• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Warner Bros. Not Developing ‘Superman’ Movies With Henry Cavill As Priority Shifts To ‘Supergirl’
1 1

87 posts in this topic

Very interesting quote here.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/henry-cavill-as-superman-warner-bros-dc-universe-shake-up-1142306

Furthermore, Warners isn't likely to make a solo Superman film for at least several years, according to another source. "Superman is like James Bond, and after a certain run you have to look at new actors," says a studio source. As such, Cavill will join Ben Affleck, who isn't expected to reprise his role for director Matt Reeves' forthcoming Batman stand-alone film, as a hero on the way out.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

13 hours ago, drotto said:

The report a few month ago was that Cavill wanted A lister ( meaning about 20 million per film) money for a new Superman contract, and WB does not think he warrants that kind of money.  It was also reported his agent insist on presenting, and representing him as A lister talent, again rubbing WB the wrong way.  From a demand standpoint and box office track record they are likely correct.  

This is all new to me, if true. The guy has played Superman, the A-lister of all A-list comic characters, for 3 movies. And he's played him well. If WB doesn't see the value in that... Well, it's obvious to me that they're on crack anyways.

6 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

I actually liked Justice League better than the other two MOS movies because, at the end of the film, Cavil finally becomes the traditional Superman. And I would love to see him in one more movie showcasing him as the Superman we all know and love. Instead we're getting more movies with half baked ideas and stupid social experiments.

DC/Warner hasn't learned a thing.

This was the entire point of Zack Snyder's Superman trilogy. People don't relate to Superman because he's, well, Superman. He wanted to ground Kent's origins with reality. Man of Steel was never meant to be "the Superman we know". We knew Superman for 75 years to be what he is. Snyder wanted to tell an origin story and show fans how he became the Superman that we know. IMO it was brilliant. Man of Steel showed him exploring his powers and strength. Gave us a reason why he doesn't want to kill rather than "I have one rule with no good reason" (killing the last of his species). BvS was his struggle with the perception of mankind. Learning to deal with the fact that, no matter how just and righteous his actions are, there will always be another side to the coin that he has to ignore if he wants to be a savior. Zack always expressed that this Superman wouldn't be his perfect self until resurrection.

People give Synder flak for BvS - a movie he didn't write, but he did write Wonder Woman, which many see as a great story film... Snyder also wrote Justice League (that Whedon botched). Warner Bros is simply flushing the wrong pieces down the toilet. Snyder, Superman, and Batman are the best parts of DC Worlds. I have no hope for the rest of this cinematic universe now.

5 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

What are you talking about? 

Apr 2018 - Avengers Infinity War - (Led by Cap, Doc Strange, Iron Man and Spidey. All white guys.)

May 2018 - Deadpool (White Guy)

July 2018 - Ant-Man and the Wasp (Lead is a White Guy)

Oct 2018 - Venom (White Guy)

Dec 2018 - Aquaman (White-ish Guy)

Jan 2019 - Hellboy (played by a White Guy)

Jan 2019 - Glass (Bruce Willis is the hero - White Guy)

Feb 2019 - Dark Phoenix (She's a female - with a primarily male X-Men team, made up of lots of white guys)

Mar 2019 - Captain Marvel (A Female in the lead role! The Apocalypse is finally here!)

Apr 2019 - Shazam! (White Guy)

May 2019 - Avengers Infinity Part 2 (Led by Cap, Doc Strange, Iron Man and Spidey - all white guys. Oh, and now Captain Marvel joins in!)

2019 - Spider-man (White Guy)

Aug 2019 - New Mutants - (2 white guys - 2 white gals - how unfair!)

Nov 2019 - Wonder Woman (TWO female leads in one year??? Need a shot of testosterone?)

That's HARDLY 'no more movie characters can be white men anymore'. Nowhere NEAR 'where we're at'.

this is the back of a new comic i got for my son. as you can see, amongst the ladies there's as many dudes as dogs (1). this is clearly the plan going forward, plenty of discussion here on boards about how marvel has already changed the origin stories of most SA heroes to include more diversity. i support diversity. i'm just noting that in the future as the movie studios target the same kids these comics are targeting, we are not likely to see white males very much anymore and perhaps that's a good thing. after all it does not matter what color superman's skin is, he's still superman. and as everyone knows, all bad stuff on earth is perpetrated by white dudes. (last sentence was sarcastic, but not the rest, for the tone deaf.)

IMG_2852.JPG

I really like Cavill in the role so I hope they work it out and we get a MOS2 - once again, I think MOS is the best DCEU movie (although WW was pretty great!)

I also think if they recast that Michael B. Jordan would be a good pick tbh, he is a good actor, is jacked (like Superman should be) and maybe the DCEU can sell their reset as a different Earth version (and at the same time recast Batman).  Although, I would be worried about them trying to pull off a different Earth storyline ......

10 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

no more movie characters can be white men anymore. don't know how long that will last but that seems to be where we're at now. it's all about gender and ethnic diversity. perhaps queen latifah can be the next super-non-gender-normative-person. 

You said (your quote is nested above) "no more movie characters can be white men anymore". 

That's not true, there are plenty. As shown above.

You said (your quote is nested above) "It's all about gender and ethnic diversity". Clearly, it's NOT all about that as the list shown is still 90+% white dudes as the heroes in those movies.

There's more diversity in what they're trying to bring to the audience, but there's no shortage of white male heroes in comics or movies.

50 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

this is the back of a new comic i got for my son. as you can see, amongst the ladies there's as many dudes as dogs (1).

Ok. In the same month you can find....

Sandman

3 Superman comics

2 Spider-man comics

Ant-Man

Aquaman

8.5 Batman comics

Cable

Captain America

Daredevil

Deadman

Deadpool

Deathstroke

Doctor Strange

Flash

Green Arrow

3 Green Lantern comics

I couldn't even go through the whole list.... there are a TON of white guy hero comics.

this is clearly the plan going forward

To make a more diverse selection of heroes? Sure. Why not? But they aren't getting rid of any white male heroes. Plenty will always be available.

, plenty of discussion here on boards

That's clearly no proof of anything.

about how marvel has already changed the origin stories of most SA heroes to include more diversity.

Marvel and DC have altered the origin stories of their characters to shoehorn new ideas into the mix for 50 years. Nothing new.

i support diversity. i'm just noting that in the future as the movie studios target the same kids these comics are targeting,

Kids don't read comics or buy movie tickets, their parents do. If they have a diverse selection of comics to read, maybe they WILL buy more.

we are not likely to see white males very much anymore

That's just NOT true, and there's nothing to support this theory. If you're a publisher and you have 15 comics featuring white male heroes and you ADD 15 comics featuring 15 NON white male superheroes, you STILL have 15 comics featuring white male heroes.

and perhaps that's a good thing.

I don't agree. There will always be Peter Parker, Bruce Banner, Clark Kent, Bruce Wayne, Tony Stark, Matt Murdock, etc., etc.

after all it does not matter what color superman's skin is, he's still superman. and as everyone knows, all bad stuff on earth is perpetrated by white dudes. (last sentence was sarcastic, but not the rest, for the tone deaf.)

Or... just create a powerful superhero that happens to be a different color...

Who've they actually altered in the Super hero world that is a permanent change?

22 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

AFAIK, Cavill doesn't want out. Warner Bros is making the decision to part ways. Why? I have no Frkin idea. Kevin Feige and Marvel Studios wins. After 10 years, I think DC is now dead in the water (to me, at least). They have the best 2 comic properties in Batman and Superman, and they screw it all up by now letting their 2 Justice League actors go.

Edit: And, for the record, I love the Dawn of Justice Director's Cut. I think that Justice League could have been great had Zack Snyder not been fired. Joss Whedon has been on-record as saying that Steppenwolf is "one of the worst comic characters ever". They cut too much back story on the new characters. Blah blah blah. I thought Justice League was still good.

I just had to clarify the bold part. He wasn't fired from JL, his daughter committed suicide and he chose (rightly so!) to take a leave of absence.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/zack-snyder-steps-down-justice-league-deal-family-tragedy-1006455

So WB has most likely lost the 2 main actors from DC's holy trinity. I don't see how they can continue half of the DCEU & reboot the rest. Seems like they should just reboot the whole thing at this point. Marvel did recast Banner & Rhodes, but recasting Superman & Batman doesn't feel right without a complete reboot.

11 minutes ago, Darjis said:

I just had to clarify the bold part. He wasn't fired from JL, his daughter committed suicide and he chose (rightly so!) to take a leave of absence.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/zack-snyder-steps-down-justice-league-deal-family-tragedy-1006455

This is not correct. Warner Bros used this as a way to keep Justice League chatter in a positive light. It came out, long ago, that Snyder was fired from the project. Zack Snyder has not even seen Justice League because of this.

Edit: They also used his daughter's passing scapegoat as a way to get fans to believe that Snyder's vision of direction for the movie would stay in tact, because had he left the project, he would retain all approval and rejection for the movie's material. As the finished project shows us, that was not the case. WB wanted a shorter movie, so that they could show the movie in more slots per theater. What the insufficiently_thoughtful_persons at WB didn't realize is that no matter how short or long the movie is. if it isn't great, people are not going to fill those seats.

Edited by TwoPiece

19 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

This is not correct. Warner Bros used this as a way to keep Justice League chatter in a positive light. It came out, long ago, that Snyder was fired from the project. Zack Snyder has not even seen Justice League because of this.

Edit: They also used his daughter's passing scapegoat as a way to get fans to believe that Snyder's vision of direction for the movie would stay in tact, because had he left the project, he would retain all approval and rejection for the movie's material. As the finished project shows us, that was not the case. WB wanted a shorter movie, so that they could show the movie in more slots per theater. What the insufficiently_thoughtful_persons at WB didn't realize is that no matter how short or long the movie is. if it isn't great, people are not going to fill those seats.

Source? Or just speculation?

13 minutes ago, Darjis said:

Source? Or just speculation?

Here's just the top Google search:

https://www.polygon.com/2018/2/13/17007872/zack-snyder-justice-league-fired

It's not even close to speculation.

Zack Snyder's "rough cut" of Justice League was about 150 mins. It included a Steppenwolf without the humanoid face (which is why his CGI sucked), the Anti-Life Equation, and a Darkseid tease. Snyder's Russian battle was also more black and blue than orange and purple. This color-correction done by Joss Whedon is part of what made Superman's anti-stache bad. The tone of the movie is what all of the CGI is prepared to, so when you change it like this, it ends up with poor graphics.

There was also backstory for The Flash (including his girlfriend) and Cyborg (including pre-integration with both of his parents), more Mrs. Kent and Lois Lane stuff, Black Suit Superman (and a scene where he ditches the black suit for his righteous red and blue), Vulko giving advice to Aquaman, more Mera, etc. Snyder and others behind-the-scene have revealed tons of information regarding the Snyder Cut.

Edit: Joss Whedon is exclusively responsible for the first worthless 30 seconds of the movie with that kid POV phone camera interview. Whedon is also responsible for the parademon's green blood leaving the shape of the 3 Mother Boxes on the building (shoot me)... And just, so, so much more...

Edited by TwoPiece

Just now, TwoPiece said:

Here's just the top Google search:

https://www.polygon.com/2018/2/13/17007872/zack-snyder-justice-league-fired

It's not even close to speculation.

Zack Snyder's "rough cut" of Justice League was about 150 mins. It included a Steppenwolf without the humanoid face (which is why his CGI sucked), the Anti-Life Equation, and a Darkseid tease. Snyder's Russian battle was also more black and blue than orange and purple. This color-correction done by Joss Whedon is part of what made Superman's anti-stache bad. The tone of the movie is what all of the CGI is prepared to, so when you change it like this, it ends up with poor graphics.

There was also backstory for The Flash (including his girlfriend) and Cyborg (including pre-integration with both of his parents), more Mrs. Kent and Lois Lane stuff, Black Suit Superman (and a scene where he ditches the black suit for his righteous red and blue), Vulko giving advice to Aquaman, more Mera, etc. Snyder and others behind-the-scene have revealed tons of information regarding the Snyder Cut.

That sounds WAY better than what was delivered!

2 minutes ago, Darjis said:

That sounds WAY better than what was delivered!

Absolutely! I challenged DC to make a Kickstarter campaign to see just how much people want a Snyder Cut (there was also that Snyder Cut petition). Recently, it's been said that they won't release one because they're using Snyder footage and story in the Cyborg 2020 movie. The DC film universe is such a hole right now.

39 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

So WB has most likely lost the 2 main actors from DC's holy trinity. I don't see how they can continue half of the DCEU & reboot the rest. Seems like they should just reboot the whole thing at this point. Marvel did recast Banner & Rhodes, but recasting Superman & Batman doesn't feel right without a complete reboot.

I don't think they need a full reboot yet, though at some point obviously they need to remonetize Batman and Superman (maybe 10 years from now?).  I think they do have some potentially profitable properties in this iteration, just no potential for a big ensemble super-crossover, a la Infinity War, but I think that's ok.

If I were them, I'd just focus on making good movies, and pass on the interconnecting of movies (though they shouldn't contradict each other).

I'm pretty sure they can squeeze out two more WW.  And they definitely seem to have a plan for a Gotham Sirens, and Supergirl.  Assume at least one of those squeezes out at least 1 sequel.

They've got Aquaman, and probably a Flash, and Shazaam, and out of the three of those properties at least 2 can squeeze out at least one sequel, probably.

At some point, they should mix in Green Lantern (probably to address the Darkseid stuff). 

And then the DCEU phase 2 will focus more on space stuff (Maybe a FUTURE DC Universe with the Legion (starring Supergirl), Lobo (like Deadpool!), Green Lanterns) or something like that.

If they focus more on making good movies instead of forced/rushed world building, it'll all work out better.

BUT - IF THEY DO A FULL REBOOT, THEY SHOULD DO A FULL GOLDEN AGE REBOOT

golden batman, golden superman, golden flash, golden GL, not sure what to do about wonder woman (keep her as is and just ignore the current DCEU?) and just build GOLDEN DC UNIVERSE.  Maybe Catman or Green Arrow or Atom can get in there too.  Then do a Golden Justice League or JUstice Society or whatever.  It'll be different enough from Marvel, but you still capitalize on the big name heroes.  This is probably what they should have done to begin with.