pages belong on CAF vs. FB, or so my thinking goes).  Is this the dynamic that is happening (I am one of the few people that am not on Facebook, so I don't follow what goes on there)?

I have posted anything “new” in my CAF gallery for quite some time. I think people are choosing other venues, like Facebook, to do that more than previously. 

I have my favorite stuff on CAF, and almost all my collection on Instagram.  I find IG a lot more fun and interactive of a medium for comic art these days.  Specifically because it's not all OA collectors.

2 hours ago, inovrmihd said:

Why do people choose Facebook as opposed to a centralized website designed for hobbyists?  I suppose if you have really idiosyncratic tastes it is one thing, but if you have art that is universally admired, and you wanted to share it with other collectors, why would you not want to post it on CAF (if you have a thing for Penguin sketches, then Facebook seems appropriate, but Ditko ASM pages belong on CAF vs. FB, or so my thinking goes).  Is this the dynamic that is happening (I am one of the few people that am not on Facebook, so I don't follow what goes on there)?

Because it gets more instant feedback from fellow collectors. CAF is kind of a good old boys network in that the people who have been around for a while get feedback whereas latecomers and ham and egged barely get noticed. 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

6 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Because it gets more instant feedback from fellow collectors. CAF is kind of a gold old boys network in that the people who gave been around for a while get feedback whereas latecomers and ham and egged barely get noticed. 

So can anyone suggest some facebook links for comic art? Possible groups?

Because it gets more instant feedback from fellow collectors. CAF is kind of a good old boys network in that the people who have been around for a while get feedback whereas latecomers and ham and egged barely get noticed. 

I noticed the same on CAF. I posted a piece to crickets. I then sell the piece and the new owner posts it to multiple positive comments. Not a huge deal, but definitely a head scratcher. I don't follow users and just search by artist or title to see what is new. Perhaps I am using the site wrong. 

1 hour ago, cstojano said:

I noticed the same on CAF. I posted a piece to crickets. I then sell the piece and the new owner posts it to multiple positive comments. Not a huge deal, but definitely a head scratcher. I don't follow users and just search by artist or title to see what is new. Perhaps I am using the site wrong. 

Many people fish for comments too. They’ll share a piece all over social media inviting comments.

I don't have much of a collection but I have cut way back on what I display.  The main reason is I get three kinds of inquires

1.  "Hey, I really like piece A and since you have a couple of examples of the same thing you should really sell it to me, it not a really nice piece even"

2.  "Hey, how much would you take for piece A?"  "It's not for sell but I am always open to offers" "How does xx sound?"  where xx is about 1/3 to 1/10 what I paid.

3. "I love piece A, it has been a grail of mine forever please make me complete by selling it to me". I finally sell only to see it list for sell a few weeks later.

8 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Do you mean posting on their own facebook page or in a collectors group?

3 hours ago, cstojano said:

I've seen the same thing but it could also be when the piece is posted.  There is so much homemade art being posted at times, it's hard to find the good professional published art.  I wish there was a sorting feature so we could just see the newly posted art without the homemade stuff.  

18 hours ago, Peter L said:

I have been asking this question to every collector and dealer I speak to.  This is my opinion as of now.

I am not as experienced a collector as many of you.  However I don't necessarily agree with the "fresh to market" thing on better pieces.  For example, if David Mandel decides to put up one of his posted pieces for auction like the Daredevil 181 or any number of his great pieces, it's still going for a lot with no shortage of bidders.  I'm glad he has posted his collection and has shared them with the museum in Seattle.  He owns a piece that I would like to have so I know that I don't have to waste my time looking for it.   From his point of view, perhaps if he got a really high offer for it he would sell it.   So there is some advantage of sharing it.  

I didn't think I would ever sell any of my art but I am changing my mind as my tastes change.  I'm not in a hurry to sell anything but if a good offer came up I would sell.  Sharing my collection would make this possible.

I've bought a few items that I really wanted from previous posters who removed their art, but I remembered who owned them and I wrote to them years later.  They had no plans to sell but I made them good offers.  Maybe it's possible they would have had even better offers if the pieces were public.  

I've seen the joking on the message boards on how something might sell at a Heritage Auction and then a dealer will buy it and flip it for more pretty quickly.  So it is not fresh to market after it sold at Heritage, but the price goes up a short time later in the hands of a dealer.  

If there is a random average piece, like the cover to Action Comics 672 (I have no idea what that is, I picked it at random but am a fan), and it is floating around to be sold by a dealer for years, I don't think its not selling just because it's around, but because there wasn't that great demand as it is.  

Also I think like many people, there is added joy when others can share in the same joy and see the amazing things that we see.  

I went to a fancy charity lunch recently.  I met a really rich guy and his wife.  He collects Old Masters paintings.  He travels to the big auction in New York and London every year, and he hangs out with the other collectors that he has gotten to know in each city.  It really changed my opinion about collecting art and sharing with others and finding community of people who enjoy the same things that you do.

"Fresh to market" always makes a difference. Selling comic art for 42 years, I think I'm in a better position than most to make this statement.

Collections like David Mandel's are always going to sell high. But nothing in David's collection would be considered "fresh to market".

"Fresh to market" only pertains to art that has not been on the market for at least 20 years.

MI

I post it all and share it on comicart-l, here, and a few Facebook pages.

I enjoy the sharing and explaining why I bought the piece. I also enjoy the feedback - not there's much.

Offers: I've had maybe 2 since I started my CAF. I guess that my tastes aren't popular. :)

Selling:

• I've sold two pieces total (a Carol Day strip and a Giordano GA headshot) in 13 years.
  • Most of my collection is commissions/sketch and though I have a detailed list of what I've paid, I've told my family they'd be lucky to get 30% on most of it.

Privacy: My names on my CAF and it's not too hard to determine from my handle here. To date, it hasn't been a problem; I hope it stays that way.

10 minutes ago, AnkurJ said:

We all get offers. Just politely decline or say not looking to sell. Not sure why this would prevent you from posting your collection. 

I find more often than not the request are not very polite plus what is in it for me to post my art?  Am I buying it for me or so I can get comments and views on ComicArtFan?  

31 minutes ago, artdealer said:

"Fresh to market" only pertains to art that has not been on the market for at least 20 years. 

"has not been on the market for at least 20 years"

Does that mean the same thing as "has not been seen for at least 20 years" ??

2 hours ago, AnkurJ said:

Many people fish for comments too. They’ll share a piece all over social media inviting comments.

I had a guy who would consistently CAF message me (and others) when a new piece was posted to randomly compliment one of our pieces, fishing for return comments. That was one of numerous avenues in what seemed like a desperate need for affirmation on, what is in my opinion, unwise purchases. 

I do like comments, and I do like serious purchase inquiries even if I’m not selling. It’s nice to know should the need arise and I consider it a compliment that someone would like the piece so much as to want to buy it. 

7 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

For all it's worth, a dealer "deals." That is, he/she wants to make money. I would be reluctant to consider any proposed swap by a dealer because I would assume they were suggesting something more advantegous to their needs than my own, and including an allowance for profit. I would also expect them to have more knowledge than I do about actual market conditions. Can there be exceptions? Sure, but they would be the exceptions, not the rule. 

I would be careful to assume that you're more protected when dealing with a collector. There are plenty of "collectors" who will mimic (or attempt to mimic) the worst behavior of dealers when it comes time to sell/trade.

As for posting on CAF, as I've said over the years, because I do enjoy the site so much via updates from other collectors, I feel I have an obligation to share. Do I post everything? No. But it's a representative sample of my collection. Some of which may seem quite redundant if I posted it all.

Edited by Nexus

28 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I find more often than not the request are not very polite plus what is in it for me to post my art?  Am I buying it for me or so I can get comments and views on ComicArtFan?  

Sorry to hear that! There is no excuse for abrasive behavior. There are of course pros and cons to posting ones art, but I do feel sharing your art is part of the enjoyment of this hobby. Whether it be on CAF, iPhone pics in person, social media etc. One of the most enjoyable parts of attending art cons for me is chatting with other fellow collectors who share their collection and their experiences in obtaining their treasures.