• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Warner Bros. Not Developing ‘Superman’ Movies With Henry Cavill As Priority Shifts To ‘Supergirl’
1 1

87 posts in this topic

The thing is... How do you carry-on a cinematic universe that Batman and Superman have been in, where Steppenwolf is in (in the Snyder Cut he was killed by Darkseid on-screen), and Darkseid's been named in... Without recognizing those characters existed..? Superman has been the focus of the DC Worlds and Batman brought the League together... I don't see how they can pull this off successfully.

4 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

Absolutely! I challenged DC to make a Kickstarter campaign to see just how much people want a Snyder Cut (there was also that Snyder Cut petition). Recently, it's been said that they won't release one because they're using Snyder footage and story in the Cyborg 2020 movie. The DC film universe is such a hole right now.

there's more chance of Henry Cavill as Superman than there is a 2020 Cyborg movie.

Edited by paperheart

10 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

The thing is... How do you carry-on a cinematic universe that Batman and Superman have been in, where Steppenwolf is in (in the Snyder Cut he was killed by Darkseid on-screen), and Darkseid's been named in... Without recognizing those characters existed..? Superman has been the focus of the DC Worlds and Batman brought the League together... I don't see how they can pull this off successfully.

@TwoPiece

my friend. Love your avatar.

They are really going to focus one off solo superhero movies now. They are going to stay far away from DC super hero team up movies like BvS and Justice League. Also even though Aquaman trailer looks good it most likely will be DC lowest performing DCU movie at the box office.

Warner Bros knows the gig is up with the DC Universe movies. So they are now going to focus on solo movies without the big team ups.

I would expect future Wonder Women movies to ignore BvS and Justice League and focus on just being a stand alone series like Nolan/Bale Batman.

Might be a good time to sell Darkseid and Suicide Squad keys as they both don't look to be that important in upcoming DC movies.

Darkseid was going to be the key DC villian in future Justice League movies. Doesn't look like they will be making Justice League movies for years now.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

15 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

this is the back of a new comic i got for my son. as you can see, amongst the ladies there's as many dudes as dogs (1). this is clearly the plan going forward, plenty of discussion here on boards about how marvel has already changed the origin stories of most SA heroes to include more diversity. i support diversity. i'm just noting that in the future as the movie studios target the same kids these comics are targeting, we are not likely to see white males very much anymore and perhaps that's a good thing. after all it does not matter what color superman's skin is, he's still superman. and as everyone knows, all bad stuff on earth is perpetrated by white dudes. (last sentence was sarcastic, but not the rest, for the tone deaf.)

IMG_2852.JPG

Remember this is aimed at a much younger crowd like 12-18, especially females and not a 50 year old plus male. Most males 12-34 play video games now. You will be seeing female comic readers become the majority because of this. That's why the shift. Most young men readers have abandoned comics for video games. That is why an emphasis is on female readers.

Most 50 year olds don't read new comics so the publishers had to find new niche comic book modern readers, Females will become the majority of new modern comics soon.

11 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

@TwoPiece

my friend. Love your avatar.

They are really going to focus one off solo superhero movies now. They are going to stay far away from DC super hero team up movies like BvS and Justice League. Also even though Aquaman trailer looks good it most likely will be DC lowest performing DCU movie at the box office.

Warner Bros knows the gig is up with the DC Universe movies. So they are now going to focus on solo movies without the big team ups.

I would expect future Wonder Women movies to ignore BvS and Justice League and focus on just being a stand alone series like Nolan/Bale Batman.

Might be a good time to sell Darkseid and Suicide Squad keys as they both don't look to be that important in upcoming DC movies.

Darkseid was going to be the key DC villian in future Justice League movies. Doesn't look like they will be making Justice League movies for years now.

Thanks! I can never get enough of The Dark Knight and Heath Ledger's Joker.

I understand the direction WB is trying to move into, but I just personally can't see it working. And that's the thing... They don't seem to have an actual plan. Kevin Feige and Marvel Studios had/have a plan. Zack Snyder had a plan. I know that Disney has some guidelines and restrictions for Marvel films, but they don't interfere in the same manner as WB does.

I was/am a big fan of what Snyder was doing. Man of Steel and the Dawn of Justice Director's Cut are 2 of my Top 10 favorite movies of all-time. I don't want 2 comic book universes that do the same thing. I loved having the more comedy-driven and light side of Marvel and the darker, more serious, side of DC. If WB would have stopped interfering and demanding shorter run times, I think the box office and reviews would show them that Snyder's vision works.

It's difficult to introduce the new Batman, Wonder Woman, Alexander Luthor, Doomsday, etc etc etc. in a 3-hour movie. Let alone 2.5 hours. IIRC, Zack Snyder didn't want the rest of the Justice League cameos in BvS. And then in Justice League, you're introducing Aquaman, The Flash, and Cyborg, and Steppenwolf, and the Mother Boxes, and resurrecting Superman, etc etc etc... In less than 2 hours..? It's bizarre.

One thing I absolutely hated about JL is that there's no Green Lantern. The Lanterns are supposed to protect Earth from invasions specifically like Steppenwolf. I can go on about this forever but it's just beating a dead horse.

Sorry for the long-winded reply lol.

I really liked Man of Steel when it came out, but it has been seriously been tainted the brand with inferior DC (not including Wonder Woman) movies since.

Seriously, I will never see what some fans see in either version of BvS.  It's like you are reviewing "Citizen Kane."

Cavill was a solid Superman, but even he could save the turkeys that would come.

I figure DC/Warner is trying to find a foothold as the funny-book movie trend starts to go downward in popularity ever so slightly with every new movie crowding the multiplexes.

This isn't really news anyway, as some actors in these look rather bored.  In my opinion, Affleck gave up any chance of winning any more gold as a prestigious director when he signed on these movies.  He built up three masterfully-crafted movies, before becoming "The Batman."  I guess he really did take a paycheck.

Agree with most here. How did they screw this up so bad?  They should have offered Nolan a billion to stay with the Dark Knight franchise at least.  They need to scrap all the actors and start over.  Wouldn't it be cool if they just took five years off and then out of the blue, a marketing campaign hits and we get five or six movies in a one year period all connected in better ways than just end credits?  They could film five separate character films simultaneously for better cohesion.  Massive risk but could be quite the pay off.

Warner Brothers let Nolan set a roadmap of the DC Universe 13 years ago in a limited series of Batmen films.  He was a director with a vision.

Zack Snyder came on board with different outlook for these films, almost like he was taking them a step farther in the fantastical, where Nolan wouldn't tread.

He had one solid movie out of the gate, but the subsequent ones became messes because Snyder couldn't pull them off for whatever reasons.

For me, The Dark Knight is the best funny book movie ever made. My top three movies are DC properties even.  But, now, I enjoy the Marvel ones better.

I'm about the quality over quantity.  If they did a couple DC movies every year, that were solid in a three year period, before a team one, it would have worked out far better. My 2c 

These critical  misfires are only hurting other comic studio movies, as the general mainstream just will eventually lump them all together into one genre in the end.

10 hours ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

These critical  misfires are only hurting other comic studio movies, as the general mainstream just will eventually lump them all together into one genre in the end.

You are also setting up a situation that the critics and the general public are starting to say is it a comic movie or is it a Marvel comic movie.  So regardless of the quality of the film people are walking into theaters expecting the Marvel movie to be better and any other comic movie is pale imitation or second tier.

This problem has not just been created by WB, Fox ( other than Deadpool) has contributed to the problem, despite using Marvel properties.

The group mentality ( you may not be part of the group) is becoming its Marvel or its .  Unfortunately others studios have set up this situation, and it is going to take a concerted effort to change it.

Edited by drotto

Personally, I grew up on DC movies (Superman: The Movie, Superman II and III, Batman, Batman Returns and Batman Forever.)  They were iconic to me, when we didn't have anything else.  It's just been an odd series of events, that after The Dark Knight trilogy galvanized the brand, and after a certain bunch of colossal missteps, they would proverbial drop the ball after Man of Steel, like they did.

I'm just glad Wonder Woman worked out as well as it did for them. 

Personally, it's sad to see them, not being able to do anything with their top two heroes (with good actors playing the parts.)

It feels like 1983 again, and every DC movie is going to be like Superman III (decent cast, solid effects, good moments, lousy everything else... direction, writing, and go absolutely nowhere.)

I will point out something positive about latest DC Universe movies is the Aquaman and Shazam trailers do look fun and decent. I fear though so much damage has been done to the DC brand that both Aquaman and Shazam won't set the box office on fire.

10 minutes ago, Larryw7 said:

I think Shazam! has a chance to break out. But I don't think Aquaman is going to do very well, even if it's good.

I have the opposite view. I think Shazam will run the risk of being seen as a Marvel-like rip off, while Aquaman will benefit from Wan and Mamoa doing fine in the role in Justice League. Most of my friends, whether Marvel and DC fanboys, are taking the same initial stance. They were not impressed with the Shazam trailer as it seemed to be trying to have humor much too hard. I did not care for it since I like my hero films to be darker and more serious (like the Nolan Batman trilogy or Infinity War as a heavy film for Marvel). 

That being said, if kids like it then it will do well at the box office just like any other popular film targeted at the under 13 crowd. Kids will want to see it which means parents will have to go as well = $$$$$.

On 9/13/2018 at 4:55 AM, TwoPiece said:

People give Synder flak for BvS - a movie he didn't write, but he did write Wonder Woman, which many see as a great story film...

Snyder did not write the screenplay for Wonder Woman.  He co-wrote the story, along with two other people.  The screenplay was written by Allan Heinberg.

1 minute ago, nearmint said:

Snyder did not write the screenplay for Wonder Woman.  He co-wrote the story, along with two other people.  The screenplay was written by Allan Heinberg.

He still co-wrote it... My point was that Snyder is a great visual storyteller and director. People seem to blame him for all of DC's film problems, despite him probably being the only actual person who was/is "in power" with a plan for the universe. That's detailed by the stories that he did write/co-write and his ability to bring the comic panels to life on the big screen.

7 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

He still co-wrote it... My point was that Snyder is a great visual storyteller and director. People seem to blame him for all of DC's film problems, despite him probably being the only actual person who was/is "in power" with a plan for the universe. That's detailed by the stories that he did write/co-write and his ability to bring the comic panels to life on the big screen.

You stated that he wrote the movie.  I'm merely clarifying.

1 minute ago, nearmint said:

You stated that he wrote the movie.  I'm merely clarifying.

Doesn't really seem necessary, considering that I was talking about the story, but okay...

For clarity: Zack Snyder co-wrote Wonder Woman's story, and did not write Dawn of Justice's story. People consider WW to have a good story and the latter to be lacking (specifically in regards to the resolution between the titular heroes).

13 hours ago, kimik said:

I have the opposite view. I think Shazam will run the risk of being seen as a Marvel-like rip off, while Aquaman will benefit from Wan and Mamoa doing fine in the role in Justice League. Most of my friends, whether Marvel and DC fanboys, are taking the same initial stance. They were not impressed with the Shazam trailer as it seemed to be trying to have humor much too hard. I did not care for it since I like my hero films to be darker and more serious (like the Nolan Batman trilogy or Infinity War as a heavy film for Marvel). 

That being said, if kids like it then it will do well at the box office just like any other popular film targeted at the under 13 crowd. Kids will want to see it which means parents will have to go as well = $$$$$.

is it too much to hope that both will be good and the $ will deservedly flow?  the last thing we need is another SS fiasco where the public lines up and throws their $ at absolute garbage.