• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2000 CE: When pressing was restoration...
1 1

104 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Atlas Western #1s. :cloud9:

So that book - I'd like to get the slight spine roll removed, and some of the creases on the spine moved away. There's a lot of books like that in this pile.

3 hours ago, namisgr said:

Can't tell?  Sometimes it's not that hard to tell on an old book.

DD18pressed.thumb.jpg.a046e447ea3c1731f3d3d6a33497633c.jpg

FF11Curator.JPG.1baa5572ebf5b657bbf0197ea38e3c7c.JPG

Before and after:

FF36staplebefore.JPG.31c620a829d72885e3b1d38cd40fa79d.JPG FF36stapleafter.JPG.05d575ccac3cbd0980db040724bf88ae.JPG

JIM92WM.JPG.f14d8b30ee8ebec347ec93bf60aeee1f.JPG

And I bet every example graded higher. The system is rigged to support the aggressive press. Somebody explain to me why CGC ignores smeared ink and tucked staples.

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 2:32 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

That's great that you think I would be honest enough to not lie about the pressing status of my books now, but I don't trust that you would say the same thing on the chance that you lose...and, with the bar at 95%, you almost certainly would.

Well, that is not very nice from you to say such a thing. I am a man of my word and I have enough integrity to admit if I do a mistake and eat my words if I am proven wrong. How about you?

You could easily write in advance on a sheet of paper which books are pressed (by you or anyone else) and which ones are not and then compare with my results. No need to be very scientific here...

As a matter fact, I would almost be very happy if you could prove me wrong in a significant manner. That would mean that you would be such a good presser that I cannot differentiate your raw pressed books from raw unpressed books. I would be so happy! No more concern about pressing. :whee:

I would be in such awesomeness that I would send you all my flawed raw books for you to press them !!

But my bet would be that I will win that challenge. And I would even bet money on that.

My challenge is still valid to whomever wants to take it. You win and you will have an excellent pressing publicity.

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 2:32 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

"You would have lost anyway" are not the words of someone with an open mind on the issue. "You know it" are also not the words of someone with an open mind.

No lack of open minded-ness here, just confidence in my abilities to detect pressing..

However, I would not be as confident in a contest of detecting micro-trimming. This is very hard. I never did understand how CGC can claim they can detect micro-trimming but not pressing.. Oh wait, maybe I understand why...

The ultimate contest though for which I would suffer humiliating defeat would be a verbiage contest against you. For this, I am no match and I bow to the champion! (worship)

6 minutes ago, pickycollector said:

:sick: 

Another book wasted for squeezing the money out of it :facepalm:

Also an excellent example of how a pressed book can be identified. This is one that can easily be spotted. I don't see a problem with the label saying "apparent press." 

1 hour ago, bronze johnny said:

Also an excellent example of how a pressed book can be identified. This is one that can easily be spotted. I don't see a problem with the label saying "apparent press." 

None of the pressed books I have look like that example.

2 hours ago, pickycollector said:

However, I would not be as confident in a contest of detecting micro-trimming. This is very hard. I never did understand how CGC can claim they can detect micro-trimming but not pressing.. Oh wait, maybe I understand why...

An excellent point. CGC can detect micro trimming but not pressing. It's a rigged game. You either play or sit on the sidelines. I really have no problem with the fact that pressing is allowed, or that they have inhouse pressing. The aspect that bothers me is how they allow these flaws incurred from pressing to result in an improved game. A picture is worth a thousand words. How is this allowed to happen ?

AV-1_Saginaw_FC_zps5cc36572.jpg

14 hours ago, pickycollector said:

Well, that is not very nice from you to say such a thing. I am a man of my word and I have enough integrity to admit if I do a mistake and eat my words if I am proven wrong. How about you?

No offense, really, but...you and I have had a degree of conflict over the years. I don't trust you, and I wouldn't expect you to trust me. That's just the natural fallout from our personalities, not because you've committed a specific act of harm against me (and vice versa.) We're just oil and water; nothing wrong with that.

I would be in such awesomeness that I would send you all my flawed raw books for you to press them !!

lol

Like I said, I don't do pressing for others. It's not worth it. I spent nearly 3 hours yesterday removing ground in tape residue from a book, painstakingly working particle by particle, so as not to remove even a single molecule of underlying ink (on an early 70s Marvel matte-style cover, no less), without chemicals (of course.) I did it as a labor of love, and to see if I could. Working with delicate instruments under magnification...this is the kind of work the real professional art restorers get paid $75/hour to do. 

The ultimate contest though for which I would suffer humiliating defeat would be a verbiage contest against you. For this, I am no match and I bow to the champion! (worship)

I was watching a lecture yesterday about understanding where people are coming from...I can't link it, because it's quasi-political, but its title is "Not Answering The Question". by user "Counter Argument." He makes a point that more words, not less, means better communication. I've always lived by that rule here, because for all the moaning and complaining about "walls of text", the fact is, the average "wall" is far less than a typical newspaper column, and people ought to be seeking understanding, not complaining about having to read.

It's worth a watch.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

2 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

An excellent point. CGC can detect micro trimming but not pressing. It's a rigged game. You either play or sit on the sidelines. I really have no problem with the fact that pressing is allowed, or that they have inhouse pressing. The aspect that bothers me is how they allow these flaws incurred from pressing to result in an improved game. A picture is worth a thousand words. How is this allowed to happen ?

That was something altogether different; the attempt to "relocate" damage from the spine to the back cover by "adjusting" the spine. 

That's just awful, and no way should that book have been rewarded for that. 

Just disgusting.

5 hours ago, pickycollector said:
On 9/24/2018 at 9:34 AM, RockMyAmadeus said:

I enjoy pressing. It is absolutely restoration.

This deserves to be quoted in its own post !!!!!!

Please include the rest of that idea: "it is proper restoration."

To which I would add that it is "market acceptable" restoration.

6 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Is this called reverse spine alignment?

12 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

And I bet every example graded higher. The system is rigged to support the aggressive press. Somebody explain to me why CGC ignores smeared ink and tucked staples.

The graders love the starched collar look on the overhang.

Edited by namisgr